The pup001 file---a newbie`s compendium

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Puppy Dog

The pup001 file---a newbie`s compendium

#1 Post by Puppy Dog »

pup001 is: 1. Merely a file on a hard drive that saves your documents and settings.
2. Part of a completely contained operating system when used in conjunction with the cd.
3. and more-- BUT these two are necessary to understand in the beginning especially if you didn`t get a chance to read the screen during the first boot.
Where is it? --not really important to know for some,however---
In my case pup001 resides on C:\ in Windows 98 (by default). You can, with the right tools read what`s inside it (not necessary or advised just yet). You can also rename it,delete it,resize it(use Puppy for this), or add other pup001`s along side of it(best to use the cd I think); but just like a litter of puppies ------each one will need it`s own name ----- ( pup001-a ----- pup001-snoopy-----or whatever).
Don`t forget to leave only one with the name pup001. When you place the cd in and restart ------that`s the only one that will be recognized.

Each can in itself be a great learning tool or storage tool. Each is it`s own complete little operating system (PuppyLinux).
You can tinker with it, play with it, download to it, learn how to use files----all with no fear of anything like "the blue screen of death" because-----------IT`S JUST A FILE--------mess up, and you can delete it and start a fresh pup001 in 3 minutes if you so choose. Don`t worry, your original operating system will still be there. (but I bet you can`t reinstall it in 3 minutes if you had to)

I`m just a newbie. Someday I hope to bring it up a notch and install Puppy on a hard drive (I`m not sure if it will be as much fun ), a usb device, create my own version of Puppy, go wireless and even use this forum correctly---but for now I`ve found that I can experience and learn PuppyLinux (great help reads throughout) with one single file contained within most any "other" operating system.

P.S. My current kennel consists of 6--Pizzagood`s my favorite
P.P.S. Those with more experience or knowledge please feel free to add or correct.
"Best In Show"