KDE 3.5.10 runtime for Puppy 4.31

Core libraries and systems
sikpuppy

KDE 3.5.10 runtime for Puppy 4.31

#1 Post by sikpuppy »

This is the complete KDE 3.5.10 library package. It's not the desktop, it's just the required libraries to run KDE 3.x applications on Puppy. It includes QT3 so all that is necessary is to install the PET, or use the SFS package for a portable installation.

I compiled this for 2 reasons, one is that KDE 3.5 runs on older hardware, and the other is the software base, although slowly being neglected, is extremely mature. The 4.x base is only just coming into it's own now, and there are still loads of software that needs to be properly ported.

The other thing is that KDE 4 now uses a version of QT that exceeds the version that ships with Puppy. That means if I included the new QT4 it might break any applications already using QT4 in puppy. QT3 isn't included in Puppy, so there is less chance of something going pear shaped.

Ok, enough drivel, gimme the files!

As always with my upload account, you may have to change the useragent on your browser like this: http://www.users.on.net/~ejant/agent.html

Pick one:
kdelibs-3.5.10.pet 36Mb

or

kdelibs-3.5.10.sfs 36Mb

You could install both at once, but that would be silly.

Some apps:

K3B: DVD and CD burning suite.
KDissert: Mindmapping software.
KDEToys: Toys for the KDE desktop (a lot work with Puppy however ;)
KDE Web Development software.
KDE Software Development Kit
http://cid-da097326680e08e6.skydrive.li ... 1-i486.pet

Have the fun

James.
Last edited by sikpuppy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

abushcrafter

#2 Post by abushcrafter »

Now this could save me a lot of pain :). Can you face compiling kdewebdev and konqueror in a sfs please. Maybe kalzium too of which is a bonus. (To help me with me education (14 year old))

:cute/begging smiley:

sikpuppy

#3 Post by sikpuppy »

abushcrafter wrote:Now this could save me a lot of pain :). Can you face compiling kdewebdev and konqueror in a sfs please. Maybe kalzium too of which is a bonus. (To help me with me education (14 year old))

:cute/begging smiley:
Kalzium is going to be big, the chemical equation solver needs a rather large library. Are you sure you want this? Together with the required libraries for Konquerer this is easily going to exceed 100Mb.

I have done the webdev as a PET for now, it's in the first post.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

abushcrafter

#4 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks. Don't do kalzium for the moment But if you could face konqueror in a sfs with the kdewebdev stuff in the same sfs then yes please :D

BUT.........

k3b fails:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# k3b
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
quanta fails:
see "quanta 1st go.tar.gz"

klinkstatus fails:

sh-3.00# klinkstatus 
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libklinkstatuspart: No file named libklinkstatuspart.la found in paths.
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = klinkstatus path = <unknown> pid = 17395
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
sh-3.00# 

kimagemapeditor seamed to work:

sh-3.00# kimagemapeditor 
kdeui (KDockWidget): : KDockWidget::setHeader
kdeui (KDockWidget): KDockWidgetHeader::showUndockButton(true)
kdeui (KDockWidget): KDockWidgetHeader::showUndockButton(false)
kdeui (KDockWidget): KDockTabGroup::transientTo: NO
kdeui (KDockWidget): KDockTabGroup::transientTo: NO
kparts: KPart::slotWidgetDestroyed(), deleting part kimagemapeditor
kparts: Part::~Part 0x813f5e0
As for the now uninstalled toys they seamed to work.

Oh and if your not too tired can you put the menu entries in the right place :hopefull:.

This was done on puppy 4.3.1 with the kdelibs sfs.
Attachments
quanta 1st go.gz
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 1010 times
Last edited by abushcrafter on Tue 24 Nov 2009, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.

sikpuppy

#5 Post by sikpuppy »

Wow. Erm, can you zip the debug messages up and just attach them?
abushcrafter wrote:Thanks. Don't do kalzium for the moment But if you could face konqueror in a sfs with the kdewebdev stuff in the same sfs then yes please :D

BUT.........

k3b fails:

sh-3.00# k3b
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The menus I will fix up when everything else works. No point in wasting my time until then.

I'll see about Quanta tomorrow Australian time. As for K3b, whoops. Here's the missing part:

sikpuppy

#6 Post by sikpuppy »

Last edited by sikpuppy on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

abushcrafter

#7 Post by abushcrafter »

more fails and k3b loads GUI but moans.
Attachments
quanta_with_kdelibs-3.5.10-patch_AND_k3b_with_libdvdread-0.9.7-i486.pet_installed.tar.gz
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times

sikpuppy

#8 Post by sikpuppy »

abushcrafter wrote:more fails and k3b loads GUI but moans.
I will work on Quanta this morning.

Erm. K3B Moans? But does it work? Most of the gumf is debug stuff. There is still a file missing from K3B here it is:

sikpuppy

#9 Post by sikpuppy »

Ok. I managed to get almost exactly the same error output as you with the Quanta part of kdewebdev. I think I know what went wrong.

To run KDEWebDev you NEED to have either the kdelib PET OR the kdelibsfs AS WELL. If not it will crash every time.

I didn't need to use the patch I posted on a fresh install. This is what I did.

I installed kdewebdev on it's own and got a spew of errors, basically the same as you.

I started over with a new fresh install. I used the KDElibs SFS and rebooted. I installed the Webdev pet. I started Quanta. VOILA! Loads of debug messages, but the application started normally.

I then installed the k3b pet, and the CDRAO pet. K3B starts and although I didn't do anything like burning or whatever, it starts first time.

So, just check to make sure you have the kdelib sfs. Without that nothing in this thread has a chance of working:P

abushcrafter

#10 Post by abushcrafter »

I do though, have the sfs loaded. As for a freash install NOOOOOOOO I have had to do to many of theses :cry: Any way this install is nice and stable.

any way I will play around...
Last edited by abushcrafter on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

abushcrafter

#11 Post by abushcrafter »

this was the other k3b moan:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'

cdrdao-1.2.3-i486.pet fixed the cdrdao moan btw.

abushcrafter

#12 Post by abushcrafter »

what where the md5 sums?

abushcrafter

#13 Post by abushcrafter »

when I added back kdeedufull sfs to the load sfs on boot list,
which before the tests I had removed.

Quanta loaded but moaned about these apps of which I think is a path thing/mising:

Some applications required for full functionality are missing:

- Tidy [http://tidy.sourceforge.net] - HTML syntax checking will not be available;
- Kompare [http://bruggie.dnsalias.org/kompare] - comparing of files by content will not be available;
- GPG (OpenPGP) [http://www.gnupg.de] - preview browser configuration will not be available;
- KFileReplace [http://kfilereplace.kdewebdev.org] - search and replace in files will not be available;
- KXSLDbg [http://xsldbg.sourceforge.net/] - XSLT debugging will not be available;
- KImageMapEditor [http://www.nongnu.org/kimagemap/] - editing HTML image maps will not be available;
- KLinkStatus [http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12318] - link validity checking will not be available;
- Cervisia [http://www.kde.org/apps/cervisia] - CVS management plugin will not be available.

You may download the applications from the specified locations.

sikpuppy

#14 Post by sikpuppy »

abushcrafter wrote:when I added back kdeedufull sfs to the load sfs on boot list,
which before the tests I had removed.

Quanta loaded but moaned about these apps of which I think is a path thing/mising:

Some applications required for full functionality are missing:

# Start list of 3rd party apps
-snip-
#end long list of 3rd party apps

You may download the applications from the specified locations.
Yep. That's because they don't come with KDE.

I'll have a look later and see what I can do.

abushcrafter

#15 Post by abushcrafter »

thanks

abushcrafter

#16 Post by abushcrafter »

btw k3b moans again about libdvdread.so.3

sikpuppy

#17 Post by sikpuppy »

Okies, the KDE Software Development Kit seems to have a few of those missing applications. I posted a PET above. I will consolidate all this gumf into one package later, and I didn't include menu entries since it's now my bedtime :P

There is also Tidy, whatever that does. Tidy your HTML links or something. It's really old, 2004, so I dunno if it's of much use. It's very small (tiny in fact) but I forgot to bung it in the SDK when I made it.

But then again, all this is at least 18 months old anyway (as far as KDE development goes).

Still leaves a few things, maybe later.

I did post a PET for libdvdread.....

abushcrafter

#18 Post by abushcrafter »

sikpuppy wrote:Okies, the KDE Software Development Kit seems to have a few of those missing applications. I posted a PET above.
Thanks again
I will consolidate all this gumf into one package later, and I didn't include menu entries since it's now my bedtime :P
thanks again. sleep well, Theres a lot do still :mrgreen:

There is also Tidy, whatever that does. Tidy your HTML links or something. It's really old, 2004, so I dunno if it's of much use. It's very small (tiny in fact) but I forgot to bung it in the SDK when I made it.

But then again, all this is at least 18 months old anyway (as far as KDE development goes).

Still leaves a few things, maybe later.
Are... yes tidy, very usefull
I did post a PET for libdvdread.....
you did. EDIT: me bad confused :oops:

other blar blar:
Before I tried your packages I disabled my KDE Edu sfs which is from the forums because I did not want it to interfere with your packages. However It seamed that I needed it to run quanta.

So why was I Also asking for kalzium? I was hoping (depending on how the rest went) that you might be able to magically face compiling kalzium so less space was being used on my flash drive form apps I was not going to use but also because I thought that that kde edu sfs might muck things up(which it seams to have already :x ).
Last edited by abushcrafter on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

controlaltjeff

#19 Post by controlaltjeff »

Hi,
I've tried your package but didn't succeed.
Since I need quanta I did the following:

- started the pc with puppy 4.31 cd (so it's copied to ram)
- installed kdelibs.sfs
- rebooted
- installed kdewebdev.pet
- rebooted
- launched quanta
Quanta starts the splash screen but then crashes

Then I installed the kdeutils package but nothing changed.

Did I missed something?
Where can I look for debugging? Quanta crashes without any messsage, simply it doesn't open.

thank you

abushcrafter

#20 Post by abushcrafter »

I know. read me posts...