Is Puppy what this guy needs?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
jcagle

Is Puppy what this guy needs?

#1 Post by jcagle »

I have a web site design client who is elderly and not that great with computers. He uses it for e-mail, a little bit of web browing, word processing, and spreadsheets, and that's about it.

He needs a new computer, as the e-mail client I recommended for him did not seem to run all that well unfortunately. So it looks like I may now be the one advising on the new computer.

Anyway he's quite concerined about spyware, viruses, etc. As I've mentioned before, he's not that great with computers. However, Puppy Linux seems quite simple from what I've found.

This person isn't someone who will install applications by himself. He uses what is there and that's it. I think if he were to use Puppy Linux, he'd have no problem at all.

I want to get your opinions. Do you think Puppy Linux is suitable for someone who isn't that computer literate, and probably won't be installing software by himself anyway? He doesn't touch DOS in Windows 98...he's a point-and-click person. I don't expect he'll even need a command line for much of what he does.

If I give him Puppy Linux, I will definitely include OpenOffice so that he can read and write microsoft documents.

Also, has anyone been able to get on line with People PC in Linux? That's his ISP.

#2 Post by Guest »

If he's had windows experience it made be a little harder for him to use than if he had no windows experience. It's easier to learn from a clean slate than from one that's half full.

One thing you should really think about is are YOU going to be able to offer him support for the lifetime of his machine & OS ? Beacuse if you can't and something goes belly up it will be harder for a tech with no Linux\Puppy experience to deal with. They are more than likely to reccomend an MS Product installation.....So try to think of long term poroduct support rather than short term

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Better off with Beatrix

#3 Post by Lobster »

From the sound of it he would be better off with Beatrix

It looks and is simple. For most users (especially the more adventuresome Puppys) it is too simple.

Here is my full report on Linux without the hype
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report

I think I would Put Beatrix on his HD and provide Puppy on CD with the boot option set to floppy, CD, HD

Hope that helps 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

He is the exact type of person that the Mac Mini was designed for.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

I think you are right :) :idea:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jcagle

#6 Post by jcagle »

haha yeah...

We've got some Mac Minis @ school.