A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
markofealing

Instructions on how to do Frugal install on a new hard disk

#76 Post by markofealing »

I've just written a step by step 'How to...' entry in my Linux blog on how I successfully did a Frugal installation on a Dell Latitude PIII 500 with 512Mb RAM.

http://mylinuxramblings.wordpress.com/2 ... hard-disk/

Hope you all find it useful.

Rockfella

#77 Post by Rockfella »

Can puppy linux be installed within windows like we can install ubuntu?
TIA.

nooby

#78 Post by nooby »

Can puppy linux be installed within windows like we can install ubuntu
If you already have a grub then it is easy to add puppy in frugal install. That is almost the same as wubi install in windows. if you have xp then it is easy. Vista and Win7 is a bit tougher but works too.

Wubi is made for Ubuntu.

but maybe. you could do a Unetbootin frugal install using the unetbootin program. The developer of it named tuxcantfly worked on wubi for a long time but later abandon it and started to do the unetbootin and that works rather similar on a HDD.

I tried it once on my windows Vista machine and it sure worked but sadly on my machine it also locked the program unetbootin to only be used for that purpose so I uninstalled it and used manual frugal install instead using Neogrub which is very close to Grub4DOS way of doing booting.

I guess you have a greater chance to get help if you start a new thread about your personal needs.

One way you could use wubi is to let it install ubuntu and then uninstall it and make use of the grub menu.lst if it leave it behind but that seems a long workaround when you can use unetbootin or neogrub instead.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/NeoGrub

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

babaguy

Troubles With Full Install...

#79 Post by babaguy »

Dear All -

I found Puppy Linux when searhing for an OS to install onto an old HP Omnibook -5 Gig hard drive, PIII processor - I love the look and feel of Puppy - I made a CD which works all right, but it will not create a Pup File upon closing, so each time I boot with the CD is like the first time, no data saved - I *had* put Xubuntu on this machine previously (over-writing Windows '98) , but it was completely unwieldy, and eventually it would not boot properly.
I tried the One Click Installer, which downloaded all right and asked me to eject the CD and re-boot - I could not get the CD ejected...Upon shutting the machine down, re-booting and removing the CD at boot, I got an error message about "file 15" and the machine won't boot -
I decided that maybe with Xubuntu messing up, that the hard drive needed to be REALLY re-formatted, so I Zero'd it from the command line into 1 Mb blocks, and have just tried again to use the One Click Installer - Again, unable to eject or unmount the CD, and the entire machine froze up at a message about "updating the PetFile Manager" (i think...) -
After several minutes, I shut it down, removed the CD at boot - the first two attempts to re-boot the machine reverted to a 'crashed' version of the screen with all the programs locked up - 3rd time it DID start to boot, but only went to grub command line and I really don't know any grub commands (despite making a search...
I'd REALLY like to have Puppy installed on this little machine - but I am having real difficulty discerning which bits of advice/information I ought to apply - ALSO, when I have tried to use the PUI and specified the hard drive, it replies with a statement that this process has not been done yet - and nothing more, no other options offered...
Any help installing Puppy on this laptop would be GRATEFULLY received - meanwhile, I will try to RTFM as much as I can...Thanks in advance!

babaguy

RE: Troubles with Full Install...

#80 Post by babaguy »

Dear All -
Having RTFM'd the excellent "How To Do A Frugal Puppy Linux Install..." I went back and MORE OR LESS followed all the steps provided, and it looks like Puppy is installed on the hard drive.
HERE ARE THE WAYS MY PROCESS DIFFERED from the stated method:
1) My Puppy version is 4.2, not the newer one specified due to the age of this HP Omnibook...
2) I chose "Full Install" rather than "Frugal" because that is what I preferred, after all...
3) I could not find any " /tmp/NEWGRUBTEXT " files anywhere on the system, either through Edit or through the Puppy Drive Mounter, so in the end I just trusted that actually editing the command lines of the Grub sequence might not be necessary in this earlier version of Puppy...(so far so good...)
4) The LIVE CD would not eject when re-booting (eeek!), but responded when I pressed the button on the drive as the system "hung" on a line of PINK text stating "Boot will be faster next time!" - The machine continued to boot from what must be the hard drive and I'm now connected to the net (but typing this from a more reliable machine beside my newly rescued Puppy from the Old Laptop 'Pound') so I'm crossing my fingers and it looks like all is well.....I've amazed myself ! THANKS TO THE LONDON MAN WHOSE LINUX RAMBLINGS ARE COGENT AND SO HELPFUL! ! ! ! ! ! !

PeacebyJesus

#81 Post by PeacebyJesus »

In case another person like me looks here due to a no-Windows-Puppy install not working, when you run the installer use the option to format the Windows NTFS drive first to ext2 or ext3, then use the full install.
Last edited by PeacebyJesus on Sat 03 Jul 2010, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.

xstation

gparted

#82 Post by xstation »

Please tell how to install useing gparted
there is a root partition
ok i need to know the basic layout

thankyou

xstation :D

computer123

#83 Post by computer123 »

A frugal install just copies the three files from the CD to your hard drive as they are. Each method has its own advantages, which we won't discuss now. For beginners, a frugal install is easiest - simply because it duplicates the way that the Live CD works. (A more detailed comparison of full versus frugal is provided at the end of the article.)

How can i do this? I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANY FILES AFTER I RESTART MY COMPUTER. PLEASE HELP ME HERE.

I just want the computer to start and load puppy, i dont want go though installation again and again :cry: and lose everything.

maxpro4u

#84 Post by maxpro4u »

Don't use a cd-use a usb drive-eveything will be saved then-when you shut down-it will ask "do you want to create a pupsave file?"

computer123

#85 Post by computer123 »

t seems that i may have fixed the problem. On my way shut down, i clicked saved file so it saved all my previous work i did before shutting off. I would like to change my default browser, this puppy version of mozzila firefox doesn't have the book mark way was on regular firefox. Although i can't do it becuase i click on earth icon(browse) and it doesn't ask me to change my browse, it just opens puppy one

maxpro4u

#86 Post by maxpro4u »

right-click on the browse icon file/open as text, change to
#!/bin/sh
exec firefox "$@"

Dawn

#87 Post by Dawn »

I expected the installation of "Lucid Puppy" to be something like my experience with Ubuntu and Debian. With those previous linux distributions after I ran the installation from a CD, I could remove the CD and reboot.

This was not the case with Lucid Puppy. After I ran (what I thought was) the installation, it seemed that the whole Operating System was in RAM and when I rebooted I found that the previous installed OS on the hard drive came up.

The next thing I did was this. After I installed Lucid Puppy, I ran a suggested setup routine which seemed to be successful. The final screen said this:

Code: Select all

GRUB INSTALL SUCCESS
==================
GRUB was successfully installed on the MBR of
/dev/sda.  You should check and edit the
'/boot/grub/menu.lst' file on 'dev/sda1', if
needed.  You may want to change the
location 'boot/umlinuz', and/or options
passed to any Linux kernal listed there.
What should I do and how do I do it?

Now when I reboot I get a blue menu that looks like this:

Code: Select all

Linux (on /dev/sda1)
Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
-  For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
-  For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt
At the bottm of the screen there are suggestions how to edit files. Unix and Linux is new to me. I hope I can get some direction here with better experienced people.

I would think that installing any software would cause that installation to be placed on the users hard drive. I would expect that that would be the defaut option and doing otherwise might be diffiicult or impossible.

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

You may have better luck with the install method discussed here.

happy37

#89 Post by happy37 »

Hello everyone.....

First post here....am a complete novice and first time user with Puppy Linux, so would appreciate some advice. :?:

To start with, I am trying to install and use Puppy Linux on a CD or USB stick so that I can use the program to flash my Netgear router with some custom firmware.

I have tried to do the steps below - I have burnt a copy of the .iso file of Puppy to a CD and then booted the PC from the disc.

The CD booted up into Puppy immediately, but there was an option to press F2 - should I have pressed this to get more options or not?

I then let Puppy do its thing, and it scanned the PC for the connected USB Corsair Voyager flash drive for the files for the firmware flash. When this was done, the screen then came up with a list of white lines on a black screen scrolling down the page. Once this finished, the screen went blank, and then I waited for the next screen to appear. Nothing happened..........

AFAIK, both of my PCs cannot or do not have the options to boot from a USB stick, so can I get Puppy to boot from a CD and flash the firmware in that manner instead?

Should the firmware flash files have been on the CD as well as the Puppy distro? - if yes, then how do I configure Puppy ton install from the CD and also add the firmware flash files on there at the same time?

If this cannot be achieved, then would it be easier for me to use WakePup/WakePup2 instead and the floppy drive method?

So, what have I done wrong, or not done, or can do differently to make this work, please?

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice. :)

Regards

happy37

cthisbear

#90 Post by cthisbear »

Welcome to Puppy happy37.

Priorities in any forum.

Your PCs hardware.
You have two >> list them both.

Your Puppy version ... is it

Puppy 4.3.1
Lucid Puppy 5....must give us the particular one
as many Lucid Pups have been uploaded.

Do not boot with the USB in.
When you come to the desktop you can pop it in
when Puppy finishes booting.

Here is a quick How to 4 Puppy 4.3.1

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows ... vista.htmll

from here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57969

Read the first one...shows Puppy boot pics.
And get back to us.

Make sure that your file size was downloaded correctly.

Image burn is here...4 Windows
Small >> no setup >> do not update.
Never burn faster than 32 Speed.

ISO Burners –Windows.

I do not burn ISO files faster than 32 Speed.
For really old computers even slower

ImgBurn..ready to go…no install…do not update

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-b558b1b9.html

http://www.imgburn.com

File: ImgBurn.exe Size: 1.53 MB

Plus>>>

BurnCDCC...small..fast…69kb zip

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip

Goodluck...Chris.

happy37

#91 Post by happy37 »

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... lname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.
As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37

happy37

#92 Post by happy37 »

Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37

RetroTechGuy

#93 Post by RetroTechGuy »

happy37 wrote:Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... lname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.
As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37
It's possible that you may need to try a Puppy Retro version for your hardware...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... l-puppies/

For example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso

(I can run this latter one on an old 333MHz Compaq laptop...)

RetroTechGuy

#94 Post by RetroTechGuy »

happy37 wrote:Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37
OK, the basic rule in Puppy is that you are always "superuser" (e.g. "root").

Your console is "rxvt". Your default location for the command window will be "/root/" (open the window and type "pwd" == "print working directory").

If you saved a pupsave to the flash drive, the flash drive is "/mnt/home/". If you unpacked directly onto the flash drive, your program will be there -- otherwise it's likely to be under the "/root/" folder.

Be aware (apparent from reading their page) that if you experience a power hiccup while performing this flash, that you may well "brick" the router. If you have a UPS, it would be worth putting both the computer and the router on the UPS.

rdatlinux

Thank you

#95 Post by rdatlinux »

I am from Kerala India.
I convey my heartfelt regards for creating and supporting such a wonderful OS. I have an AMD 2400+ with 1GB Ram and my hard disk failed. Then I found Puppy.(4.3.1) It solved all my problems since I am ablee to use my 1 GB pen drive and use the PC for all my needs.

Thank you all great persons for this.
Will post more details later.

RD,