Live CD: no sound, no printer, how to use USB DSL modem?

Booting, installing, newbie
spike240

Live CD: no sound, no printer, how to use USB DSL modem?

#1 Post by spike240 »

Hi I am a complete novice, I have a copy of puppy on cd which i can successfully boot to puppy. However I don;t have sound. my soundchip is a Realtek AC97 audio. Also I have an Epson R200 printer and can't get that to work either. The last thing is I have broadband through a usb modem - is there any way I can connect using puppy?
Please remember although I am comfortable in windows I am as I said earlier a complete novice when it comes to Linux.
Many thanks

Brian

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Compete novice

#2 Post by Lobster »

I was a novice once (not that long ago). So was Barry who created Puppy. Please be patient and we will try and solve your problems one by one. First of all try the wizards from the start menu. It took you a long time to get comfortable with Windows - am I right? (clue - I am!) Many Puppys are still using XP or 98SE because these are (IMHO) excellent operating systems (there I said it!) BUT I prefer Puppy. It is smaller, cuter, more fun. Maybe one day you will prefer Puppy too. Take it easy.

Check out the Start /help (puppy menu) Check out the stickies top of this forum. Check out the wiki and Barrys web site. Check out the Rute Guide (wherever that is). Make a nice curry ( . . . well eh . . . that is not essential but it is tasty)

Welcome to the kennels.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

noip

#3 Post by noip »

I agree with everything Lobster said, especially about the curry.

Some points that may help you:

1. Get a network card. USB connection to ethernet only drains your computer and slows it down. Getting a network card is cheap, and makes connection to the internet easy. (I am assuming your modem also has an ethernet port, sorry).

2. You may find that sound IS working. I had the same problem with sound, but found if I played an mp3 with puppy that I had some sound. Still a work in progress, though.

3. Rute users guide ... http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Rgds

GS

ftgs

spike240

#4 Post by spike240 »

Thanks for replies - I will be patient - I use XP but I really would like to use a different OS. I'll keep plugging away with puppy. Oh and thanks for the welcome.

Regards
Brian

drtvasudevan

usb modem

#5 Post by drtvasudevan »

my son had a USB modem and searched the web extensively. there is no driver for usb modem in linux.
sound...i have same problems.
unfortunately there is no wizard for sound like network wiz etc.
rute's manual is extensive.
one needs to be patient and spend time over it.
am in that process.

tv
be happy! life is too short to be unhappy!