USB Puppy SUCKS

Booting, installing, newbie

USB Puppy SUCKS

#1 Post by Guest »

HI Guys,

The idea of having a OS on a USB stick is great, But bloody hard to do, I have spent the last three days going through every step a million times and still to no avail.

I am using a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB
Trying to make it work on a Toshiba Satellite 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram etc etc.
Bios settings are set to boot from removable device.

I have burnt ISO, tried to do it through the menu, then used iso buster and put file in manually. Then ran Linuxsys.. I have not put the complete zipped folder across only the config file. I am bout to give up on this idea, its starting to give me the ****S.

Great Idea but pain in the **** implement.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Have you asked for help? Or real men don't ask for directions?

Hey, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, please take my next comment lightly, you put the duck I had to shoot:

Maybe it's not puppy the one that sucks?

;)

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

There are some usb sticks that just won't boot. Check the wiki for known good and bad hardware.

I've never had any bother getting usbPuppy to work. Just followed the wizard and it worked.

I'd suggest trying to boot from another computer to double check whether it's a software, usb or pc problem.

#4 Post by Guest »

Partition, make sure you set boot flag, format to fat16

blackbelt

#5 Post by blackbelt »

make sure you use the latest version of that syslinux thing.. i had the same problems booting that you do until i used syslinux 3.11

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Cruzer's have come up before in the forum.
I vaguely recall solutions being posted... maybe that was on the previous forum.

#7 Post by Guest »

Look guys dont get wrong yes I might suck as well. I am computer literate to a degree. However I have tried all things and put my comments out last night around midnight. I have spent 3 solid days on this, sometimes you just cant see the forest for the trees.

Syslink does confuse me a little. I have downloaded 3.11 the latest veriosn, what should I so on the thumb drive??? Just a config file after a I have the exe???

Thanks

Guys dont mean to be putting the little puppy down, hell I am was born in West OZ. Although at the moe I am in down town Bangladesh, 5 weeks to go and I will be home YEEHAA.

Lobo

#8 Post by Guest »

#9 Post by Guest »

Well I give up. I have tried it on another PC and still won work. Tried both manual way and Puppy auto way. I will wait until I can buy another stick and see what comes up.

Thanks

aximum

#10 Post by aximum »

I've been using Puppy on 1Gb USB Stick for some time after testing distros like DSL or ThinClient, and I think this is the best solution avaliable. I also could translate all apps.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=16895#16895

So if you have any question please post it :)

dvw86

#11 Post by dvw86 »

I had the same problem with my USB stick. Puppy's wizard and syslinux would not make it boot-able. I finally installed Damn Small Linux on it which did work. After that I installed Puppy over the top of it and then Puppy worked as well. I have no idea why I had those symptoms or why DSL solved them, but it worked.

BadLife

#12 Post by BadLife »

I have the same USB Flash Drive you must delete the files that came on it or copy them to your hard drive. You can not have any files on the USB stick or it will not boot right. Then you must format it as FAT 16. Also you cannot run Puppy off the cd on the same machine. If you do you will need to delete the pup100 file from your disk. If you boot a diffrent USB stick with Puppy USB on it you will also have to delete the pup100 or pup001 file from your hard disk. This was giving me fits but that seem's to make it go as for Syslinux you just get the 3.11 version and unpack it then go to the win32 dir and run syslinux x: where x: is your USB stick. Hope this helps. If it works once and you have a problem delete pup100 or pup001 from your hard disk. I have no idea why that messes it up but I found that it was the problem for me. :roll:

aximum

#13 Post by aximum »

remember to run syslinux.exe -s unit: not syslinux.com

ozboomer

#14 Post by ozboomer »

I have this document that I wrote ages ago and it's been used by a few people with success (not on Cruzers though - they just don't seem to work).

Even though it was written for an old version of Puppy, the ideas of formatting the USB key to FAT16 inside Puppy and other points are still relevant I think.
Attachments
Puppy_USB.zip
Contains a text file that is a mini HOWTO on booting Puppy from a USB key and/or LiveCD
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

#15 Post by Guest »

Thanks guys,

I am about to give up on this one. I tried several PCs, tried the manual way and the auto way.

Made the stick blank b4 using with HP thingie.

I have used the CD to boot of though. Then inserted drive when OS is runnning, maybe thats where I am mucking up

Might buy another stick in bout 5 weeks when I am on my way to OZ, get a different brand and see if that helps
Lobo

raffy

Unfortunate Title

#16 Post by raffy »

The title of this thread is rather unfortunate, as USB install problems have always been solved in this forum.

An unpleasant conclusion made before the problem is detailed and help is requested - by an anonymous poster - is the truly unfortunate event here...

yoram

can you help me on this?

#17 Post by yoram »

Hi all,

puppy linux looks cool and I intend to use it for embedded computer with my program, but I have two problems:
1. I could not install it on a 1 gig USB flash memory no metter what I did.
2. I do not know if I can run my perl program on it.

Yes I am new to puppy linux but am working now for 3 days to install the puppy on my flash memory. here is what I did so far:
I manage to download and make a live-cd and run puppy linux with it.
I did download all parts puppy offers including syslinux 3.11 as I read of problems with older syslinux.
I format my flash with linux fs (as flashlinux demands) and back to fat16 as required by puppy. The flash seem to work well as memory but running syslinux.com g: (the flash memory) in the comman window (xp) worns me "an application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported"
Has some one any idea how to solve this? or should i buy another flash memory?
Please help!
yoram

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Unfortunate Title

#18 Post by Flash »

raffy wrote:The title of this thread is rather unfortunate, as USB install problems have always been solved in this forum.

An unpleasant conclusion made before the problem is detailed and help is requested - by an anonymous poster - is the truly unfortunate event here...
I've been keeping an eye on it, to see if it is resolved in a way that is helpful.

Is it chutzpah, or just uncommon stupidity, to insult people while asking them for help? :lol:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Unfortunate Title

#19 Post by Lobster »

Flash wrote: Is it chutzpah, or just uncommon stupidity, to insult people while asking them for help? :lol:
What ever it is - it sucks :evil:

PS. Chutzpah is a yiddisha word? I recently converted to Judaism. So far my Judaism consists of watching Woody Allen films (for clues) and trying to find a Rabbi willing to teach me Kabbalah (a tradition only taught to strict orthodox Jews) - not the Madonna/Jerry Hall mish-mash. What religion should I join next? Letters in an email to "Make Lobster and other heresies Kosher" Was thinking of paganism - they seem to like animals - some of them even seem to be animals . . .

Normal service is now resumed :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#20 Post by Rich »

Lobster.......get your ass to Whitby..........Goth week is fast approaching. Try that !