Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 18:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Problems with X in Puppy 4 that weren't in Puppy 3
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Muni Beduhin

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun 2008, 15:27    Post subject:  Problems with X in Puppy 4 that weren't in Puppy 3  

I have a Dell Inspiron with a damaged screen. It took a little massaging with the Xorg wizard, but I was able to get Puppy 3.01 working on it fine, with full 1024x768 resolution. I was impressed with Puppy and excited about the next release.

So I download 4.00 when it came out. However, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to start X properly on this particular Dell. Now, granted, it does have a damaged screen, but this shouldn't have been a show-stopper. Knoppix 5.1.1 runs on it fine, as does Morphix 0.5. Fluxbuntu 7.10 RC1 had issues with X, but when I ripped the xorg.conf out of Morphix and, with modifications, used it in Fluxbuntu, Fluxbuntu started X just fine. I ripped the xorg.conf file out of my old Puppy 3 install and used it in Puppy 4--to no avail. I rebooted from the Puppy 3 CD to see if I could redo the process I had used to get X working. Yes, I succeeded--Puppy 3 works great. I booted Puppy 4 on a Toshiba Satellite I have, and it recognized the screen and ran at full 1024x768 resolution. So it's not that my Puppy 4 CD is corrupted or anything of that sort.

Regular Xorg doesn't work at all, and Xvesa will only work in reduced resolution.

So, several questions:
~~> Have there been changes to X in Puppy 4 that could be causing this problem?
~~> Is it possible to upgrade Puppy 3 to 4 by installing the nice new/updated packages (except for X!) and therefore bypass the need for a direct install of Puppy 4?

This problem seems very arcane to me so I wouldn't be surprised if no one knows what is going wrong. That's OK. I've been in Linux long enough not to get upset when things break. Smile
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun 2008, 19:46    Post subject:  

Repeat the process, your xorg.conf out of Puppy3., try X, kill X, then grab /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It's big, so gzip it and save it somewhere then post it here as an attachment. That's if x isn't working, otherwise you can do it from within X.

If you have a usb pen drive, at say sda1:

# gzip /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
# cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt/sda1
# sync
# umount /mnt/sda1

Muni Beduhin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun 2008, 01:09    Post subject: Here is the log file  

Well, interesting developments. My hard drive slowly died this afternoon as I installed Morphix. I never got to boot into Morphix because it kept getting corrupted every time I booted...
Then the hard drive started chirping like a bird, and wouldn't boot at. Wow! Very fascinating. I had heard CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK before, but never a bird's song. Anyhow, so much for my old Puppy 3 install.
So after removing the hard drive and forgetting (at least for the time being) about Morphix, I booted Puppy 3, set up Xorg and saved all for xorg.conf variations to my thumbdrive. (They inclued in the attachment.) I then booted Puppy. I forgot to pass pfix=nox, but no matter, it started Xvesa and I just killed it. Then I ran xorgwizard to set it up to use Xorg. Then I brought xorg config files--all four--and pasted them into /etc/X11. Ran X and saved the resulting log file to my thumbdrive. Zipped it up with the config files and here's the result.
Hopefully the computer will continue to run long enough that I can actually install Puppy 4.... Smile
Xorg configs and log.tar.gz
Description  four different xorg.conf files from Puppy 3 and an Xorg.0.log file from Puppy 4 using those xorg.conf files (or I guess it only used the one, xorg.conf itself)
gz

Download 
Filename  Xorg configs and log.tar.gz 
Filesize  5.7 KB 
Downloaded  392 Time(s) 
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to: