Lappy Project

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mortuis99

Lappy Project

#1 Post by mortuis99 »

I have acquired 2 Amrel Rocky II laptops (PIII 500 with 128 megs no HD or CD drives yet) I want to install puppy on them and use them.

Also i might need drivers for them (esp the touch screen). If anyone can help with this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what interesting things i can do with them with puppy?

At least one on them i want to set up to boot from memory instead of booting from the HD.

any suggestions?

thanks
:?:

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

"boot from memory" - I think that is impossible. Do you mean "Load Puppy entirely into ram"? - if so, you just need to add some more ram, but I don't know how cheap it is for laptops - if you need to get hard drives and CD drives as well, then you may be better off acquiring a whole working laptop instead... But if they have a touch screen, and you can get that working, they would be cool :)

I don't know about drivers or anything, but there are a few people who've had touch screens working in Puppy, so it is worth giving the forum a search, as well as googling for your specific hardware and Linux. I think you need to be prepared to put quite a bit of effort into it if necessary.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Does anyone have any suggestions on what interesting things i can do with them with puppy?
Turn them into Buddhist shrines perhaps . . .
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=YapInfo
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pistoi0

#4 Post by pistoi0 »

@mortuis99

I am running an AST Ascentia M, P166 MMX, 128 RAM, no HD, no CD. The Puppy is Dingo 4 k 2.26.25. I load via a CF card inserted into a card reader connected to the machine's one USB port. The pup boots from the floppy drive using Wakepup2. Naturally with a 166 processor, the machine is slow. Still, everything works: wireless internet, sound, xvesa. Haven't tried printing and don't expect to do that. I surf the web (slowly), but listen to music streams. If i wanted to speed up surfing I would add Dillo to the Seamonkey, Bon Echo choices I already have.

Good luck.

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

@mortuis99

you might find this useful:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754

uses for a laptop?,...... apart from being a laptop?.................

picture frame/alarm clock/music centre/video display/home theatre centre/router/hardware firewall/webserver/network fileserver/network bridge/network printserver/remote server terminal/P2P download station/TV/bit-torrent hub|mirror/SETI@home/Folding@home/linux cluster station/picoprogrammer/domestic remote controller/robot central command module/desktop publisher|editing suite/environmental monitoring/battery charge controller/wifi bridge|AP/weather station/solar panel motorised tracker control/3D model maker/cnc lathe|router controller/spampot/diary/egg timer/virtual machine/birthday card/asterisk telephone network interface/ham radio interface/linux teaching tool/games console/kids toy/OLPC donation
..... etc etc & loads more......... like maybe laptop use research tool?

Aitch :D