Puppy Saved a drive for me!!

Promote Puppy !
dettymac

Puppy Saved a drive for me!!

#1 Post by dettymac »

I have been playing with puppy since the new version came out. Set it up in Duel boot with Unbuntu 8.04 on old HP 1000 mhz machine. Don't think I will be booting into Unbuntu on that machine anymore.

Well I had this old laptop hard drive in USB enclosure that has been unrecognizable by any machine I put it in. Tried Zenwalk, Opensuse, Ubuntu 8.0, Ubuntu 7.0, win XP, Win vista, etc. None could mount this drive. Decided to take it out of closet and try and hook it up to the new distro I was playing with, and wow it mounted. Gave me a scary red message about not saving anything to the drive as it was corupt or something along those lines. But it let me retrieve the data all 100 gig with only one puppy crash. Very impressed thus far.

This distro has become a keeper for me and will be mailing some extra Ausse dollars to the address provided!!

Thanks alot Puppy

Evil20071

#2 Post by Evil20071 »

The NTFS mounting error is a classic one. I actually see that error lots on my WinXP HDD. (I wonder why). However, I've found that if I unmount the drive and then re-mount it, it does so without the NTFS errors. Also, you could run the Terminal mount command which is something like:

Code: Select all

mount ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1/ force -o
I'm not totally sure if that's right though. Let Me Google That For You. Try that first result. Mounting a File System BASH command.

According to that, the command would be:

Code: Select all

mount -t ntfs-3g -o force /dev/sdb1
Or something similar. I think the error message gives the exact command to use. In two flavors even. ^.^
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]