Providing Help: Putting my (our?) act together

Using applications, configuring, problems
rarsa

Providing Help: Putting my (our?) act together

#1 Post by rarsa »

This is mostly a 'note to self' but I'm really thinking aloud.

When answering a question or helping someone we should first check the wikki to see if the question is already there. If it is, just point a link to the question with a short note such as "here is the answer"...

Puppy is not that complex, so most of the questions are very similar. I've been lazy and I usually type the same response over and over. That's silly I know. That's why I'm writing this.

If we cannot find the answer we can just create the wikki page. It takes the same time to write it there than to write it here.

I think this should be done for all questions that have been resolved long time ago.

I am NOT suggesting adding pagesfor cases where we are not sure if the solution applies to most people. But we can always say "try this<linktowikki>" and if that does not work, try this .. etc. where the links are known solutions for similar problems.

For example:

How do I save my wireless settings? --> wikki
How do I install a printer? --> wikki
How do I change the monitor resolution/Refresh rate? --> wikki

Flash and Lobster have been trying to do that, but it's a big task. It wont take us longer to point to the wikki, It'll be the same of less effort than retyping and we will provide consistent answers and create awereness of the wikki.

Ok, If you see me deviating from this, please PM me with a strong repprimand. ;)