Puppy 4.1 Alpha 2

Please post any bugs you have found
jplagarde

Re: Just to Report Ethernet Jack Not Autodetected on Inspiro

#46 Post by jplagarde »

tempestuous,

Thanks for the reply. I had tried both of those, but just to double check I did it again. I unplugged the usb ethernet I had, rebooted with the cat5 cable plugged into the jack. THen I went to "connect" and saw that the computer did not recognize anything. So then I went to "Load" and tried both the eepro100 and the e100 (both intels) and after loading it said on both occasions that no new hardware was detected.

I'm just loading modules not clicking specify that allows for parameters.

Thanks again!

rerwin

SmartLink USB modem detected but driver fails to load

#47 Post by rerwin »

Booting with my SL USB modem plugged in produces a bootsysinitlog error and many error messages.
FATAL: Error inserting slusb (/lib/modules/2.6.25.4/slmodem/slusb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_alloc_urb
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_free_urb
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_register_driver
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_clear_halt
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_submit_urb
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_control_msg
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_set_interface
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_deregister
slusb: Unknown symbol usb_unlink_urb
Module slusb does not appear in lsmod output.

In addition, when I use only the PCI SL card, the modem is recognized but the connect to my ISP talks at the ISP but gets no response from it. So, even if slusb is corrected, it may still not work fully; but I need the fix in order to verify that.
Richard

zygo

Modem not responsing

#48 Post by zygo »

Barry,

I can't dial up with my serial USRobotics modem and pupdial. It says modem not responding. It works fine in 4.0.0.

My USB floppy's vendor and model have already been listed by someone on your blog. I tried wakepup2-20070919.pet and it doesn't find the CD drive on my new PC. Does it work with SATA drives. My CD drive might be SATA - the HDD is.

Could you put up a shield for the Pmount window before it's removed for refresh. When resources are low things don't happen so quickly and there's a danger of me clicking on an underlying window. It could be like the orange one that comes up after clicking refresh (and should come up after USB RAM insertion IMHO) but it would need to have the same size and position.

Can I thank you and all the developers for Puppy Linux.

pakt

Pmount mod

#49 Post by pakt »

zygo wrote:Could you put up a shield for the Pmount window before it's removed for refresh. When resources are low things don't happen so quickly and there's a danger of me clicking on an underlying window. It could be like the orange one that comes up after clicking refresh (and should come up after USB RAM insertion IMHO) but it would need to have the same size and position.
I've been wanting to comment on Pmount and my idea may just solve this situation.

When 'REFRESH' is clicked in Pmount, I would like the Pmount window to remain on screen with the orange 'detecting drives' window superimposed on it. The Pmount window should just refresh quickly when the orange window closes. This would be less disturbing and also avoid the problem zygo mentions.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

nic2109

#50 Post by nic2109 »

boscobearbank wrote:
Sage wrote:The number of folks using more than three or four partitions is probably limited to <0.1% of punters reading this Forum?
Count me in that < 0.1%. On the other hand, I have yet to determine a solution to the drive mounting/display problem that I consider ideal, I'll take whatever Barry's giving.
Count me in too.

Like many who dual-boot with The Devil's Own OS I have 3 partions for 'doze (Boot, Main and Recovery) plus a fourth for Puppy which is sub-divided into more - currently 3. Just how many varies depending on what I'm trying. And then I plug in one or two USB devices.........

So I like the Hotpup layout with an icon for each partition/device. But then I have a 17" widescreen laptop so there's plenty of room.

However; with the increasing popularity of the EeePC and similar kit with a small screen I can see that Barry's compromise is rational. There just wouldn't be room for all my drives on a little screen if each has an icon of its own. So I favour an icon per physical device which opens either Rox or Pmount (or MUT, of course) whichever is appropriate.
[color=darkblue][b][size=150]Nick[/size][/b][/color]

zygo

#51 Post by zygo »

pakt,

Yes, if the Pmount controls can be greyed-out while the orange box is on the screen. :)

PaulBx1

#52 Post by PaulBx1 »

It should work like in HotPup where the drive is mounted and a ROX window opens. When the window is closed, ask if the partition should be unmounted - nice and simple!
Ummm, I think the first half makes some sense, but I don't like the second half. If a click of an icon mounts the partition, then a click of an icon (of a mounted partition) should unmount it. It's just wrong to have two different applications toggle the mount state. Also I don't like being nagged constantly when I close a Rox window, I just want the dang thing to go away.

Are we making Pmount/MUT pointless? A shame, I like them.

I think Sage makes some sense. Let the default be friendly to Windows refugees (within reason!). Let configurations options exist to please the linux hotshots or those with big systems and numerous partitions.

dogone

Alternative event manager drive icons

#53 Post by dogone »

I recently suggested to Barry that he reconsider his choice of event manager device icons. To my eye, something more subtle is in order. Dougal's use of a colored dot for instance, is both effective and "smart".

I'm definitely no graphic artist, but I took a few minutes to design three alternatives for the hard drive. It takes Dougal's idea a bit further by employing shape and color. Please comment if you have any feelings one way or the other. Feel free to borrow and improve.

BTW, it occurs to me now that the "unmounted" icon needs no symbol.
Attachments
drive48_mounted.png
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 2611 times
drive48_unmountable.png
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 2499 times
drive48_umounted.png
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 2514 times

John Doe

#54 Post by John Doe »

just wanted to mention that i like the colored dots and the logic behind it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#55 Post by BarryK »

dogone,
Yes I would agree that there is no need for the grey-square when the partition is unmounted, as that is just visual clutter.
The idea of a yellow triangle is interesting, as the triangle shape is associated with warning symbols, so that is appropriate.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#56 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:
It should work like in HotPup where the drive is mounted and a ROX window opens. When the window is closed, ask if the partition should be unmounted - nice and simple!
Ummm, I think the first half makes some sense, but I don't like the second half. If a click of an icon mounts the partition, then a click of an icon (of a mounted partition) should unmount it. It's just wrong to have two different applications toggle the mount state. Also I don't like being nagged constantly when I close a Rox window, I just want the dang thing to go away.

Are we making Pmount/MUT pointless? A shame, I like them.

I think Sage makes some sense. Let the default be friendly to Windows refugees (within reason!). Let configurations options exist to please the linux hotshots or those with big systems and numerous partitions.
You'll like what I've done in the latest incarnation of the desktop icons management. It's fully configurable for the Windows-refugees and for Linux hotshots. My system does not give ROX-Filer any responsibility for mounting or unmounting a partition -- to unmount, either you use Pmount or you right-click on a desktop icon and choose 'unmount' from the menu.

Of course, noone is going to appreciate it and suggest improvements until they can get their hands on it. Hopefully 4.1alpha3 isn't too far away!
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

pigshed

triangle

#57 Post by pigshed »

regarding the mounted, unmountable icons ..

I'm colour blind to a small degree - yellows and greens generally all look the same to me (and they often get used for different buttons, indicators)

Wouldn't a red triangle be more of a warning ? and more immediately obvious by both different shape and colour/contrast ?

Though an alternative would be a yellow/green triangle positioned pointing to the right > like a play button, suggesting it's playing/in use ? and either a red square or circle suggesting a warning and stop ? The square being more standard with audio/video/media players and a circle being more like a traffic sign stop (well, part of it..) ? ...

Cheers, Adam.

PaulBx1

#58 Post by PaulBx1 »

Well, using different shapes takes care of the color-blind problem. The question seems to be, what shapes?

It's a bit strange to mix traffic sign shapes with computer stuff, also there is the question of how universal are the sign shapes? Stop is a red octagon in the US. A yellow triangle is warning but it's inverted and more toward orange than dogone's example.

I don't have much of an opinion on the matter other than to say I like the colored dot idea generally. Sounds like you have a good plan Barry. I did like past examples warning to not pull mounted drives as well, but is that too obvious? Does everyone know that?

We'll use a different icon for flash drives I assume.

One could spend eons picking through different ways of handling icons, or arguing esthetics. :?

John Doe

#59 Post by John Doe »

Instead of a yellow triangle, perhaps one of these red circles with a line through it placed in the upper left hand corner. Much smaller of course, like the size of the green dot.

Isn't this a pretty much universal sign?
Attachments
NOSYMBL.gif
(14.88 KiB) Downloaded 6740 times

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Long past time to completely abandon GXine. There are far too many issues on far too much kit. It doesn't work properly on most kit older than a couple of years nor on my new lcd TV. The fora, including this one, is awash with cries of despair about this useless app. So far, I found that Xine and Goggle, (MU introduced this in his mini) are streets ahead. If this involves different compilers & w.h.y., so be it. Watching DVDs and all that video stuff has become a core function demanded by users today, displacing some of the interest in digital photography of last year. Not my bag, but it's importance cannot be denied. It's as important as blasting large holes in the silly nonsense the Yanks try to propagate over software patents, DRM, CSS and all their other greedy leveraging capitalistic monopolistic practices. Let's hope the departure of the idiot son brings enlightenment.

tronkel

#61 Post by tronkel »

See this thread, which seems to uncover a problem with compiling using cc from the latest 4.02Alpha devx.sfs

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 897#206897

cc doesn't work, g++ does work and gcc doesn't work. in this version.

Muggins says it all works in Puppy 2.16 using this code
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Greatnessguru

RAM boot regression: black screen, icons & wallpaper

#62 Post by Greatnessguru »

- I booted the Puppy 4.0.2, 4 JUN 2008, CD
on my Gateway 2000, 64MB RAM, 200MB swap.

- I entered: puppy pfix=ram

- I entered video parameters, etc., as usual...

All went well until the part where
the Artic Scene wallpaper and all the
icons should appear. They never did.

The whole screen remained black except for:
- the "Welcome! ..." banner at the top,
which appeared for awhile, then disappeared.
- the tab bar at the bottom of the screen,
that appeared as it normally does.

Right clicking the mouse,
or left clicking the Puppy Menu,
both bring up the master menus as normal.

- I rebooted with Puppy 4.0.1 CD, pfix=ram:
wallpaper and icons appear as expected.

- I did not do any Frugal or Full install/boot testing
of Puppy 4.0.2.
I have a Frugal install of Puppy 4.0.1. That works.

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox
Inwood IA USA

stevenbinion

#63 Post by stevenbinion »

I'm using a full install of Alpha 2. I'm glad to find it's giving me access to the CDROM where 4.00 wasn't.

With the full install I made the devx into a .pet and I just wanted to post the results of the dependency check.

Code: Select all

These dependencies required by devx-4.0.2 package are missing:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libarthurplugin.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libworldtimeclockplugin.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcontainerextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libqt3supportwidgets.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libtaskmenuextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcustomwidgetplugin.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtdemo has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lupdate has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/designer has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lrelease has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/assistant has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtconfig has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/pixeltool has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/linguist has these missing library files:
 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/uic3 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qt3to4 has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQt3Support.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtAssistantClient.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesigner.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:

The PETget package manager does not know what package/s has/have these libraries.
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

Greatnessguru

Puppy not "specifying" itself to website stats.

#64 Post by Greatnessguru »

I just checked my website hosting statistics.

For "Operating Systems", May 2008:
"Linux 250 11.8 %
Ubuntu 4 0.1 %
Fedora 5 0.2 %
Debian 2 0 %
GNU Linux (Unknown or
unspecified distribution) 239 11.3 %"

I have used Puppy 4.00."test"/4.01.Alpha.X
for at least a few accesses.

Barry,
Can Puppy be built to "specify" itself
so that it shows up in website stats?

Maybe this means mucking with the
browser UA string. In that case,
we might want to leave it be as is.

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

Caneri

#65 Post by Caneri »

@ Greatnessguru,

yes it would be good to see Puppy in my logs as well.

I'm SURE there are many hits from Puppy but as far as I know they show up as unknown or Linux.

Linux OS hits are 49.5% in my logs...and unknown are 3.1%. I am sure there are more Puppy Linux hits than 3.1%.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]