How to record sound

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
rvqx

How to record sound

#1 Post by rvqx »

I want to record audio from the line-in. So I opened mhWaveEdit 1.4.14 and click " Play" and "record". Then a window opens " record" with 2 meters, but they stay at level zero.
I can hear sound from my line-in.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Have you checked that the right input is selected for recording, and that its volume and the record volume are both up?
I'm not sure how much control mhwaveedit gives you over volumes, and I don't know which Puppy version you are using, and whether its mixer can select the record channel, but you can always run "alsamixer" in a terminal.
Tab toggles between displaying just recording channels, just playback channels, and everything. Left/right moves across to the next channel, up/down changes the volume, m mutes/unmutes, and space selects the channel to record from.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

rvqx

#3 Post by rvqx »

I run Puppy 4.0
Thanks for explaining "alsamixer". I choose for "capture" in order to see the record channels. But the channel for "Line" is blank, there is not even a rectangular on top and pushing "m" does not work. When I change from "capture" to "playback", the line-channel works fine.

rvqx

#4 Post by rvqx »

It works.
In alsamixer I had to push space to choose the channel to record from.

bill

MhWaveEdit 1.4.14 running in Puppy Dingo 4

#5 Post by bill »

I really thought I had missed the boat on this program but unfortunately this dandy little program is not FULL Duplex and cannot record and play tracks at the same time.This is pointed out in the Help (Record) files. :cry:
Otherwise this program would be all you would need to play a backing track and record a lead track at the same time.I also couldn't get any response out of the "Mixer" ,just didn't respond when clicked..I am running Alsa.I also couldn't get much recording volume inputted without splatter(actually breaking up,very poor quality).This I am not sure that I don't have the wrong microphone because it is "electret" and needs a small voltage (phantom dc) in order to power the microphone internally and I am not sure the front microphone input on this Acer AST180-UA381B supplies this need voltage ? .If these anomalies were sorted , I wouldn't need "Audacity" or any other program to do soundfiles. cheers,bill

ravensrest

Re: How to record sound

#6 Post by ravensrest »

I use sgmixer, but I suppose almost any mixer will do. I had to reset the IGain control to get the sound to record even though it played thru my speakers with only the Line and Master volume controls advanced.

If using mixers like Kmix that let you set the capture target, it was necessary to assign Line to Capture.

Oh, to set the mixer of your choice so that the Launch Mixer button works in mhWaveEdit, go to Edit/Preferences/Other and enter the mixer command under Mixer utility.

BS

rvqx wrote:I want to record audio from the line-in. So I opened mhWaveEdit 1.4.14 and click " Play" and "record". Then a window opens " record" with 2 meters, but they stay at level zero.
I can hear sound from my line-in.