A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

You will get more support if you start your own threads with one problem per thread. However, your hardware may work better with a full install.

howard

Frugal-Install...

#47 Post by howard »

Well, I just downloaded the installer.tar to a flash drive and extracted the files in a folder named 'installer'.
On the Puppy-to-be machine I plugged in and mounted the flash drive, opened the 'installer' folder, and clicked on frugal-install. The result:
"Failed to execute child process 'mnt/sdb1/installers/frugal-install" (No such file or directory). By the way, SBD1 is the flash drive.
Will I ever get something right the first time?
howard

ICPUG

#49 Post by ICPUG »

darrelljon

That link just gives me a message saying the article is in the process of editing (since 3 Sep) and a contents list.

The contents list seemed to lead toward the Universal Installer. I do hope the alternative methods discussed in this thread at the start are also discussed. PUI is not ideal in all circumstances.

darrelljon

#50 Post by darrelljon »

ICPUG wrote:darrelljon

That link just gives me a message saying the article is in the process of editing (since 3 Sep) and a contents list.

The contents list seemed to lead toward the Universal Installer. I do hope the alternative methods discussed in this thread at the start are also discussed. PUI is not ideal in all circumstances.
Its a wiki, improve it.

ICPUG

#51 Post by ICPUG »

I was expecting that kind of remark.

I don't do wikis

vrkalak

#52 Post by vrkalak »

I downloaded 2 different versions of PuppyLinux on my PC

Burned them to CD ... and opened them in my old laptop.
No problems. Even the WiFi worked, 'out of the box'
I knew I wanted to install Puppy on the laptops hard-drive.

Followed the instructions in the Puppy Installer ... the ISO would copy files to my partitions but the Grub bootloader wasn't doing what it was supposed to.

I came here for help. I read through many of the Install Help sections. Very helpful.
The best, advice ... the one that worked for me was:

http://rexxinfo.org/How_to_Install_Puppy/HOW_TO_1.HTM

I just followed the Step-by-step instructions and everything went well.

I now have both PuppyLinux 4.2.4 and 4.1.3 installed and working.

fanis

#53 Post by fanis »

Sorry! I am brand NEW to Linux! I have an old PC that previously had Win98 SE, but the owner who donated a few PCs to our charitable outreach reformatted the hard drives, uninstalling the operating system.

I chose Puppy because of the age and size of the hard drive. However, I have been reading most of the afternoon and have not found how to unzip the iso download or if a boot CD of Puppy will automatically start up and install in cases where there is no existing OS.

Can I use one of our XP computers to download, unzip and create a CD for install? I discovered that Windows XP cannot unzip/open iso or tar.gz file types. So, can you tell me a safe site to download a free/open program to unzip the files? Am I understanding it right - that I need to download the iso file, then get a program to unzip the iso file and then burn the unzipped files to a cd or dvd? Or is there a way to download the program directly to the "blank" HD, by connecting it to my XP computer via an external HD housing?

Thanks for any help!
fanis

Kyugetsuki

Cyrix M II

#54 Post by Kyugetsuki »

I have a granma of a pc... it's an award 98' motherboard w/ cyrix M II proc and 256 mb ram, w/ crystal sound card.

I try the acpi=off bootcode but the livecd does'nt start x. what should I do?? can I install it?

btw i use the puppy exton lxde puplet. the cd i burned works on other(more powerful) pc's
but not on mine.

if there's another way to it,please do tell.

diaeresis

#55 Post by diaeresis »

Hi fanis,

Ok, you don't unzip an iso.

An iso is basically a "picture" of a cd. To use an iso you need a cd burner and if you have access to a windows computer some cd burning software. You might well be familiar with some software called Nero. It is very common on Windows machines. If you don't have Nero you probably have something similar. If you can't find any cd burning software you can use then try downloading and installing "imgburn"

http://www.imgburn.com/

If you install this program onto a Windows machine and then point it at your iso file it should be able to burn it to a disc for you.

Now please pay attention to this.

YOU ARE NOT JUST WRITING THE ISO TO A CD. YOU ARE CREATING A CD BY USING THE ISO. IMGBURN OR NERO "SHOULD" RECOGNIZE THAT YOU ARE USING AN ISO TO CREATE A CD BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE SOFTWARE (NERO OR IMGBURN OR WHATEVER YOU ARE USING) DOES ACTUALLY CREATE A DISC FROM THE ISO!

Sorry to SHOUT but it is very common for people to make that mistake! The software should make it clear to you that you are creating a disc from an iso. I use imgburn on my Windows machine and, from memory, it automatically does the job with an iso. Nero or other software I cannot be specific about as I don't use them.

Once you have created your cd disc stick it into your target computers cd drive and power up. (You will probably need to power up to put the cd in and then power off and on again to reboot the machine)
Then sit back and make the few simple selections required. Keyboard layout, country and video settings. The video settings look complex but the only real difficulty is knowing your screen resolution. If in doubt use a low resolution the first time and change it later once you feel comfortable. For everything else just use the default option

Remember, you are booting from a cd so cannot hurt the computer in anyway and if it all goes horribly wrong power down and then reboot and start again!

Enjoy!
And use this forum!

maheanuu

Trying to boot Macpup Opera61

#56 Post by maheanuu »

I downloaded the .iso file last night and so far have burned 10 coasters. I am using ISO Image Burner 1.1 as my burner software, I am wanting to install this on a rather old HP tower that I have added hard disks and memory along with a better video card.

I have tried burning with Infra Recorder, and Burn4Free and all produce coasters. Usually I get thiings right even after a few mistakes, but this is driving my up the wall....

I am not seeing anything wrong, but when I try to boot I keep getting the message " Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"

I have even went so far as to use ISO buster and verify the files on the disc and everything seems to be there including the boot disk..

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I am hoping that MacPup qualifies in here, I got involved with Puppy just before I went in for Colon Cancer Surgery in May and things have been busy ever since including a pack out and move back home to Tahiti , but now I am here and planning on starting a bevy of kennels here on Raiatea with all different breeds of puppies....

Thanx everyone

allan.gregory

Installing with Ubuntu

#57 Post by allan.gregory »

Ubuntu is on sda1, puppy on sda3 (partitions of IDE drive)
I followed instructions to alter grub menu.1st file viz:-
title Puppy Linux 4.3.1 instal on sda3
root(hd0,2)
kernel/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 pmedia=atahd nosmp
This inserted after 4 ubuntu entries.
I booted, chose Puppy Linux, and got "Invalid file or directory"
No problem booting from CD 4.3.1

cms

#58 Post by cms »

root(hd0,2)
The first thing that stands out is that you need a space following the word "kernel" in your grub entry. It should look like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 pmedia=atahd nosmp

Hope this helps.

cms

rjbrewer

#59 Post by rjbrewer »

cms wrote:
root(hd0,2)
The first thing that stands out is that you need a space following the word "kernel" in your grub entry. It should look like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 pmedia=atahd nosmp

Hope this helps.

cms
And a space after the word "root".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rhymer

All installed, BUT

#60 Post by rhymer »

... I have done a complete hard drive install which said it was OK, but I seem to have a MAYBE installation that works sometimes, but usually gives me a # prompt halfway through booting and stops there!

...The entire machine belongs to Puppy, (no windoze involved)

...If I leave the boot disk in the drive, it boots fine but this sort of defeats the purpose of installing it.

The # prompt will give me a mess of confusing commands if I type HELP and return... But can I get it to load from that point? Duh :roll:

rjbrewer

Re: All installed, BUT

#61 Post by rjbrewer »

rhymer wrote:... I have done a complete hard drive install which said it was OK, but I seem to have a MAYBE installation that works sometimes, but usually gives me a # prompt halfway through booting and stops there!

...If I leave the boot disk in the drive, it boots fine but this sort of defeats the purpose of installing it.

The # prompt will give me a mess of confusing commands if I type HELP and return... But can I get it to load from that point? Duh :roll:
When you get to the # prompt type reboot;
or startx.

Provide information on the computer you are using.

Did your install method look like this?:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

harrisandreson

how to install

#62 Post by harrisandreson »

After polling my small scientific community, I can confidently report that Puppy is the hands-down best small Linux distribution bar none, and perhaps the best Linux distribution for general use currently resident on the planet. And yet, the best (Puppy) just keeps getting better, about every two weeks or so.
Check out my wesite [url=http://www.friezeflooring.com/laminate-flooring.html]laminate flooring[/url]

amsk98

for 1st time Install Guide

#63 Post by amsk98 »

Hi all I am Interested To Install Linux Puppy Os Distro My sys config Intel 810 P 3 700 MHz 64 MB SD Ram/ 100 MHz Segate 8 GB Hard Drive PS2 Keyboard Mouse & 52x CD Rom

My FAQ

It Can Able to Install from USB Boot [My cd rom sometimes not read]

Or

Install From Windows Xp OS On another HDD Partition Drive

or

By Using qemu apps

Also I have 3 G USB ZTE EVDO AC8700 800M Wireless Card work on this os

Bosola

#64 Post by Bosola »

Hi all I am Interested To Install Linux Puppy Os Distro My sys config Intel 810 P3 700 MHz 64 MB SD Ram/ 100 MHz Segate 8 GB Hard Drive PS2 Keyboard Mouse & 52x CD Rom
Okay. The first thing to note is that you only have 64MB of RAM. This is workable if you do a full install and set up a swap file, but if the machine needs to constantly use it, then this reduces the life of the hard disk drive.

Puppy can run from USB, yes, but in this case you'll need a swap file, and old BIOSes don't boot from USB anyway, so either way, you'll be creating some new partitions on your hard drive.

May I suggest using Slitaz? It's not as large as Puppy, but still supports Firefox, most ethernet cards, and you should be able to do a fair bit of work on it using AbiWord and Gnumeric (I think OpenOffice would be a bit too large, unless you ran it as a portable app from a USB drive).
Also I have 3 G USB ZTE EVDO AC8700 800M Wireless Card work on this os
You can get EVDOs to run with Linux, yes. How it will fare, 'out of the box' - I don't know.

strategic_thinker

Re: All installed, BUT

#65 Post by strategic_thinker »

rjbrewer wrote:
rhymer wrote:... I have done a complete hard drive install which said it was OK, but I seem to have a MAYBE installation that works sometimes, but usually gives me a # prompt halfway through booting and stops there!

When you get to the # prompt type reboot;
or startx.

Provide information on the computer you are using.

Did your install method look like this?:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565

I have the same problem...

Hi

This has happened to me during booting up. I have successfully installed Puppy 4.3.1 and the GRUB. Everything works fine for a while.

Then all of a sudden when I boot up to use the computer, It goes to a command prompt and not the window manager. On two previous occasion, I had to re-install from scratch.
Is there any command i can execute to fire up the window manager ?

BTW, most Linux commands seem to work at the command prompt.

Thanks and regards,

Sanjay