How to Access a Windows Shared Printer from Puppy 4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mpierrat25

#16 Post by mpierrat25 »

@guerry

unziping is OK however I suppose, I have to execute the file cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2

if I try that I got a bad interpreter error
if I try sh cups.... I got an exit(0)

in fact the script is supposed to use /bin/csh

what can we do?

mpierrat25

gerry

#17 Post by gerry »

Sorry- you are beyond anything that I know about. I'll probably get expelled from the forum for this- but it might be easier with a Debian based distro, so that installing your driver just comes naturally.

Gerry

mpierrat25

#18 Post by mpierrat25 »

@gerry,

Do not mind, the script problem is now fixed. I needed unrpm and csh to
install properly. see :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31949

Now that I'm sure the cups print correctly, I will work on smb.

To be follows

gerry

#19 Post by gerry »

Just in case anyone with Puppy 3.01 feels like trying it- don't. Easy problem: smbspool is in /usr/bin/, not /opt/samba/bin.

Insuperable problem (for my expertise) is that cups keeps asking for authentication, and never gets as far as printing anything. This is the version of cups that needs a password to do anything- someone on another thread asked why BK changed back to an older cups for 4.0- maybe this is why??

Gerry

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#20 Post by Béèm »

Pretty complicated as procedure. Didn't imagine this.
But a question tho.
My XP printer is defined as shared.
When I look for shares with pnethood for shares on my XP machine, it finds the printer as print$. I can mount that printer. And a directory is made containing exe's end dll's in subdirectories.

Can the printer be addressed through this way?

If not, and seeing this thread, it looks to me it's simpler to unplug the printer from the desktop (MD8818) and plug it into the laptop (USB connection) and define the printer in CUPS. Well in my case maybe.
(P.S. wanted to upload a picture, but got a msg max filesize is reached. Have to sort that out first)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

gerry

#21 Post by gerry »

Well, I'm giving up! It worked fine when I set it up a month ago, but then, after a couple of weeks, suddenly stopped. I think I've checked just about everything, and it won't work. What changed, I can't imagine, but it's at the Puppy end, not Windows, as I have the same setup with Debian, and that still works.

Gerry

EDIT: my problem has morphed into one that has plagued me through all versions of Puppy: my printer is not supported by Gutenprint, so I use a driver from Canon. When I first tried Dingo, the problem had gone away- my printer worked. Now, something happened, and it doesn't.

Ah well...

What I have found out is that the full URI for a samba printer should be:

smb://user-name-on-windows:password@workgroup/network-name-of-windows-pc/shared-printer-name

gerry

#22 Post by gerry »

Go to topic t=32508 for how to do it in Puppy 301.

Gerry

Phoebe's_Dad

Re: How to Access a Windows Shared Printer from Puppy 4

#23 Post by Phoebe's_Dad »

What if I don't see "Windows Printer Via Samba" despite 'following orders'?
rcrsn51 wrote:Puppy 4 has the CUPS printing system built-in. However there is a small bug that must be fixed before it can access a Windows shared printer.

This exercise assumes that you have found a suitable PPD file for your Windows printer and installed it in /usr/share/cups/model. Before starting, go to your Windows computer and locate its machine name and the name of the shared printer.

In Puppy, verify that you have the file /opt/samba/bin/smbspool

Then go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/backend

Inside this folder you need to make a symlink to the smbspool file and name it "smb". Open a console inside the folder and type:

ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool smb

Restart CUPS with the following command (or reboot Puppy):

/etc/init.d/cups restart

Open the CUPS web interface at http://localhost:631/

Go to Admin Tasks and start adding a new printer.

At the bottom of the Device list you should see "Windows Printer via Samba"

Make the device URI smb://PCNAME/PRINTERNAME

Select your printer manufacturer and model.

Go to Manage Printers and print a test page.

You may have problems if the Windows host denies access to the Puppy client. In that case, you should try a URI that provides authentication. For example,

smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@PCNAME/PRINTERNAME
or
smb://WORKGROUP/USERNAME:PASSWORD@PCNAME/PRINTERNAME

If you need to set up printing from a Windows machine to a Puppy printer, read here.

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are some things to check.

1. What version of Puppy are you using?

2. Go into the folder /usr/lib/cups/backend. Do you see an icon named "smb" with an arrow on it? Is it a shortcut to the file /opt/samba/bin/smbspool?

3. Run the CUPS admin interface. Start adding a new printer. Under Device, scroll down to the very bottom of the list. Is "Windows Printer via Samba" there?

Phoebe's_Dad

#25 Post by Phoebe's_Dad »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here are some things to check.

1. What version of Puppy are you using?

2. Go into the folder /usr/lib/cups/backend. Do you see an icon named "smb" with an arrow on it? Is it a shortcut to the file /opt/samba/bin/smbspool?

3. Run the CUPS admin interface. Start adding a new printer. Under Device, scroll down to the very bottom of the list. Is "Windows Printer via Samba" there?
Sorry,

1. Dingo 4.00

2. not seeing that smb icon

Hmmm

Thanks...

shri

How to Access a Windows Shared Printer from Puppy 4

#26 Post by shri »

Hi rcrsn51
I am tring to install windows share printer from puppy.i tried all instrution as per your command.
I am sucessefully installed windows share printer in minisys.
But when i am tring to installing windows share printer in pcpuppyos using kernal (Linux pcpuppyos 2.6.21.7 #1 Sun Sep 9 02:29:54 GMT-8 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux)
The printer was set when i click on (Printer Test Page) its give me an error ("/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed")
why should happend whether i am doing wrong or any other else.
plese give me solution of it for windos shared printing.
thanks
shri

cptncatholic

#27 Post by cptncatholic »

Phoebe's Dad:

If you're not seeing the smb icon in /usr/lib/cups/backend , then SAMBA won't be included in the Device list in cups. Just fixed that myself.

So, open up ROX, navigate to /usr/lib/cups/backend, right-click on some whitespace in that directory, choose "Window" and then "Terminal Here" from the submenu.

Type: ln -s /opt/samba/bin/smbspool smb

An icon for 'smb' with an arrow on it should appear in the ROX window. If it doesn't, then /opt/samba/bin/smbspool may not exist. We'll have to fix that.

If you have the 'smb' icon, then go back to the terminal window and type:

/etc/init.d/cups restart

then type exit.

If you have the CUPS manager open already, close it and re-open it using the wizard. "Windows Printing using SAMBA" should be listed as the *last* option in the device list...

Keep us posted

Okay now, I have a problem of my own, and it's the same one exProphecy had.
exProphecy wrote:I'm getting this error:
"Tree connect failed (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)"
I've tried all the smb:// configurations that have been suggested and I've tried resetting up the windows network on our XP machine where said printer is being shared. And I'm still not getting a connection. Any one have any insights to this problem?

gerry

#28 Post by gerry »

Have you tried turning off ALL firewalls on your Windows machine?

Gerry

stevetimar

Access a windows shared printer

#29 Post by stevetimar »

I start puppy 4.00 with a boot disk and then switch to a multisession disk at the boot prompt.
I can connect my Brother HL-2040 printer to a usb port and it works fine. I've tried several different ways when it is connected to a windows print server.
I followed the instructions of rcrsn51 posted on May 8,2008 regarding "Windows Printer via Samba."
When I click print test page nothing happens. I click the printer name and Cups states: (Printer State:stopped, accepting jobs,
Device URI:SMB//LK97EA63/Brother HL-2040 series)
Each time I click start printer and print test page, I get this same result.
Is my device uri incorrect? LK97EA63 is the print server connected to the router. The printer name is as it is listed under properties in windows.
I won't want to have to connect the printer to a usb port every time I boot puppy. Any suffestions would be appreciated.

gerry

#30 Post by gerry »

Have you checked the "share" tab of the printer properties? On my windows machine the printer's "sharename" is different from its installed name (ie, the name under its icon).

Gerry

stevetimar

Access a windows shared printer

#31 Post by stevetimar »

I am using the shared name. I even tried inserting the workgroup name after:smb://. It did not work. I communicate via a Orinoco wireless PC card to a Linksys wireless access point, which uses encryption. I connect to the internet, so I should be able to connect to the printer.
Any other suggestions?

newbie314

#32 Post by newbie314 »

I've got this working, but I can only do it with the name of the computer.
I would like to do that by IP number instead.
I've tried but smb doesn't seem to connect that way.

I would prefer this, then most likely I can connect a puppy to a puppy machine with no issue for printing.

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would prefer this, then most likely I can connect a puppy to a puppy machine with no issue for printing.
Do you mean that you want to connect a printer to a Puppy machine and make it available to other networked Puppy machines?

If this is your intent, you don't need to do anything! Once you have CUPS running, it will automatically broadcast its presence to other Puppy computers.

newbie314

#34 Post by newbie314 »

Okay I didn't know that.
I thought I needed to set the samba server.
So how do I access the network printer (on a Puppy Machine) from the CUPS (on another Puppy Machine)?
How does it show up?

Also, I would still like to connect from Puppy->Win printer, but through IP and not name. Can I do this?

newbie314

#35 Post by newbie314 »

So how do I see the networked printer in CUPS?
Network printer is on a puppy machine.
The machine I'm trying to connect from is a puppy machine.
Do I use IP? What option in the CUPS configuration?
Thanks