HD Install without decompressing, want to leave it 60MB

Booting, installing, newbie
Menel

HD Install without decompressing, want to leave it 60MB

#1 Post by Menel »

Is this possible? I have a 320MB CF card in an IDE cradle. When I do the HDD install it expands to 279MB. This doesn't leave room for me to install JDE. It would also be nice if I could install JDK.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Hi,

you should not choose a full install on such a small drive.
Simply copy vmlinuz, image.gz, usr_cram.fs and pupp001 to the drive.
Then resize pup001 so that it fits the size of the drive.

Like this all files stay compressed, and you should have enough space to install JDK inside pup001.

Mark

Menel

#3 Post by Menel »

MU wrote:Hi,

you should not choose a full install on such a small drive.
Simply copy vmlinuz, image.gz, usr_cram.fs and pupp001 to the drive.
Then resize pup001 so that it fits the size of the drive.

Like this all files stay compressed, and you should have enough space to install JDK inside pup001.

Mark
That sounds about like what I would like. But I'm quite the noob. I need a bit more detail than that.

How do I make it boot.....With those 3 files only on the drive will GRUB install properly?

how do I resize pup001? hmmmm seems like I saw that somewhere on the puppy mainsite. I'll look.

Menel

#4 Post by Menel »

OH SWEET
grub did install without error :o

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

So, does that mean you got everything configured to work like you wanted?

Menel

#6 Post by Menel »

Not really, grub is installed...and I'm kinda guessing at what I need to put in the menu.lst based on what Bruce B showed me in another thread:

title Puppy on hdd1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup001-none-512288 PHOME=hda1 vga=normal
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz

But I'm not sure how to expant pup001 to fill the rest of the drive :(

Menel

#7 Post by Menel »

actually booting now....and I see a line where it says pup001 was createdand resized to 216941KBytes

maybe thats all I was needing it does it automatically. lol such a noob :(

it seems stuck here though...maybe its just slow since its CF. ill post back with success or failure momentarily.

Menel

#8 Post by Menel »

wow, I think it worked. Im running now, I'm assuming primarily out of RAM. I'll try and get some of my stuff installed now.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Menel wrote:Not really, grub is installed...and I'm kinda guessing at what I need to put in the menu.lst based on what Bruce B showed me in another thread:

title Puppy on hdd1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup001-none-512288 PHOME=hda1 vga=normal
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz

But I'm not sure how to expant pup001 to fill the rest of the drive :(
If you don't have 512 mb space on the drive, it is not a problem. The reason why is Puppy will determine the available free space and make a pup001 file about 8 mb less than the free space.

For example, if you only have about 40 mb free space, Puppy will make a pup001 about 32 mb. In other words 512288 is a requested size, not an arbitray size.

So, if you want to fill the drive make the requested size larger than the available free space. Pretty simple, once you understand Puppy's nature.