live CD setup complet & online

News, happenings
76yrold

live CD setup complet & online

#1 Post by 76yrold »

The forum members here are truly exceptional and I can only hope my continued questions are either indicitive of my age and comprehension.
1.In attempting to get comfortable and load a browser Firebox that is on my HD what must I do to have access to in i puppy.
2. While I am attempting to get comfortable what about other add-ons? Do I create a folder for them on my HD or what?
3. yahoo is driving me nuts with these e-mail about non secure mail from linux. Yes I can receive and send and yes I did change the port to 465. BUT is there a yahoo user out there who can tell me exactly what to put in advance
4. Finally it is my intention to ultimately get this OS on my HD so someone out there please tell me how big does the 2nd partition for puppy and beyond have to be for I will try others until I am really comfortable.
I am using 9G and have 29 free
I intend to be around until 90 at least :P so I need some answers

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

SirDuncan

#3 Post by SirDuncan »

1) For installing Firefox, you have two options. The first is to find a DotPet and install from that. The second is to download directly from Mozilla and set it up yourself. I prefer the second, because you are guaranteed to have a properly set up browser. I explained how I install Firefox on another thread and quote it here for your convenience:
SirDuncan wrote:If you download directly from Mozilla, you get a tarball. When you uncompress the tarball, you have a folder containing everything you need to run Firefox. You can run it directly from the folder and point "/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser" to it.

I normally uncompress the tarball and move the folder to "/usr/lib/". Why? Well, no good reason, it's just in the same place as the Seamonkey folder this way. You can put it wherever you want. Then I create a symlink in "/usr/bin/" to the executable "firefox" so that it can be found in the executable search path (i.e.: you can type "firefox" at the CLI instead of "/usr/lib/firefox", this is not necessary if you never open the browser from the CLI). Finally, I go to "/usr/local/bin/", open "defaultbrowser" in a text editor, and change it to open "firefox" (if you didn't make a symlink, you must change it to "/PATH/firefox", where PATH is the path to the executable).
2) You can install quite a few programs from the package manager. It shows up as an icon on the desktop named "install". There are other packages available on the forum and at sites such as http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/.

3) Sorry, I don't use Yahoo, so I wouldn't know what to tell you.

4) You don't need to make a partition for Puppy unless you are doing a full HD install (I don't recommend this for new users). If you run Puppy from the CD with a save file, or from a frugal install you can use the same partition that Windows uses. The only caveat is that NTFS partitions (that's what XP/Vista uses) must be shut down cleanly for Puppy to access them with read and write capabilities. This means that you can't hibernate XP because it leaves the NTFS partition all funky. If you really want a separate partition, the size will depend on how much room you want for personal files. Assuming that you do a frugal a install, Puppy takes up less than 100mb. Therefore, your partition needs to be at least 100mb+personal_space, where personal_space is the amount of room you feel you need for your stuff.

Between what I've said and Puppyluvr's links you should have a good start, but if anything doesn't make sense let us know.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

davec51

I'm Old, Too

#4 Post by davec51 »

to 76yearsOld: I'm a couple of years younger than you, so it's understandable that my mental processes, not to mention my reflexes, are in better working shape than yours.
Is Puppy the preferred distro for senior citizens, then? That would be interesting.

76yrold

Over the hill, seniors & Linux

#5 Post by 76yrold »

Dave:
As I stated yesterday you kind folks told me everything I needed to know about installation and I had no intention of contacting the forum again until a new concern arose BUT you posed a valid question that demanded an answer. Can one be too old for Linux (is comprehension a factor) or is it all state of mind.
If one's life is to remain vibrant and interesting then one must if need be create adversity to stay out of that rocking chair and linux is that vehicle for me. I even tackled web design at 75 and loving it http://deign1.hypermart.net. (work in progress)
This is a great forum peopled by giving folks and Linux is truly a worthwhile Internet indeavor.