Network set-up is not saved

Jose

Network set-up is not saved

#1 Post by Jose »

Hello everybody,

I run frugal install on a hard-drive and I have to run network card wizard every time I start the comp.After that my network connection works fine, just when I shut down, it is not saved, despite the fact I click "Save the configuration" in network wizard.

I searched wiki and forum here but did not find anything regarding which files should be edited to keep the configuration. Can anybody help?

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

This was a problem with quite old Puppies. What version are you using? It should work fine with recent Puppies without editing anything.
If you can figure out how to connect manually, you could just put the code for that in a startup script.
If you are connecting through a network card, code like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local might work

Code: Select all

#Connect to Network/Internet
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.*
dhcpcd eth0
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jose

#3 Post by Jose »

Hi disciple, yes, I should have written before that I am running Puppy 4 dingo. Also the lan adapter is connected via usb port - it is davicom 9601 usb lan adapter.

I tried the code you suggested but no change. Maybe the fact that it is usb lan adapter changes something?

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Well, I'm not sure if it is actually eth0, or if you are actually using dhcp or a static IP.

But I think it is most likely that you need to load the module for the card first. When you run the wizard, do you have to load the module?
You could probably add another line of code something like

modprobe tulip

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

Hi disciple,

I got half way through - now my rc.local file looks like this:

modprobe tulip
modprobe dm9601
modprobe ohci-hcd
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.*
dhcpcd eth0
and I do not have to load module anymore in the network wizard (huray!!!!)

I use automatic ip assignment so I still have to click on AutoDHCP button to activate the network adapter. I though that dhcpcd eth0 would take care of that but it does not. The interface is always set to eth0. Can you tell me which command should I put in to rc.local to have the ip address assigned at the start of the computer?

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

I imagine you only need one of those modprobe lines - whichever one matches your network card.

I think the dhcpcd line should get you an IP address. Maybe Puppy doesn't keep the IP address in /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.* anymore. You could try pasting those two lines into a terminal to see what happens.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

disciple,

only now I discovered your hint - thanks for it, I got it working in the meantime - you are right, dhcpcd eth0 in rc.local does the trick :wink:

Jose