Grafpup-1.0.1

News, happenings
Nathan F

Grafpup-1.0.1

#1 Post by Nathan F »

Grafpup_standard-1.0.1 will be available midnight tonight from the grafpup.com ftp server. I'm also setting up an http transfer for those who've had issues with ftp. There will be an announcement on the news page, but for now here is a rundown of updates/upgrades from 1.0.0.

Gimp is now version 2.2.9, with the option of using Python scripts via addon packages

Cinepaint is updated to version 0.20-1 with a new print plugin available

Scribus updated to the latest version 1.2.3

Bluefish updated to version 1.4.0

mtPaint testing release 1.19.05

Added four extra loop devices for a total of eight, now with the ability to run OpenOffice and KDE squash file simultaneously

Color management is enabled for all applications that support it, with some profiles already included. Currently this is only supported by Cinepaint and Scribus, however the imminent Gimp-2.4 series will also have this ability.

There are several other smaller changes and tweaks, but this is the major stuff. I think Grafpup actually has the most up to date selection of Graphics packages of any distro I can think of now. Hope you guys like it.

Nathan

aahhaaa

#2 Post by aahhaaa »

Hi Nathan- so that's why I couldn't download! Went over to a friends house, they drink heavy but have highspeed. :roll: Will try again. :wink:

psOT In memorium... just went to the Agfa site to see about their annual photo contest; apparently Agfa is now 'insolvent' and is being liquidated; another great name in photography bites the dust.
http://www.agfaphoto.com/en-US/index.html

Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

That news you just gave me about Agfa really worries me. If they stop making Rodinal developer I don't know what I'll end up using.

Nathan
Last edited by Nathan F on Wed 23 Nov 2005, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#4 Post by MU »

A mirror is available at http://dotpups.de/isos ,too.

Greets, Mark
Last edited by MU on Wed 23 Nov 2005, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks, Mark.

Nathan

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Grafpup-1.0.1

#6 Post by Lobster »

Nathan F wrote: Added four extra loop devices for a total of eight, now with the ability to run OpenOffice and KDE squash file simultaneously
I ran KDE and Open Office with the release candidate and found it was an excellent combination. (think I was using Barrys KDE package)

It was slower (there was a pause when swapping into KDE (very strange for a Puppy user) but I found it very stable. Using Icewm was fine.

I rather like the idea (must admit I have yet to try one) of the puptrix.org combinations
This is from the website http://grafpup.com/news/

friendly is spelt wrong Nathan - I should know my spelling is atrocious :oops:
What are the future plans for Grafpup? Will I be able to use my wacom tablet in mtpaint, Gimp and inkscape?
What's on the agenda for the future? I intend to make Grafpup more capable for a range of multimedia chores from audio editing and recording to video production. Grafpup's main focus will always remain the production of graphics for print and the web, but it is a nice solid base upon which to build. I intend to create packages for Audacity, Kino, and an updated Cinelerra. I also intend to provide firewire support eventually as so many media devices use this interface, including many professional digital cameras. This will involve a patched kernel, so any upgrades I make in this area will be available for Grafpup only, not for Puppy users. I'm also planning an update to the Grafpup website, with a whole lot more documentation and screenshots as well as examples of art that have been created using Grafpup. There may be a section with flash tutorials, plus a description of how Grafpup works under the hood. Much of this has already been documented on the Puppy site, but some has not been explained to my satisfaction and there are some things that are definately Grafpup specific. I am more than happy to accept help and contributions in this push, and will welcome user involvement as always. I want the site (and the OS) to be freindly to experienced Linux users and Windows refugees, as well as new computer users.
Other than that, I will incorporate any interesting new features that crop up in Puppy (beginning with the new Gaim and Pupzip) and will continue to provide the latest Gimp, Cinepaint, Scribus, and Inkscape packages. Note that both Gimp and Cinepaint are poised to deliver major updates in the coming months so this in itself should provide some interesting new features to Grafpup.
Very exciting. Can we have voice recognition? (I am so greedy)
Look forward to running the new Grafpup - with trimmings . . .

Listen guys this is a rare opportunity to be at the birth of a new class act Linux - it will feed back into Puppy. So please if a newby help out Nathan you will gain and learn more than you can possibly imagine . . .

:lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks, Lobster. Please remember that in order to run the two squash files at the same time the KDE file must be named usr_kde.sfs, also the one from grafpup.com is suitable for use with Grafpup but I haven't tried Barry's yet. It probably would work but I'm just mentioning this so you know I haven't tested it. The KDE file I made for Grafpup is essentially the same file that Bombayrockers created for Puppy but with some filesystem structure changes so that it can all go in the squash file and a few extra libraries.

It should already be possible to use a wacom tablet with Gimp, Inkscape, and mtPaint, although I'm no expert on how to set it up.

Don't hold your breath on voice recognition, my friend (I spelltt itt ryte this tyme, huh?) as I've never even considered it before now. If there's a package available or easily adaptible show me where and I will have a look, but I've got too many other projects going right now to try and forge new ground on this one.

And finally, yes, Wild Grubber Dog was really cool. I think the concept could actually be taken even further. The main limitation is that all of the pups look for usr_cram.fs in the same place. This was partially remedied by the fact that Mean Puppy has usr_cram INSIDE image.gz, making it possible to have two pups. If there were more pups with this feature then it would be possible to create an iso with more than just two pups on it. Grafpup isn't the best candidate for this feature as being nearly 75 MB it would require quite a bit more memory to boot, but the regular Puppy could be pretty easily modified to do this.

I do hope that my little project can feed back into Puppy as much as possible. That is part of my goal for it in the first place. I'd never have gotten to this point without the help of all the people here on this forum anyway, and for that I'll always be grateful.

Nathan