How to do a FULL install of Puppy, to an empty HDD (2010)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nic2109

#31 Post by nic2109 »

smokey01 wrote: nic2109, is there any benefit of installing (frugal) to EXT3 rather than EXT2?
Sorry but you credit me with more knowledge than I have. I really have no idea beyond what was posted earlier in this thread about that - you'll need to try and prompt an expert into replying!
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

smokey01

#32 Post by smokey01 »

nic2109 wrote:
smokey01 wrote: nic2109, is there any benefit of installing (frugal) to EXT3 rather than EXT2?
Sorry but you credit me with more knowledge than I have. I really have no idea beyond what was posted earlier in this thread about that - you'll need to try and prompt an expert into replying!
Thanks anyway.

bambuko

#33 Post by bambuko »

CatDude,
just to add my thanks for an excellent how-to :!:
following my battles with an old laptop (also greatly assisted by your article), I have had a go at wiping out a desktop and doing full install on HDD.
It took fifteen minutes and apart from the hang up at the boot screen (overcome by changing timeout to 0 ) it was dead easy 8)

Another happy customer :lol:
Thanks

Chris

CatDude

#34 Post by CatDude »

Hello bambuko
bambuko wrote:CatDude,
just to add my thanks for an excellent how-to :!:
following my battles with an old laptop (also greatly assisted by your article), I have had a go at wiping out a desktop and doing full install on HDD.
It took fifteen minutes and apart from the hang up at the boot screen (overcome by changing timeout to 0 ) it was dead easy 8)
Very glad to here it was of help to you.
As to the timeout, MaZZly pointed out how to get it to boot straight to the desktop in the second post.
Personally i like a timeout of at least several seconds, as i have quite a few different puppies installed, both Full & Frugals,
and it allows me to easily select whatever i decide i want to boot into.

Anyway its good to know that you found it "dead easy" 8)
Dont you just love Puppy :lol:
bambuko wrote: Another happy customer :lol:
Thanks

Chris
Your very welcome mate.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

ErosP

Kudos for Catdude - make this a sticky!

#35 Post by ErosP »

As a Linux newbie, this is the best and simplest tutorial I have seen on installing Puppy to a HDD. I vote we make this a sticky and have it as the defacto how-to for installing!

Regards, Eros

CatDude

Re: Kudos for Catdude - make this a sticky!

#36 Post by CatDude »

Hello ErosP
ErosP wrote:As a Linux newbie, this is the best and simplest tutorial I have seen on installing Puppy to a HDD. I vote we make this a sticky and have it as the defacto how-to for installing!

Regards, Eros
Thankyou for the kind remarks, i am glad that you found this howto helpful.
As to making it a sticky, well thats down to the moderators or someone i suppose.

Again thankyou

CatDude

jcrichardson30360

Problems with GRUB on Dell Lattitude LM P166

#37 Post by jcrichardson30360 »

Since my OLD laptop can't boot from a floppy, I did a reformat/full install from my desktop using a 2.5" USB external case and all seemed to go as expected.

I then pulled it out of the case and installed it in my laptop and when it gets to the GRUB loader screen it kicks out an "Error 18" almost immediately. Any idea what that error is and where I might be going wrong?

I'm trying to breath new life into this dinosaur of a laptop and looks like Puppy will be the ticket... IF I can get it on my system.

CatDude

#38 Post by CatDude »

Hi jcrichardson30360

Welcome to the kennels mate.

With regard to your error message, here is what it says in the GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area.
This generally happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).
I would suggest that you start a new thread over in the beginners section,
maybe something like "Full Install GRUB Error 18"
then hopefully some of the forums experts will see it and respond.

I also suggest that you provide as much information as possible,
things like:

Make & Model of Laptop (i only just seen it, in the sub heading)
How much RAM it has
What size HDD it has (and how you have it partitioned, sizes & formats)
Puppy version you are using.

The more info you provide, the more likely someone can help you.

CatDude

robertito

#39 Post by robertito »

An extremely helpful post ! The only thing still baffling me is this: I have a SATA disk and an IDE disk, both formatted the same way. Other distros I've experimented with recognise both discs, but Puppy does not see the SATA.
Anyone got an idea why this is ?

CatDude

#40 Post by CatDude »

Hi robertito
robertito wrote:An extremely helpful post !
Thankyou
robertito wrote: The only thing still baffling me is this: I have a SATA disk and an IDE disk, both formatted the same way. Other distros I've experimented with recognise both discs, but Puppy does not see the SATA.
Anyone got an idea why this is ?
I cant help you there, try a forum search for SATA
tick the radio button next to Search post title only.
Maybe that will throw something up for you.

CatDude

robertito

#41 Post by robertito »

It seems it's a question of having the right kernel, but I'm not capable of knowing how to fix it at the moment.

ErosP

thread bump

#42 Post by ErosP »

Just me bumping the thread to the top - I asked the powers to be to make this a sticky, I think it's that useful!

Eros

CatDude

Re: thread bump

#43 Post by CatDude »

Hi Eros
ErosP wrote:Just me bumping the thread to the top - I asked the powers to be to make this a sticky, I think it's that useful!
I appreciate the thought, and your tenacity.

Many thanks

CatDude

ieee488

#44 Post by ieee488 »

Terrific!

It also showed me that there wasn't a problem with a portion of the LCD on my laptop.

The top left corner of your screen captures of X shows a bit of fuzziness too which means it is in the photo used for the background and not my LCD.

CatDude

#45 Post by CatDude »

Hi ieee488
ieee488 wrote:Terrific!
Thanks.
ieee488 wrote: It also showed me that there wasn't a problem with a portion of the LCD on my laptop.

The top left corner of your screen captures of X shows a bit of fuzziness too which means it is in the photo used for the background and not my LCD.
I think you will find that it is actually the icon of the house that is blurred,
see the image below where i have relocated the icon.
Still very blurry, yes.

CatDude
Attachments
icons.png
(50.82 KiB) Downloaded 2374 times

ErosP

bumpitty-bump and then some!

#46 Post by ErosP »

Alrighty... first things first - BUMP!

Second, now I know that this is the amazing HDD install thread ( :arrow: hey moderators, make this a sticky :!: ) but I have to ask (slightly OT) how you go about changing the wallpaper on your screen in Puppy? Dumb question perhaps, but when one is coming from a WinDoze environment like me, Linux can seem a tad confusing at times.

CatDude, maybe you might want to do a series if graphical how-tos or put together a "PL for Dummies" type of publication for the rest of us WinDoze refugees? :wink:

Regards,
Eros

p.s. promise no other OT questions on this thread!

bambuko

Re: bumpitty-bump and then some!

#47 Post by bambuko »

ErosP wrote:... I have to ask (slightly OT) how you go about changing the wallpaper on your screen in Puppy?...
from one Puppy newb to another :lol:
assuming you are talking about 4.0 read this (others might be different):
http://www.puppylinux.org/manual
trust me - the answer is there (I have found it :P )
ErosP wrote:...p.s. promise no other OT questions on this thread!
it's just that it makes searching for answers difficult and messy - why clutter CatDude's excellent topic with questions that have nothing to do with it :roll:

Chris

Bandito

Missing Operating System

#48 Post by Bandito »

Machine is IBM ThinkPad 600E, 128 Mb RAM, 6 Gb hdd. Machine boots and operates flawlessly from CD-ROM. Followed procedure here for full install and installation of GRUB, plus subsequent advice. Puppy is installed and I've edited the menu1st file as advised. But on reboot I get a "Missing operating system" error. Please advise.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#49 Post by Béèm »

@catdude
Having seen your initial post with the screen shots, can you tell me how you defined a hda in Qemu?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Tubatasm

#50 Post by Tubatasm »

After having (seemingly) successfully done a full install onto an empty HD, I was loading on some .pup files and the computer froze. If this was windows, I would have ctl, alt, deleted, but being linux I didn't know hat kind of adverse effects there might be to doing this. So instead I simply pressed the power button and shut it off. Now, when I restarted, it begins booting, and senses the mouse and key board, and then right after checking for a modem it presents me with

#

a linux prompt. x_x. Can you tihnk of any way to get past this and back into the GUI? Need any more info?

thanks,
Chris