Starting from Scratch Live CD

Booting, installing, newbie
pixturesk

Starting from Scratch Live CD

#1 Post by pixturesk »

I am not of the computer generation so I will try to explain my problem. I am trying to run the Live CD of Puppy 1.0.5. For some reason my mouse will not move. I am using a USB Microsoft Optical Trackball mouse. On the initial setup, I thought that I was answering all the questions properly then when it came to setting my monitor resolution the mouse pointer was not moving. Then when the Puppy desktop came up my mouse would not move. So I ran the Live CD again but I guess my original settings were being used again, so the mouse would not work again. How can I start from scratch again? What do i type in as the info for my mouse, which I think is the only problem? Is there some file on my "C" drive that I have to erase? Please make your reply in laymans's language so that I can follow it. Thanks. This is very frustrating!! So far Kubuntu is the only live cd that runs flawlessly but it is a bit too much for me.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Hey! you are of the computer generation

Here it is:
Startup puppy. When the puppy desktop starts, keep the Ctrl and Alt keys pressed and press the <-Backspace key.

It should bring you to the console. [Black screen with blinking cursor.]

There type the following commands followed each one by the Enter key:

Code: Select all

rm /etc/mousedevice
startx
You should be prompted again for the mouse type.

pixturesk

#3 Post by pixturesk »

Thanks rarsa. I actually typed that command in and it prompted my for my mouse info again, then the mouse worked. Thanks. I also found the pup001 file on my c drive, which I am deleting, then starting from scratch again. I will let you know what happens.

pixturesk

#4 Post by pixturesk »

I am joining a Linux User's Group north of Toronto, will get them to help with an appeciation of Linux with further configuring Puppy 1.0.5. I just had to re-configure my ethernet connection so I could get on the internet. Kubuntu was able to configure everything from scratch. I'll play with both, am anxious to play with the Kubuntu 5.10 final release when it comes out soon. Thanks again.