A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
happy37

#91 Post by happy37 »

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... lname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.
As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37

happy37

#92 Post by happy37 »

Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37

RetroTechGuy

#93 Post by RetroTechGuy »

happy37 wrote:Hi Chris

Many thanks for your reply and for the welcome to the forum.

Here goes:-

PC1 - ASUS P4PE motherboard with circa 10/2002 BIOS.

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... lname=P4PE

Windows XP SP3, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, onboard SoundMax audio. 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 320GB each.

PC2 - VIA P4V88 motherboard with 2005 BIOS - version 1.80.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=p4v88

Windows 7 Pro, 2GB RAM, Liteon DVD-ROM drive and a Sony DVD rewriter, 256MB PNY NVIDIA GE-Force AGP 8x graphics card, Creative soundcard, 2 of Western Digital PATA HDDs, 160 and 200GB each.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need any more info.

I am using Puppy version 4.3.1.

Have already got the CD burning software(s), such as Nero 9 and ImgBurn.
Do not boot with the USB in. When you come to the desktop you can pop it in when Puppy finishes booting.
As you can see from my post above, I have tried to run from the CD with Puppy 4.31 burnt to it, but it gets as far as the "Puppy Linux loading essential files, please stand by...", and then the screen goes blank?

Are you able to advise from here onwards please?

Many thanks.

happy37
It's possible that you may need to try a Puppy Retro version for your hardware...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... l-puppies/

For example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... modems.iso

(I can run this latter one on an old 333MHz Compaq laptop...)

RetroTechGuy

#94 Post by RetroTechGuy »

happy37 wrote:Chris et al,

Further to my previous message from 08.44 earlier today, I can now confirm, that having followed your instructions to the letter, I can now boot into Puppy Linux from my 1st PC.

So, having done this, I get the Xorg desktop on my screen with all of the icons. Next, I tried to mount the USB Key inside Puppy and that came up too with a green circle next to it, and I was able to access the files on the key.

So, this is the important bit for me - where to next?

Do I now just follow the tutorial as given over at the DGTeam website to try and see if I can flash the firmware onto my router?

Website link:-

http://dgteam.netsons.org/index.php?pid=16

Under the section headed:-

"NFTP Command Line Utility (Unix systems)"

Point number 16 onwards - so, do I just start following this tutorial to the letter to try and flash the router, or is there anything else that needs doing inside Puppy Linux before I go ahead and think of doing this?

I would be very, very grateful of any pointers that would now help me to proceed in the right direction from here onwards.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice so far...it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37
OK, the basic rule in Puppy is that you are always "superuser" (e.g. "root").

Your console is "rxvt". Your default location for the command window will be "/root/" (open the window and type "pwd" == "print working directory").

If you saved a pupsave to the flash drive, the flash drive is "/mnt/home/". If you unpacked directly onto the flash drive, your program will be there -- otherwise it's likely to be under the "/root/" folder.

Be aware (apparent from reading their page) that if you experience a power hiccup while performing this flash, that you may well "brick" the router. If you have a UPS, it would be worth putting both the computer and the router on the UPS.

rdatlinux

Thank you

#95 Post by rdatlinux »

I am from Kerala India.
I convey my heartfelt regards for creating and supporting such a wonderful OS. I have an AMD 2400+ with 1GB Ram and my hard disk failed. Then I found Puppy.(4.3.1) It solved all my problems since I am ablee to use my 1 GB pen drive and use the PC for all my needs.

Thank you all great persons for this.
Will post more details later.

RD,

cthisbear

#96 Post by cthisbear »

rdatlinux:

Welcome to Puppy.

"My hard disk failed."

Have you tried booting Puppy and mounting your
drive after it boots by placing it in an External USB
hard drive case.
You might get lucky and retrieve any data off it.
No guarantees.

Chris.

manoftao

Cant install Puppy

#97 Post by manoftao »

Hi. I have a fairly old laptop: HP Omnibook XE2 PII 400 Mhz, 192 mb ram 6 GB HDD which Im trying to install Puppy on but keep getting stuck at xorgwizard – which seems to have trouble finding the right video driver/resolution. Tried all options, Detect, Choose, Vesa, keeps going back to xorgwizard suggestion. xwin leads to blank screen.. I managed to boot up Knoppix live cd on it but for a HDD install, DSL or Puppy both get stuck during hardware recognition. Any help would be great. Laptop has mini xp on it which only takes 350 Mb space. Cheers.

ICPUG

#98 Post by ICPUG »

manoftao

Welcome to the forum and Puppyland.

It might be better to start a separate thread with this problem as it appears more general than an installation problem. It looks like a video/booting problem.

Please identify which version of Puppy you were trying (and incidently which version of Knoppix you got working). As you think it may be a video problem please tell us what video system you PC has fitted - Intel (type if poss 855, 945, ...), ATI, Nvidia, other.

Do you get the problem with the LIVE CD or only with your attempted installation? What type of installation are you trying full or frugal and are you trying to dual boot with your XP? If it is an installation what have you put in your menu.lst?

manoftao

#99 Post by manoftao »

@ ICPUG...
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the intel-scsi-modem iso of Puppy and X miraculously went past the hiccup I experienced with the other LUPU.iso. The very same xorg menu. It installed well on sd1 but struggling to connect to Internet via wireless esb dongle which finds my network but does not connect. I'll keep looking and learning. Linux is great and fun, but brain-busting when tweaking required.. To a novice like me that is.. Cheers.

ICPUG

#100 Post by ICPUG »

OK manoftao.

That scsi-intel-modem iso is based on puppy 4.3.1 which will give you less trouble with the video drivers.

The latest series 5 puppies, because of the use of later intel drivers and a more recent linux kernel mean some tweaks have to be made. Lucid Puppy 5.1 should boot to the desktop though!

shinobar

NTFS and Grub4Dos

#101 Post by shinobar »

Excellent artcle, but somewhat outdated for the era of Xp and later.
And now recent Puppy has Grub4Dos.
Using Grub4Dos is safer than touching BCD, i think.
See the article:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

moB

Re: Thank you

#102 Post by moB »

rdatlinux wrote:I am from Kerala India.
I convey my heartfelt regards for creating and supporting such a wonderful OS. I have an AMD 2400+ with 1GB Ram and my hard disk failed. Then I found Puppy.(4.3.1) It solved all my problems since I am ablee to use my 1 GB pen drive and use the PC for all my needs.

Thank you all great persons for this.
Will post more details later.

RD,
You may have some luck with this tool:
GNU ddrescue is a data recovery tool. It copies data from one file or block device (hard disc, cdrom, etc) to another, trying hard to rescue data in case of read errors.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ma ... anual.html

All the best to you!

moB

But the whaleman, as he seeks the food of light, so he lives in light.
He makes his berth an Aladdin's lamp, and lays him down in it; so
that in the pitchiest night the ship's black hull still houses an illumination.
--Melville, Moby Dick
]

LeithR

Error Message on 2nd power up

#103 Post by LeithR »

On my second and subsequest attempts to boot up Lupo_520 I get the following message then my laptop hangs. I suspect I did something silly when I first loaded up - it was after midnight and I was tired.
Msge Received - "Performing a 'Switch Root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel Panic - Not Synching. Attempt to kill init!

Any help would be appreciated.

nooby

#104 Post by nooby »

LeithR do edit into your post what computer you have and if you did full install or frugal install and if you did a save file or never came to the desktop of the OS?

I trust that many will be able to help if you give such info and even greater chance if you start a thread in the beginners part of the forum.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rayberau

Problems installing Puppy

#105 Post by rayberau »

I tried to install Puppy 4.3 from CD onto a 6GB ext3 partition I made on an 8GB flash USB but the cursor froze after I pressed ENTER at "Press ENTER key to continue, CTRL-C to abort: ^[OM

I waited a couple of days hoping that the installation was quietly proceeding but now I think it is not.

Last week I tried the same thing and, because there was no response when I pressed CTRL-C to abort, I switched off the computer to abort the installation. Then I found that the CD wouldn't boot, but when I re-inserted the USB flash stick it did boot. So I guess maybe switching off the computer during the installation causes problems, and so I am writing to ask how to get out of the present frozen cursor situation so that Puppy can demount the media and shut down properly.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 55420100 laptop with AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 CPU with x86_64 platform, 2 CPUs, 2000 CPU speed, 3963 System Memory, 6015 system swap. The MBR of Windows became damaged when I tried to make the laptop dual-boot with Fedora so now I only can boot with Fedora - either Fedora 13 which is on the hard drive or with Fedora 12 which i successfully installed from CD onto a 16GB flash drive.

I don't need the Fedora 13 that is on the hard drive, as I'm happy with the Fedora 12 on the 16GB USB drive. What I'd like to do is install Puppy as boot loader on the hard drive and then try to reinstall Windows XP onto a partition on the hard drive so I'll have dual boot Puppy and Windows XP on the hard drive. I would have liked to finish this installation of Puppy onto the 8GB flash drive too but don't know how to get out of the present problem I have as outlined in the first three paragraphs above.

Regards and thanks from,
Ray Bergmann

glene77is

#106 Post by glene77is »

Ray,
In my experience re-installing Win_XP, the simplistic install will wipe the entire HD, therefore install XP first, then add your Linux partitions, etc.
glene77is
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

RetroTechGuy

#107 Post by RetroTechGuy »

glene77is wrote:Ray,
In my experience re-installing Win_XP, the simplistic install will wipe the entire HD, therefore install XP first, then add your Linux partitions, etc.
glene77is
And then when you get your Windows fully configured the way you want, back it up with Clonezilla (you can get back to this state easily, then). You could also use Partimage, but it requires more knowledge to operate.

http://clonezilla.org/

And once you get your Puppy added in, perhaps make another backup of the disk (you should have a decent size external backup drive in any event).

I would recommend that the Windows be installed on a small-ish partition, leaving the rest of the drive for user space (file storage). Then to perform a backup of the OS, is just that first partition (separate from the many GB of user files).

BTW, I installed a dual boot on my XP laptop using the Lin'N'Win method (which doesn't require mucking with the MBR -- just append your system onto the existing Windows bootloader).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

glene77is

#108 Post by glene77is »

Retro,
Similar to what I did. :)
Thanks for the confirmation.

###########################################
On my main computer with XP / Linux:

I reduced the XP partition, installed Ubuntu in Part#2, installed PartitionMagic in Part#3, Triple booting.
Used Clonezilla.
Have 3 USB ext HD.

I planted a Partition Magic folder (made by copying the Live-CD) in the XP partition. See his website for simple method.
Altered grub.cfg to capture it.
Did a reboot into the Triple-Boot menu
and Partition Magic was running
in RamDrive out of the XP NTFS partition.

################################
On my second "SandBox" computer,
I installed
(1) Ubuntu in the first partition,
(2) Lighthouse Puppy in the second partition,
(3) Knoppix 6.4 in a third partition,
(4) PartitionMagic in the fourth partition,
(5) then re-installed Ubuntu in the first partition,
and modified the grub.cfg to capture all four.
(6) There are several other partitions for storage of all created data.

Later I use Gparted to "copy" a Puppy partition to a new partition, then modified grub.cfg to also point to that one. It ran but with some apparent conflict with the 'first' puppy save.2fs file it found.
Some of the config changes would transfer from one Puppy to the other Puppy. The Puppy apparently starts at part#1 and searched for a save.2fs file, using the FIRST one it finds. Surprise!
So, I cleared that up, experiment finished.

Gparted copy/paste of a partition works OK.
Just don't plan on booting into either of two Puppy OS on the same HD, without some possible sharing of the save.2fs.

##################################################
We are so fortunate to have great software engineers in Linux!
I could not keep up with them, and I've been in this over 30 years.

Thanks for your comments, Retro.

rayberau

Problems installing Puppy

#109 Post by rayberau »

Thanks Glen.. & Retro.. for your replies.

What should I do get out of where I am hung with the cursor frozen after I pressed ENTER at "Press ENTER key to continue, CTRL-C to abort: ^[OM ??

As I explained, when the same problem happened as I was trying to install Puppy on the USB flash stick a few days ago, I just switched off the computer to abort the installation. But then I found that the CD wouldn't boot my computer until I re-inserted the USB flash stick. So I guess maybe switching off the computer during the installation causes problems, and so I am asking how to get out of the present frozen cursor situation so that Puppy can demount the media and shut down properly, or to find some way of continuing the Puppy install on the USB. I think I would like to see Puppy installed on the USB before I try to install it on the HD. Is my only option to switch off the computer?

Ray

glene77is

#110 Post by glene77is »

Ray,
We did get off topic, sorry. Old men reminisce.

(1) Stopping Power during a write can write trash to the HD.
(2) Have someone else put the iso on the usb flash drive.
(3) Try rebooting from this new usb flash drive.

If that fails, then
(4) Try the F2/3 and change the BIOS settings,
to boot from the CD first, (just to be sure).

If that fails, then
(5) Try the F2/3 and change the BIOS settings,
to boot from the USB first, (just to be sure).

If that fails, then
(6) Try the live-CD from Partition Magic.
It boots directly to RAM (if your CD device will do a boot at all).

If it were me, I'd try the Partition Magic ISO live-CD first.
That way you can make certain you have a proper OS partition
and a proper SWAP partition.

In the end, you can look to re-mounting the HD
into a second computer, as a spare drive.
Then Boot Partition Magic CD and re-format.
Then Put the HD back in your original computer, and re-install OS.

HTH,
Stay in touch.