A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Removed. The information was unmaintained and out of date.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 25 Nov 2019, 12:41, edited 39 times in total.

erikson

Re: A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

#2 Post by erikson »

rcrsn51 wrote:The attached document (...) discusses the various decisions that a user must make before starting the installation process
Excellent initiative. Lobster's wikka-wakka publication makes it even more accessible.

Comment: surely it would be useful to mention also the USB pendrive alternative, that reduces the risk of messing up an existing Windows OS (on hard disk) to nearly zero.

Actually I used your (rcrsn51's) pup2usb of thread 16950 ;-)
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

This is a very good idea.

Now all we need to do is get the file in the Puppy ISO and have it pretty easily found, perhaps displayed as part of the Universal Installer?

Thanks to rcrsn51 for writing and Lobster for hosting.

ICPUG

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

In response to the suggestions above, I have made a few changes and uploaded a new copy of my file. [Edit] I have also updated the entry in Lobster's wiki.

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Just a couple of comments for someone to add.
If playing around with partitions/repartitioning - make a small swap partition at the same time.
If intending to adopt the FULL installation option, the new partition needs to be formatted before running the PUI.
Probably also mention somewhere about using pfix=ram boot parameter.
Maybe it isn't made entirely clear that a FULL install actually decompresses the files (only that the word 'compress' wasn't invoked - something that will be well understood by SuperStor/Doublespace refugees).
Possibly scope for a brief outline of the advantages and disadvantages of FULL & FRUGAL based on available resources and operator intentions?

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

This post is meant to be accepted with some humour, but not too much.

The Guide presumes Windows exists and the person installing Puppy Linux wants to keep Microsoft Windows.

The Guide fortunately does not (and should not) presume that Microsoft Windows is still functioning well.

While the Guide cannot cover every situation, the funny part to me is the truth that most people who install Puppy Linux really do value their Microsoft Windows installation and want to keep and preserve it.

I suppose the best place to install Puppy is where Windows was, before you formatted that partition as a Linux partition.

------------------

oblivious

#7 Post by oblivious »

Yes, good idea.

Can I make a suggestion about the layout - to divide the information up and include headings and number the options? For example, if you have headings "Decision 1 - What kind of installation method to choose", etc. then a reader who might already know what method they want (or whatever) can jump to the next heading.

If there are additional headings such as "what you need to know before starting" "what are the options" "potential problems" "alternatives" (or whatever) then it makes it more digestible.

If the options are numbered, it makes it easy to see that there is a finite number (I think that it can be overwhelming as a newbie to be confronted with a lot of info/options) and also helps someone who comes back to the guide after going off to read up on partitioning (or whatever they might need more background on) to easily return to an option they had read previously.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

The Guide presumes Windows exists and the person installing Puppy Linux wants to keep Microsoft Windows.
I wouldn't necessarily presume that they *want* to keep M$W, more a question of retaining a lifetimes' accumulation of info, contacts, data that simply cannot be usefully be transferred to another OS. It's that old Irish joke again about from whence one starts out....

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Sage,

The qualifier is you much accept it with some humour (but not much).

Bruce

urban soul
Location: "Killing a nerd is not as much fun as ist sounds" B.Simpson

#10 Post by urban soul »

cool, but if you mention dd you must give additional info on using it. Or cut the incomplete part out. This refers to the wiki page.

Urban

Skull Girl

#11 Post by Skull Girl »

Question: What is Java Script? To be honest, I hardly know anything about computers, I'm a bookworm.

Daz

#12 Post by Daz »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript

It's commonly used in webpages for various things such as roll over effects. (Keep in mind that I haven't read what the author of this topic posted)

Zopiac

#13 Post by Zopiac »

what I need is a guide as to what files to download to burn to a cd, etc., without referencing window$...

yantux

#14 Post by yantux »

How I can remove software from puppy 4.00 that installed in hdd?

Now, I can't do it:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=33139

windows package manager don't see installed packega too.

faxmebeer

Windows doesn't exist

#15 Post by faxmebeer »

This has been brought up a couple of times as a possibility, but I don't understand what the implications are. I want to install Puppy on a computer that has no functioning Windows OS. It's there, somewhere, but it won't boot up. What do I need to do differently to get Puppy to load up on an essentially blank HD?

DanYHKim

Install to a new, blank HDD

#16 Post by DanYHKim »

Your question implies a computer that had been running some form of Windows. It no longer boots, and you do not wish to continue using the previous Windows setup as the primary OS. I am assuming that you do not care to preserve the documents and other data on the hard drive, but are willing to re-initialize the drive and start 'fresh'.

Is this correct? It is possible that the previous OS and environment can be restored, and the computer used as before with Windows without switching to a whole new OS, which is an entirely different issue.

Because Puppy is very compact and efficient, it really can be fully functional while living in a rather small corner of your hard drive, unless the machine in question is rather old. If your hard drive is over a couple of gigabytes, you still have the option to create a NTFS or FAT32 partition for installing Windows.

- - -

The rest of your question implies that the computer will not boot from the hard drive. So, you need to see if it will boot from the CD-ROM drive or from a USB device. It may be necessary to adjust your BIOS settings to have the computer boot from the CD-ROM drive before the hard drive.

Once a Puppy Linux LiveCD had booted your computer, you can actually mount and access your previously-dead hard drive to see its files. You may even be able to install GRUB to the hard drive so it can initiate the boot-up and start Windows. Puppy Linux, or any other LiveCD boot-up does not need the hard drive at all, so it's good for rescuing non-booting hard drive data.

So, do you want to rescue your non-booting PC, or do you want to do a complete re-working of the computer with Puppy? That will determine what you do next.

I hope this is of some help.

DCFC79

#17 Post by DCFC79 »

Do i need to do anything before i burn puppy to a cd for example use an error checker like when i downloaded ubuntu before

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#18 Post by Béèm »

DCFC79 wrote:Do i need to do anything before i burn puppy to a cd for example use an error checker like when i downloaded ubuntu before
Yes, run a md5sum check.
The md5sum is a downloadable item as well as well as the corresponding ISO.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DCFC79

#19 Post by DCFC79 »

Béèm wrote:
DCFC79 wrote:Do i need to do anything before i burn puppy to a cd for example use an error checker like when i downloaded ubuntu before
Yes, run a md5sum check.
The md5sum is a downloadable item as well as well as the corresponding ISO.
cheers thankyou, ive used md5sum to do the checksum bit and i cant find the md5 so i can compare it using the checker, the program created a notepad file and im guessing i find the checksum in that right,

is what im asking detailed anywhere to save me asking

john.adam

#20 Post by john.adam »

Sage wrote:Just a couple of comments for someone to add.
If playing around with partitions/repartitioning - make a small swap partition at the same time.
If intending to adopt the FULL installation option, the new partition needs to be formatted before running the PUI.
Probably also mention somewhere about using pfix=ram boot parameter.
Maybe it isn't made entirely clear that a FULL install actually decompresses the files (only that the word 'compress' wasn't invoked - something that will be well understood by SuperStor/Doublespace refugees).
Possibly scope for a brief outline of the advantages and disadvantages of FULL & FRUGAL based on available resources and operator intentions?
Hi Sega

Thanks for this all info. I already have put it up.

John