Dingo NOP 4.0 is Available

News, happenings
davec51

Adding OpenOffice

#16 Post by davec51 »

I have an OpenOffice .sfs that I have used with Dingo. Now I am changing to Dingo NOP 4.0 (love the look of it), but I can't discover how to direct the bootup to add it. Please help.

davec51

Changing Icon on Desktop

#17 Post by davec51 »

Is there any way to change the icons on items newly added to the desktop in Dingo NOP 4.0? I have dragged several shortcuts there, but I'd like to add snazzier icons than are given by default.

WhoDo

Re: Changing Icon on Desktop

#18 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:Is there any way to change the icons on items newly added to the desktop in Dingo NOP 4.0? I have dragged several shortcuts there, but I'd like to add snazzier icons than are given by default.
Right click the new item and choose {name}>set icon. Then drag your new icon and drop it in the box. Voila!

Are you still using PCLinuxOS too?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

setecio

Re: Adding OpenOffice

#19 Post by setecio »

davec51 wrote:I have an OpenOffice .sfs that I have used with Dingo. Now I am changing to Dingo NOP 4.0 (love the look of it), but I can't discover how to direct the bootup to add it. Please help.
When moving from NOP2.16 to NOP3.01, the goffice file had to be renamed from goffice_216.sfs to goffice_301.sfs

I suggest it might be the same in this case ... try renaming the OpenOffice sfs file to _400.sfs or_40.sfs and try.

davec51

Problems Solved

#20 Post by davec51 »

Thanks, WhoDo and seteclo. I can always count on someone on this forum to answer my naive questions.

davec51

Re: Changing Icon on Desktop

#21 Post by davec51 »

WhoDo wrote:
davec51 wrote:Is there any way to change the icons on items newly added to the desktop in Dingo NOP 4.0? I have dragged several shortcuts there, but I'd like to add snazzier icons than are given by default.
Right click the new item and choose {name}>set icon. Then drag your new icon and drop it in the box. Voila!

Are you still using PCLinuxOS too?
Oops, the solution works for jwm, but this is xfce, and that doesn't seem to have a "set icon" option in the context menu.
No, I got away from PCLinuxOS a while ago, not through dissatisfaction but a from constant desire for newness. I guess this impulse is what causes men to cheat on their wives.

setecio

#22 Post by setecio »

The discussion thread for NOP4.0 is now in the derivatives section

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29031

kayan

#23 Post by kayan »

@grey
thanks for Dingo NOP 4, it has made my shift from windoze TOTAL..
thanks once again for the excellent os

geneven

Putting down Windows

#24 Post by geneven »

"thanks for Dingo NOP 4, it has made my shift from windoze TOTAL..
thanks once again for the excellent os"

Oh, how I want to reformat my laptop and only run Linux on it. Instead, I am using this version of Linux, and Windowmaker, from a flash drive.

What stops me? Almost entirely, text to speech. I can't pass up Microsoft Reader. I'm listening to Fellowship of the Rings right now. Linux has nothing to compare, alas. Recently I went thru all the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornw(e or a)ll.

Maybe I could make a big try to use Wine, which I have used in the past, but it seems inherently messy to me.

It's just too convenient. I got a copy of the Tolkein books in .rar format, whatever that was. In Windows, I quickly uncompressed the file, and then they were in .html format. I opened them with Microsoft Word and then could easily put them in Microsoft Reader format. A snap, almost requiring no thought.

I Linux, I couldn't do that at all, and even trying would have been a huge logistical hassle.

What I REALLY need is a way to run Windows XP on a flash drive, for the rare occasions when I need it. Then I could happily dedicate my laptops to Linux -- my desktop computer is already all Linux all the time, and has been for a year or two.

Sorry, this is off-topic. Dingo NOP 4 is working great for me! Firefox 3 RC 2 keeps shutting down for me, so I am sticking to Opera to a large extent.

runtt21

#25 Post by runtt21 »

Is NOP4 still available? OOPS found it you need to go to the http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP page , the other links dont work