A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
RetroTechGuy

Re: Downloaded devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, how to proceed with sfs-file

#151 Post by RetroTechGuy »

fossiili wrote:Thank you both for the information given. But I have two basic questions before I can proceed:

1. I have used an iso-file when installing Linux-distributions. Ones an other type of file to get a usb-flash installation. What shall I do with sfs-files :?:
SFS files go with the rest of the boot files. If they are additional, you will need to add them (I'm assuming that you are doing a frugal install). Bootmanager will let you add and remove SFS toolboxes,

Since my eee didn't have a CD drive, I plugged my SD card into a SD/USB adapter, and installed on a different machine, then plugged it in.

I have also done the install using an internal CD drive, plugged into a ISE/USB adapter (plug the DC drive into the USB and boot from that drive). I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 812119152&

On my 900eee, you can only boot from the right side USB, and I have also used a bootable USB thumb drive, and then installed onto the SD card.
2. Or would you recommend me to use some other version of Puppy than "Barry's Quirky Unicorn 6.2" :roll:

If I find any modern Pyppy version I can handle, I prepare a Puppy cd. I have a separate movable cd/dvd-drive (burner) which I can easily connect to my EeePC and proceed to install Puppy on "hard disk", in this case to a sd-card ready in the slot of the EeePC.

So, some kind of answer to my questions 1. or 2. or any opinion or hint, but no video's please, I have a slow line and can not follow the English spoken in them :oops:
There is another discussion of the 701eee here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97380

I have a 900eee (1GB RAM), and have run 5.28 on it, loading from the SD card in the side... And on low memory machines, have run LupuMini (333MHz, 256MB RAM). It looks like you have 2GB RAM, which is plenty.

Current 5.28 family:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

My newer machines are being upgraded to LupuSuper1.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

fossiili

#152 Post by fossiili »

Now I understand more than when starting to use Puppy again. I found an iso-file for Puppy 6.2.1.91 it's Quirky Release by Barry.

I used the cd starting one of the newest of my computers. That Puppy works well, but:
- I think I have read that Quirky needs a x86_64 processor what my old Eee701 do not have
- I could not find any method to install Quirky permanently for ex. on hard disk, it probably is possible, but not for me :oops:

But Puppy Tahr 6.0.2. PAE or nonPAE versions seems to be easier for me to use. I am now running it and writing this text. And the best thing is that I have found from this living Puppy from Install-icon the method to install Puppy to some media. That was lacking from the version Quirky, for reason I do not understand :?:

So I think I can proceed now :arrow:

tigersong

#153 Post by tigersong »

Almost done following the Lin'n'Win instructions. Too bad there's not much chance of more Puppies being added.

mikeslr

Note to Moderators & rcrsn51

#154 Post by mikeslr »

This thread is a sticky, among the first posts intended to help beginners.

rcrsn51 started it 7 years ago, long before Windows boxes were sold with Windows 7 installed, before Windows boxes came with Windows 8.1's travesty called "secure boot", before shinobar posted his How to "Keep your savefile slim and healthy" and before jpep's posted his How to "Remove automatic pupsave for frugal installs."

The thread still contains valuable information. But now Beginners may have to read through 11 pages of posts, and probably read thru the threads resulting from shinobar's and jpep's posts. And, frankly, many will also need to be aware of the instructions Barry K provided regarding "secure boot".

Isn't it time for the thread to be edited?

mikesLr

mikeslr

Windows 8/8.1 Prequel to Installing Puppy

#155 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

If your computer came with Windows 8 or 8.1, before it will recognize Puppy Linux as a bootable OS you'll have to take some steps to prepare it.

Barry Kauler discusses what you have to do to boot Quirky. Except for the last part of the post, which deals specifically with using Quirky's installer, everything he wrote pertains to booting any Pup. http://bkhome.org/quirky/uefi.htm.

For an alternate How To with Pictures, follow the links on this post.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 159#858159

mikesLr

Pelo

Puppy maker provides his tutorial (non english versions)

#156 Post by Pelo »

What i can say here, is that more and more each (professionnal) Puppy maker provides his tutorial
France :
Triton 5.7.3
Toutou 4.3.1 and 436 (developers are not wireless connected, so information about connection is... poor, poor is the word, but you can ask for help inf the francophone section of this forum.
Slaxen : a try to do a successful Toutou based on Slacko 5.9.3 : Tuto is included in the Slaxen, written with notecase.
Spane : they are the best, really. Not only Tutorials are fully documented and updated, but they are so nice. It would be worth to British Puppies to translate them.They have their own forum and several Facebook sites, and many videos for help on You Tube.
Italian : Not so pro as spanish, but they exist.
Tutorial Pupjibaro You Tube, easy to understand by our Puppy Lovers from South America, even by french and italian citizen. Spoken explanations fit the numerous screens describing step by step installation.
Attachments
precise.jpg
its not 'sneeky Linux" by the texan boy !
(55.3 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times

peterw

Installing Puppy

#157 Post by peterw »

Hi kylerickards

Slacko Puppy is a very good distro using Slackware files and not Ubuntu ones. I think you need to give us a bit more information if we are to help you. Hardware information and more details on the steps you have taken so far. I am guessing that you are trying to do a full or frugal install to the wiped hard drive? I suspect that you have been able to boot Slacko and used the installation process? When you have done this you need to install a boot loader. I like to use grub4dos since it works for both full install and frugal installs: it is in the menu near gparted if that is what you used to format the hard drive. grug4dos is easy to use and for a first use just go with the default values.

peterw

kylerickards

Re: Installing Puppy

#158 Post by kylerickards »

peterw wrote:Hi kylerickards

Slacko Puppy is a very good distro using Slackware files and not Ubuntu ones. I think you need to give us a bit more information if we are to help you. Hardware information and more details on the steps you have taken so far. I am guessing that you are trying to do a full or frugal install to the wiped hard drive? I suspect that you have been able to boot Slacko and used the installation process? When you have done this you need to install a boot loader. I like to use grub4dos since it works for both full install and frugal installs: it is in the menu near gparted if that is what you used to format the hard drive. grug4dos is easy to use and for a first use just go with the default values.

peterw
Thanks Peter. I have now got TahrPup on but I cannot get the wifi driver working :(

peterw

wifi on Tahr

#159 Post by peterw »

Hi kylerickards

Just to make things clear, you are using an Ubuntu compatible distro with Tahr. I say this because in an earlier post you mentioned Slacko. I have an installation of Tahr64 and will use that as my reference although most Puppy's will be similar. There are various network managers used by different versions of Puppy.

Take the following steps:

1. Go Menu/Setup/Internet Connection Wizard
and up will pop a gui. On the "Connect to Internet by" box select "Wired or wireless LAN" and up will pop another gui giving you 3 options for a network manager: "Simple Network Setup", "Frisbee" and "Network Wizard".

2. You can go with any of these and follow your nose. Explore which ones works for you. Network Wizard is the oldest of the three and if you use that you have to take a few extra steps to get a connection, involving scanning for wifi ssid and selecting which type of security it is and saving details, etc.

3. However, if you are still having problems, we need to see what wifi card you have in your laptop and know that it is recognised by Tahr so go with "Network Wizard" and up will pop another gui listing the network interfaces Tahr knows about. Take a note of the wireless interface devices and descriptions and tell what they are. Also tell us what type of security you are using WPA2?

peterw

kylerickards

Re: wifi on Tahr

#160 Post by kylerickards »

Just to make things clear, you are using an Ubuntu compatible distro with Tahr. I say this because in an earlier post you mentioned Slacko. I have an installation of Tahr64 and will use that as my reference although most Puppy's will be similar. There are various network managers used by different versions of Puppy.

Take the following steps:

1. Go Menu/Setup/Internet Connection Wizard
and up will pop a gui. On the "Connect to Internet by" box select "Wired or wireless LAN" and up will pop another gui giving you 3 options for a network manager: "Simple Network Setup", "Frisbee" and "Network Wizard".

2. You can go with any of these and follow your nose. Explore which ones works for you. Network Wizard is the oldest of the three and if you use that you have to take a few extra steps to get a connection, involving scanning for wifi ssid and selecting which type of security it is and saving details, etc.

3. However, if you are still having problems, we need to see what wifi card you have in your laptop and know that it is recognised by Tahr so go with "Network Wizard" and up will pop another gui listing the network interfaces Tahr knows about. Take a note of the wireless interface devices and descriptions and tell what they are. Also tell us what type of security you are using WPA2?

peterw
Thanks Peter.

I can't see wlan listed on any version of Puppy now, just the eth0 connection? I am using WPA2...

peterw

wlan missing

#161 Post by peterw »

Hi kylerickards

If no wlan (or it might be another acronym) is not showing up then we first of all need to establish that you have a wireless card.

1. In a terminal type "lspci" without the quotes. You will get about 15 lines of text. If you can do a screenshot and post it. We are looking for a line with network controller in it and we need to know the details of the device it has detected if any.

2. In a terminal type "ifconfig -a" without the quotes. Do you see a line indicating a wireless device?

3. What is the make and model of your laptop?

peterw

kylerickards

Re: wlan missing

#162 Post by kylerickards »

If no wlan (or it might be another acronym) is not showing up then we first of all need to establish that you have a wireless card.

1. In a terminal type "lspci" without the quotes. You will get about 15 lines of text. If you can do a screenshot and post it. We are looking for a line with network controller in it and we need to know the details of the device it has detected if any.

2. In a terminal type "ifconfig -a" without the quotes. Do you see a line indicating a wireless device?

3. What is the make and model of your laptop?

peterw
Hi

Strangely I started up with an old Puppy disk and it detected the wireless and said it was using the R8180 driver?

However, booting with my PuppyTahr live cd, it says, after lspce, (I can't screen grab the entire text):

Network Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8187SE Wireless LAN Controller (rev 22)

After ifconfig -a, I can only see

eth0 and local loopback

So I'm not sure what to do next

My laptop is an old Advent and I can't find the exact model number? It's a netbook.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

Kyle

peterw

driver for wifi

#163 Post by peterw »

Hi kylerickards

You have an old Advent from PC world. As it so happens I have an old one that I bought for spares of e-bay years ago. I repaired it and have used it for years with Puppy and my only copy of Vista. At the moment it is bits since one of their weaknesses is the hinges which goes stiff and break. This has happened to me. Mine is an Advent 5431. The wifi card is RTL8187SE and I suspect that yours is as well. Interestingly, this number refers to a usb dongle but never mind.

I am not sure why Tahr is not recognising your wifi card, but try this.

1. Menu/Setup/Internet Connection Wizard/Wired or wireless LAN/Network Wizard/Load Module/
2. Scroll down to rtl8180 and Load it.
3. Tahr will then attempt to load a driver for your card and if it succeeds you should be good to go.
NB. I can't remember the details of what comes next and I can't check it until I put my old Advent back together again. At the moment I am waiting for some araldite to harden and then maybe I can put it back together again in a usable state.

Let us know what happens.

peterw

kylerickards

#164 Post by kylerickards »

Hi Peterw

Thanks for the help - I have loaded that module a couple of times and no joy, I will try again.

Interestingly, I have made it dual boot with Mint and Puppy, and the wireless works fine on Mint. I'm not sure why either version of Puppy won't see it...

peterw

missing driver for wifi in Tahr

#165 Post by peterw »

Hi kylerickards

For your information there is a web site that helps you identify your laptop. And it might also declare it in the bios data.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/advidx.htm

Of course you will have to explore it to identify your precise machine but from a quick look they all have the same wifi pci card.

You might like to try loading the rtl8287 driver and the others roundabout it. Until I have reassembled mine then I can't try anything.

rcrsn51 owns this topic and he might pick up on this and offer more advice. His knowledge and abilities are much better than mine.

peterw

kylerickards

#166 Post by kylerickards »

Hi peterw

Nope, tried loading both modules but it still refuses to see the wifi aspect - odd as I know it shows up in Mint and when doing lspci... Baffled now, perhaps I will just have to cable it?

Kyle

rcrsn51

#167 Post by rcrsn51 »

You will get more help if you start a new request in the Beginners section, not by adding to this thread.

kylerickards

#168 Post by kylerickards »

Apologies, I was engaged with peterw who has been very helpful to me. I didn't realise I had to start a new thread.

Kyle

mikeslr

Frugal vs, Full Install

#169 Post by mikeslr »

I've posted to this “Sticky

Pelo

mikeslr explanations are worth a translation

#170 Post by Pelo »

mikeslr explanations are worth a translation in all languages of the Puppy World :) for Beginners In English speaking.
Perhaps i should be allowed to translate them to french, right here ?