Not a howto, but a request for a compiling howto.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Johnny Reb

#16 Post by Johnny Reb »

Anonymous wrote:Here's a simple explanation I've found (works for me) for compiling on a Slackware based system:

PACKAGE CREATION
================
1. Create the package creation directory

# mkdir -p /pkgcreate/usr/local

2. Unpack the source distribution, configure it
then compile.
... you should be in /pkgcreate (?)

# tar -zxvf foobar-a.b.c.tar.gz (so you now have directory /pkgcreate/foobar-a.b.c )
# cd foobar-a.b.c
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local (the ultimate destination)
# make

3. 'Install' the created files in the package
creation directory.

# make install prefix=/pkgcreate/usr/local (where you want the intermediate install to go)

4. Build the tarball package

# cd /pkgcreate
# makepkg foobar-a.b.c-i686-1.tgz
(usually follow the suggestions to create symbolic
links via the script and to NOT change ownership
attributes of the files)

5. Presto you have your tarball package! Stow it
away for safekeeping. (when you "installpkg" it will now go into /usr/local)

Hope this helps a bit.

Rgds

GS

vp&ftgs
Thanks, between the information you have given me, and that Nathan has given me I think I've got a good chance of getting things to work. I don't know if I'll boot back into Pup 1.0.5 and try it tonight, but if I don't I will tomorrow. After several days of working on it I'm thinking of just surfing tonight. Oh, btw I did try the slackware packages, and they didn't work. The one I tried was GnuPG, and it installed without any problem, but when I tried to run ./gpg it couldn't find a library file it needed.

The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are.

H.L. Mencken
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

noip

#17 Post by noip »

JR

I understand about the library files. It can be frustrating. The nice thing about Slackware / Vector, is that because there is no dependency checking with their package management system, programs are compiled for a PARTICULAR VERSION of that distro, which means that except in exceptional circumstances, the required libraries WILL exist on the host system.

Puppy is tied closely to Vector 5.1 (?) so that most of the libraries are common (obviously Puppy has to cut down on some).

What am I trying to say? A bit of patience, and you'll find that if there are any missing libraries on any programs you transfer from Slackware / Vector, you'll probably be able to find them on the host system and you'll have a good chance of ultimate success.

Don't give up.

GS

vp&ftgs

Johnny Reb

#18 Post by Johnny Reb »

noip wrote: What am I trying to say? A bit of patience, and you'll find that if there are any missing libraries on any programs you transfer from Slackware / Vector, you'll probably be able to find them on the host system and you'll have a good chance of ultimate success.

Don't give up.
Give up? Me? That ain't going to happen! ':wink:' Shoot, after fooling with windoze for several years Linux is a breeze ':lol:'. I'm just trying to get off to a running start. I love to tinker, and working with an OS that is friendly to tinkering, and customization is great. It's also very refreshing to work with an OS that don't crash when you push it just a little, and is not ram starved. I've pushed Puppy way beyond the limits of anything I could do with windoze, and it ain't even wimpered ':P:'. I did kind of crash it one night though, although it really wasn't a crash as such. I had been surfing all night, and had multiple browser windows open, with multiple tabs open in each one. I wasn't paying the least bit of attention to system resources because it wasn't too long after I got Puppy online, and I was still used to the behavior of windoze. Anyway, I opened one window too many, and all of a sudden everything stopped except for the mouse, and it would only move very slowly, and jerked when moving. I managed to get one last thing to open, the view running processes, which I had minimumized (sp?), and it revealed that I had 640Mb out of 640Mb of ram in use. It actually didn't crash, it just did not have any ram left to work with, and quit responding. The thing that impressed me most was the fact that up until it had used the last bit of ram available it had showed absolutly no sign of being under any stress. Had I been using win2k or any other version of windoze, the computer would have crashed a long time before I got anywhere near that point, and would have been complaining loudly about the stress it was under. Puppy is one tough Pup!

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people... Be not intimidated, therefore, by any terrors, from publishing with the utmost freedom...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretenses of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice."

-- John Adams
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Puppy is one tough Pup

#19 Post by Lobster »

Puppy is one tough Pup!
It is the truth. I had (not sure how) no menu system - probably too many of the experimental window managers to speak of.
:roll:
Basically if I clicked on Start all I had was one option (not a full menu)

. . . Puppy was disintegrating around me (was running other programs that were going off at tangents) and yet I was able to continue a conversation I was having with Dex and Klh on IRC ...

The Puppy was running with a patch, wounded by Lobster clobbering (sorry Pup) and limping to the very end.

Brave Pup. :?

But and now the happy ending . . . :D

Shot and deleted the pup001 - it was the kind thing to do.
Shut down system
. . .
and like a phoenix the Puppy was back and friskier than ever in 15 mins. Browsing and causing Puppy mischief . . .
Puppy is one tough Pup!

8) Puppy - A computers Best Friend
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

menno

#20 Post by menno »

Code: Select all

The one I tried was GnuPG, and it installed without any problem, but when I tried to run ./gpg it couldn't find a library file it needed. 
As I understand the compiling is correct but it is missing some lib's .
Mostly you been told what lib ,per example : blabla.so . Search thrue the systeem if you have somewhere a blabla.* . It would be posseble a) it is put into a directory which is not in LD_LIBRARY_PATH , b) you find a blabla.a then you have to convert the blabla.a into blabla.so .
Done by

Code: Select all

ld --whole-archive -shared -o blabla.so blabla.a