How to disable screen saver? (solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
nitrobanshee

#16 Post by nitrobanshee »

If this is not a sticky, it needs to be for all of the car PC`s out there running Puppy like me. It took a long time to find it. Make a script with xset s off -dpms and inset into the start up folder if running puppy 4 and up.
erikson wrote:Actually the issue is confusing because one should indeed think of setting both screensaver and dpms (display power management signaling) parameters.

This can be done in one, combined xset command.

Code: Select all

xset s off -dpms
For Puppy series 4, the command can be put in a separate script placed in the startup folder (which is new to Puppy 4).

For Puppy series 3, the command can be put in /root/.xinitrc (or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local).

---
NB: There are still other ways, better integrated with xset gui's, and involving the /root/.xset.sh script. I'm working on a detailed, fully documented howto.

brwnstown

#17 Post by brwnstown »

dansolo wrote:Another way:

1- Do wath Lobster said
(be sure that (in Pupx) you click the 'Exit apply and save settings' button)
Lobster wrote:From the menu Puppy 4
  • Menu / Desktop / pupx / Screensaver
    untick 'enable screensaver'
2- Then, in rox, go to root directory.
3- Right clik on 'eye' button
(now you can see shared files witch names have a dot before the file name)
4- Right clik over '.xset.sh' file.
5- In the contextual menu go to " File '.xset.sh' / Permissions /"
6- Be sure that the command 'a+x (Make executable/searchable) is selected.
7- Clik the 'yes' button.

Please come here and reply us your results.
Thank you.

This worked fine on puppy 511. Thanks

zandarian

#18 Post by zandarian »

dansolo wrote: 3- Right clik on 'eye' button
(now you can see shared files witch names have a dot before the file name)
Thanks.

You have to left click to see the hidden files ( instead of witch :-) it should be which).

In my live Lucid Puppy 511 .xset.sh is created after, in Menu -> Desktop -> Desktop settings -> pupX..., I click on Apply. But that hidden file is created with execution/search permissions for all the users, as seen on the file properties, so 2 to 7 steps wouldn't be necessary. Perhaps if you install Puppy on your HDD this file is created without those permissions?

I think that .xset.sh is the configuration file for the xset command: if you run xset with some parameters (or use pupX -the graphical way-) that config file changes. So, if Puppy is installed (not live) the next time you boot it it should remember the changes (for example if you want a screensaver or not).

Are the suggestions of this thread valid for both full and frugal instalations of Puppy to a HDD?

Regards