A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
edwin.evans

Confused about implications of full versus Frugal

#136 Post by edwin.evans »

I'm confused about the implications of full versus Frugal. I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.

Is this because I'm doing the wrong type of install?
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?
What do I need to do to not risk losing changes if the power is killed without any warning?

Thanks!

rcrsn51

Re: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

edwin.evans wrote:I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.
A regular frugal install to a hard drive works in PUPMODE=12. That means that your work is immediately written into the save file.

But devices like flash drives and memory cards work in PUPMODE=13, which only saves periodically. The intent is to minimize writing to the device and extend its life.

However, you can convert your SD setup to PUPMODE=12 using the instructions here.
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?
No. Puppy doesn't allow that option.

edwin.evans

#138 Post by edwin.evans »

Thanks you! That clears things up a lot.

During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

edwin.evans wrote:During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?
I have no idea. But one forum member ran a flash drive in PUPMODE=12 for months with no problems.

Pelo

PPM : Do it yourself

#140 Post by Pelo »

In ubuntu repositories from PPM, a lot of dependancies have to be installed.
How can i choose which ones. IF i install all, the package is too big.
You, you know what is necessary.
Thanks for help, sirs.

jpeps

Re: PPM : Do it yourself

#141 Post by jpeps »

Pelo wrote:In ubuntu repositories from PPM, a lot of dependancies have to be installed.
How can i choose which ones. IF i install all, the package is too big.
You, you know what is necessary.
Thanks for help, sirs.
You could just run ldd on the exec and get what you need. I also use PetCheck to eliminate installation of duplicate files.

FeodorF

Hooking up a CAD-CRT to Puppy Precise 5.7.1 [Solved]

#142 Post by FeodorF »

Little story right here.

I have an old CAD CRT (top quality, crystal clear picture) it can display up to 1280x1024x32bit. I tried to get it to work with the Puppy Precise 5.7.1 live CD. The problem occurred right after reboot - running into a black screen with blinking cursor. I had done a frugal install, but it didn't work.

The pupsave file was saved on a USB stick (8GB, FAT32). Using an LED LCD instead of the CRT made a difference - that worked.

After two days I remembered what forum member 'rcrsn51' had said about Barry's marker file for screen detection. 'It needs a partition with Linux id to work properly.'

Yeah! That's what I did today - formated the 8GB USB stick to 'ext3'. (Boy, nobody is perfect!)

...works great now!...

Greetings,
Feodor

mikeslr

Puppy Linux Window's Installer

#143 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I apologize if it's been mentioned before. But as this thread is a "sticky" and one of the first places a beginner will look for information regarding installing Puppy, I thought it to be a good place to provide a link to Shinobar's Puppy Linux Window Installer. Essentially, it's a program you run under windows --95 thru Windows 8, but see the limitation spelled out in the link-- which will install Puppies to your computer and enable you to dual boot both the installed Puppy and your Window OS.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 720#462720. Only a few versions of Puppy come in that format. But once one is installed, you can follow the instructions on the following links to add other Puppies and, if you desire, delete Windows (and your initial Puppy) from your hard drives.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 842#762842

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 157#710157

mikesLr

EdgarC

#144 Post by EdgarC »

Cant dual boot windows 8 and puppy.

Disabled secure boot and uefi, but still does not work.

What to do?

It keep telling me it did not find a file(which is present, but it like it cant see the the drive)

Yelisey

f2fs for internal partition ssd drive

#145 Post by Yelisey »

How can I do bootable Puppy with f2fs?

starhawk

#146 Post by starhawk »

Yelisey, please start a separate thread in Beginner's Help for your issue.

EdgarC, I don't know if you're still around and having issues -- but if you are, same deal, please start a new thread.

fossiili

To get Puppy runnng from a sd-card

#147 Post by fossiili »

Gentlemen,

I have an EeePC701 and it's ssd-disk is broken. I managed to get it running starting from usb-flash with Knoppix installation. But I would prefer to get Puppy Linux and also to get Puppy runnng from a sd-card.

I have along time ago used temporary Puppy Linux from cd, when it was possible to load Puppy to memory. This time I wanted it to start from sd-card becouse the usb-dongle is not nice to have sticked to the side of EeePC. I have enlarged the EeePC:s memory to 2 Gb so it will work well with Puppy.

There seems to be a lot of different versions of Puppy and may be Quirky Unicorn 6.2 could do. And a possibility to install Puppy to sd-card, some discussion of that I have noticed. But I have some difficulties to follow orfind the origin of the discussion.

I have already downloaded devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs and tested it by md5sum. So please, could you give me advice how to proceed. Or should I use some other version of Puppy? I have some old PC's and installed Linux-distributions on them and also WindowsXP and Windows7.

Some help I need, I'm not young and smart (80 years) :roll:

Fossil

#148 Post by Fossil »

As one Fossil to another - Hi! :lol: Have you seen this thread? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97380

smokey01

#149 Post by smokey01 »

If you follow the directions in this video you should be able to boot from a SD card. I have in the past.
http://smokey01.com/videos/Puppy_on_Flash.mpeg

fossiili

Downloaded devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, how to proceed with sfs-file

#150 Post by fossiili »

Thank you both for the information given. But I have two basic questions before I can proceed:

1. I have used an iso-file when installing Linux-distributions. Ones an other type of file to get a usb-flash installation. What shall I do with sfs-files :?:

2. Or would you recommend me to use some other version of Puppy than "Barry's Quirky Unicorn 6.2" :roll:

If I find any modern Pyppy version I can handle, I prepare a Puppy cd. I have a separate movable cd/dvd-drive (burner) which I can easily connect to my EeePC and proceed to install Puppy on "hard disk", in this case to a sd-card ready in the slot of the EeePC.

So, some kind of answer to my questions 1. or 2. or any opinion or hint, but no video's please, I have a slow line and can not follow the English spoken in them :oops:

RetroTechGuy

Re: Downloaded devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, how to proceed with sfs-file

#151 Post by RetroTechGuy »

fossiili wrote:Thank you both for the information given. But I have two basic questions before I can proceed:

1. I have used an iso-file when installing Linux-distributions. Ones an other type of file to get a usb-flash installation. What shall I do with sfs-files :?:
SFS files go with the rest of the boot files. If they are additional, you will need to add them (I'm assuming that you are doing a frugal install). Bootmanager will let you add and remove SFS toolboxes,

Since my eee didn't have a CD drive, I plugged my SD card into a SD/USB adapter, and installed on a different machine, then plugged it in.

I have also done the install using an internal CD drive, plugged into a ISE/USB adapter (plug the DC drive into the USB and boot from that drive). I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 812119152&

On my 900eee, you can only boot from the right side USB, and I have also used a bootable USB thumb drive, and then installed onto the SD card.
2. Or would you recommend me to use some other version of Puppy than "Barry's Quirky Unicorn 6.2" :roll:

If I find any modern Pyppy version I can handle, I prepare a Puppy cd. I have a separate movable cd/dvd-drive (burner) which I can easily connect to my EeePC and proceed to install Puppy on "hard disk", in this case to a sd-card ready in the slot of the EeePC.

So, some kind of answer to my questions 1. or 2. or any opinion or hint, but no video's please, I have a slow line and can not follow the English spoken in them :oops:
There is another discussion of the 701eee here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97380

I have a 900eee (1GB RAM), and have run 5.28 on it, loading from the SD card in the side... And on low memory machines, have run LupuMini (333MHz, 256MB RAM). It looks like you have 2GB RAM, which is plenty.

Current 5.28 family:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

My newer machines are being upgraded to LupuSuper1.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

fossiili

#152 Post by fossiili »

Now I understand more than when starting to use Puppy again. I found an iso-file for Puppy 6.2.1.91 it's Quirky Release by Barry.

I used the cd starting one of the newest of my computers. That Puppy works well, but:
- I think I have read that Quirky needs a x86_64 processor what my old Eee701 do not have
- I could not find any method to install Quirky permanently for ex. on hard disk, it probably is possible, but not for me :oops:

But Puppy Tahr 6.0.2. PAE or nonPAE versions seems to be easier for me to use. I am now running it and writing this text. And the best thing is that I have found from this living Puppy from Install-icon the method to install Puppy to some media. That was lacking from the version Quirky, for reason I do not understand :?:

So I think I can proceed now :arrow:

tigersong

#153 Post by tigersong »

Almost done following the Lin'n'Win instructions. Too bad there's not much chance of more Puppies being added.

mikeslr

Note to Moderators & rcrsn51

#154 Post by mikeslr »

This thread is a sticky, among the first posts intended to help beginners.

rcrsn51 started it 7 years ago, long before Windows boxes were sold with Windows 7 installed, before Windows boxes came with Windows 8.1's travesty called "secure boot", before shinobar posted his How to "Keep your savefile slim and healthy" and before jpep's posted his How to "Remove automatic pupsave for frugal installs."

The thread still contains valuable information. But now Beginners may have to read through 11 pages of posts, and probably read thru the threads resulting from shinobar's and jpep's posts. And, frankly, many will also need to be aware of the instructions Barry K provided regarding "secure boot".

Isn't it time for the thread to be edited?

mikesLr

mikeslr

Windows 8/8.1 Prequel to Installing Puppy

#155 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

If your computer came with Windows 8 or 8.1, before it will recognize Puppy Linux as a bootable OS you'll have to take some steps to prepare it.

Barry Kauler discusses what you have to do to boot Quirky. Except for the last part of the post, which deals specifically with using Quirky's installer, everything he wrote pertains to booting any Pup. http://bkhome.org/quirky/uefi.htm.

For an alternate How To with Pictures, follow the links on this post.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 159#858159

mikesLr