Puppy 4.1 Alpha 2

Please post any bugs you have found
tronkel

#61 Post by tronkel »

See this thread, which seems to uncover a problem with compiling using cc from the latest 4.02Alpha devx.sfs

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 897#206897

cc doesn't work, g++ does work and gcc doesn't work. in this version.

Muggins says it all works in Puppy 2.16 using this code
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Greatnessguru

RAM boot regression: black screen, icons & wallpaper

#62 Post by Greatnessguru »

- I booted the Puppy 4.0.2, 4 JUN 2008, CD
on my Gateway 2000, 64MB RAM, 200MB swap.

- I entered: puppy pfix=ram

- I entered video parameters, etc., as usual...

All went well until the part where
the Artic Scene wallpaper and all the
icons should appear. They never did.

The whole screen remained black except for:
- the "Welcome! ..." banner at the top,
which appeared for awhile, then disappeared.
- the tab bar at the bottom of the screen,
that appeared as it normally does.

Right clicking the mouse,
or left clicking the Puppy Menu,
both bring up the master menus as normal.

- I rebooted with Puppy 4.0.1 CD, pfix=ram:
wallpaper and icons appear as expected.

- I did not do any Frugal or Full install/boot testing
of Puppy 4.0.2.
I have a Frugal install of Puppy 4.0.1. That works.

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox
Inwood IA USA

stevenbinion

#63 Post by stevenbinion »

I'm using a full install of Alpha 2. I'm glad to find it's giving me access to the CDROM where 4.00 wasn't.

With the full install I made the devx into a .pet and I just wanted to post the results of the dependency check.

Code: Select all

These dependencies required by devx-4.0.2 package are missing:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libarthurplugin.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libworldtimeclockplugin.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcontainerextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libqt3supportwidgets.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libtaskmenuextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcustomwidgetplugin.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtdemo has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lupdate has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/designer has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lrelease has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/assistant has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtconfig has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/pixeltool has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/linguist has these missing library files:
 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/uic3 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qt3to4 has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQt3Support.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtAssistantClient.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesigner.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:

The PETget package manager does not know what package/s has/have these libraries.
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

Greatnessguru

Puppy not "specifying" itself to website stats.

#64 Post by Greatnessguru »

I just checked my website hosting statistics.

For "Operating Systems", May 2008:
"Linux 250 11.8 %
Ubuntu 4 0.1 %
Fedora 5 0.2 %
Debian 2 0 %
GNU Linux (Unknown or
unspecified distribution) 239 11.3 %"

I have used Puppy 4.00."test"/4.01.Alpha.X
for at least a few accesses.

Barry,
Can Puppy be built to "specify" itself
so that it shows up in website stats?

Maybe this means mucking with the
browser UA string. In that case,
we might want to leave it be as is.

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

Caneri

#65 Post by Caneri »

@ Greatnessguru,

yes it would be good to see Puppy in my logs as well.

I'm SURE there are many hits from Puppy but as far as I know they show up as unknown or Linux.

Linux OS hits are 49.5% in my logs...and unknown are 3.1%. I am sure there are more Puppy Linux hits than 3.1%.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

stevenbinion

#66 Post by stevenbinion »

Since I've downloaded Alpha2 I've been playing around with it mostly as a full install which I've been very pleased with. But I just recently tried to use it as a Live CD and when I told it to create a save file, there is no save file being made. I'm running a clean boot everytime I restart.
[b][[url=http://www.tekwolf.net]Home of Wolf Pup Linux[/url]][/b]

kirk

#67 Post by kirk »

All went well until the part where
the Artic Scene wallpaper and all the
icons should appear. They never did.
Me too. Only when booting ram-only or the first boot after making a pup_save file and not every time. Restarting X fixes it.

Stevenbinion,

The dependency problem with your qt4 pet is that Puppy's /etc/profile checks for the existence of /opt/qt4, and if it exists, sets the lib path for it. When you re-boot all should be fine.

eccentric

dingo 4 alpha 2

#68 Post by eccentric »

Some time back i reported that i could not get Masquerade ( internet sharing) to work when setting up my pppoe interface. I have now found a way to make this work, on the master computer set up eth0 to your url
(mine is static) then set the pppoe, but select 0 (no firewall ) select start
and the master will work. Then go to your second card eth1 and set that up with your address, i use 192.168.0.1. gate way blank, dns should be the same as the dns of the eth0.

now go to the slaves and set up eth0, mine is 192.168.0.2 then 192.168.0.3 and so on. the gate way is 192.168.0.1 the dns is the same as the master.

now return to the master, enable rxvt then type the following.

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ppp0 -j MASQUERADE ( then hit the enter button)
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth1 -j ACCEPT ( then hit the enter button)
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ( then hit the enter button)
iptables-save ( then hit the enter button) you can look at your handy work with:- iptablels -vL (then the enter button)
after the word eth is a number, also after ppp is a number.
i cannot try net work only, but i think if you change ppp0 to eth0 it could work. For more info try:- www.netfilter.org/documentation
to all the genius out there if i have made a mistake please correct.
i hope this helps some one. If some one has got the pppoe to work as Masquerade please tell us all how???? Michael.

ttuuxxx

#69 Post by ttuuxxx »

stevenbinion wrote:I'm using a full install of Alpha 2. I'm glad to find it's giving me access to the CDROM where 4.00 wasn't.

With the full install I made the devx into a .pet and I just wanted to post the results of the dependency check.

Code: Select all

These dependencies required by devx-4.0.2 package are missing:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libarthurplugin.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libworldtimeclockplugin.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcontainerextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libqt3supportwidgets.so has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libtaskmenuextension.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/plugins/designer/libcustomwidgetplugin.so has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtdemo has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lupdate has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/designer has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/lrelease has these missing library files:
File /opt/qt4/bin/assistant has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qtconfig has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/pixeltool has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/linguist has these missing library files:
 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/uic3 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/bin/qt3to4 has these missing library files:
 libQtXml.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQt3Support.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtAssistantClient.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesigner.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:
 libQtScript.so.4 libQtXml.so.4 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /opt/qt4/lib/libQtDesignerComponents.so.4.3.2 has these missing library files:

The PETget package manager does not know what package/s has/have these libraries.
the problem about that is that you didn't use my devx_400.pet,lol I fixed that problem in it, Basically if you look in your petget package manager you'll see qt4.4.3.2, Install that package first and then run your pet, After that you'll be missing 1 dependency then I compiled qt 4.4.3.2 and replaced the missing one. I started doing this with puppy 3.01
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/pr ... vx_400.pet
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/pr ... vx3.01.pet
If you want a complete Qt4 compile use my pet.
well its not a 100% complete, If you ever compile qt4 you'll find that its a 150mb compressed achieve and when you expand it its over 300mb and when you start to compile the directory it expands over 2.6gig's and when you remove just the libs and nothing else its around 160mb, Qt4 also include debug, webkit, etc libs. Actually a very nice package to look at. Too bad we don't have the space to use it all.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)