Ethernet detection on new Del Inspiron 1525/1526

SkyPilot

Ethernet detection on new Del Inspiron 1525/1526

#1 Post by SkyPilot »

I had a new Dell Inspiron 1525/1526 delivered yesterday and was hoping to make Dingo the main OS, but I played it safe and used Xubuntu to wipe out the installed Vista. Then I loaded Puppy 4 and it works great - except for one thing. When I want to connect to my DSL service with the ethernet connection, Dingo tells me it doesn't see any active ethernet connections, so it brought out the "manual" process of loading individual modules and seeing if any of them worked. After going through all the modules this morning, none of them help Dingo to recognize the ethernet port (which an older Dell laptop noticed and used for a couple of years).

Looking at the specs in the owners manual, all it says about the "Network adapter" is that it is "10/100 Ethernet LAN on system board." The cpu is 2gig with 1 gig of RAM. Would someone help out by telling me what I'm doing wrong here?

SkyPilot

#2 Post by SkyPilot »

I should mention that Xubuntu finds the eth0, MiniMe (PcLinuxOs) does not and neither does Muppy, Lighthouse or Teenpup2008. Tigerpup didn't find it either, but it looked awesome.

auchan2008

#3 Post by auchan2008 »

Did you get the network card not detected problem solved? I have the exact same problem :( . None of the Knoppix (and Knoppix-related) live-cds work for me either. I am so happy with puppy with my old dell :D . If you have a work around, please let me know.

Thanks.

dushyantsisodia

dell studio 1535

#4 Post by dushyantsisodia »

hello
although not so new to linux using suse on desktop, but recently bought dell studio 1535
used puppy on usb on the laptop it was not able to detect network card it is broadcom netlinks gigabite ethernet tried all stunts downloaded linux drivers from broadcom site (rpm) used ndiwrap but it is not working any help.
on vista its working fine
kindly assist if you receive any solution

don largo

eth0 not recognized

#5 Post by don largo »

My Inspiron 1525 likes the sky2 driver (I think that was the name) It will say something about Marvel in the description which should tip you off anyway.

I had to try a few different versions of puppy to get one to work. Puppy 3.0.1 has that driver, but it must be older and won't work for me. So far, both lxde-pup411-k2.6.27.5-dillo-v01 (pretty darn fast on this machine) and puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey (official release puppy) have recognized the NIC without problem. Foolishly, I got the Dell wireless 1395 and that has only loaded on the official 4.12 puppy and not on the lxde-pup.

Now if I could only get through the proxy here at work...

Evil20071

#6 Post by Evil20071 »

Inspiron B130 - I use NDISWrapper. Download the driver package from Dell and run it in WINE to get the drivers if you only have linux.
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]