HowTo: Install Puppy 4.0 on 2goPC mini-notebook

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
JustGreg

HowTo: Install Puppy 4.0 on 2goPC mini-notebook

#1 Post by JustGreg »

The first thing is to get a copy of Puppy running on the 2goPC. I used an external USB CDR/W drive with a Puppy 4.0 CD to do the installation. I booted it up using pfix=ram. Once Puppy is up and running, the installation can start.

The next step in installing Puppy 4.0 on the 2goPC is to re-partition the hard drive. The re-partitioning of the hard drive will make EdUbuntu unusable.

I used fdisk (but, gparted or cfdisk can be used) to do the worked. One has to delete the existing hard disk partitions. I made four partitions equal in size partitions and of type 83 (Linux). I used size of 1216 tracks for each partition. The last partition was a bit smaller. One of the partitions has to be marked as the boot. Traditionally, the first one is used. Mark your choice and write the new information to the drive.

Once the partitions are defined and written to the disk, a file system needs to be created on each of the new partitions. The disk should not be mounted. I created ext2 file system on each using a console (rxvt) window and the command mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda# (# is 1,2,3, or 4). Use mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda# four times once for each partition value.

Now one can use the "Puppy universal installer" under Setup of the Start menu to get Puppy 4.0 on the drive. Select the internal (ide or sata) hard drive. You will see a window with the available hard drives. In the case of the 2goPC, there will be only one. Select it and you should see a list of the partitions on /dev/hda. You should pick the partition that is marked as boot able. A window will provide information on the partition and have buttons "OK" or "Cancel". Select OK. You need to make a decision on the type of installation that you want, either a full or frugal. A full installation takes over the entire partition for Puppy. A frugal only copies the Puppy special files. A frugal allows more than one operating system to share the partition. I choose to do a full installation. I prefer the full for the first installation because Grub Configuration is run automatically and reduces the manual configurations. Please note, I said reduces manual Grub Configuration. After the install is finished, I changed menu.lst (Grub
configuration) to this:

Code: Select all

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'.  Thu Jun  5 00:48:57 2008
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/hda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.hda.9548'.  You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.hda.9548 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
#Linux on /dev/hda1 (hd0,0)
  title Puppy 4.00 on (hd0,0)or /dev/hda1
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd root=/dev/hda1
# end section
# Boot SD card reader
  title SD or USB smaller than 1 GB
  rootnoverify (fd0)
  chainloader +1
  title SD or USB 1 GB or larger
  root (hd1,0)
  makeactive
  chainloader +1
# end of SD section
title -     For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title -     For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)
# Lines below are from Grub as example
# Just un-comment them and change drive as necessary
# Linux bootable partition config begins
#  title Linux (on /dev/hda2)
#  root (hd0,1)
#  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
After the Grub configuration is complete, it is time to reboot and test the installation. My installation start up without a hitch. One then sets up the keyboard to your preference. For the video setup, I recommend using xorg. The xorg setups both mouse and screen. It is bigger, but 2goPC with 512 Megabyte memory and hard drive, there is room for it.

I encountered one problem with xorg. Xorg did not list the standard 800 by 480 resolution for the screen. I suggest selecting 800 by 600. Xwindows came up and checking with Hardinfo, I found the resolution set to 800 by 480. I also checked xorg.conf and found the screen parameter was set to 800 by 480.

If the above is not detailed enough for you, the CatDude has posted a very good How To called "How to a full install of Puppy to an empty HDD" and located at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29653

Puppy is now installed and ready for you setup it as you like. I found two pets upgrades that one should install.

The first pet corrects a problem with the Puppy Package Manager (petget). With the 800 by 480 screen, petget fills the screen and one can only install a pet for the list. The pet removal is not accessible. The "alt left click mouse move" does not seem to work. Gray of the Puppy forum provides a petget size fix for Puppy 4.00. It is located at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29586
After installing his pet file, petget works normally and can be re-sized.
Thank you, Gray.

The second file is from forum member, rerwin. It is a tar.gz file that provides a modified keyboard/mouse wizard that allows one to set the "tap on the touch pad is a mouse click". Some people like this shortcut, others (like myself) find if it is enable all sort of unwanted actions are started. This is really a personal preference. I thank rerwin for providing the modified files for the keyboard/mouse wizard and xorg wizard. The tgz file is located here:
]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&start=30

For my use,I found I only need the keyboard/mouse wizard (input-wizard). To install the input wizard, one opens the tgz file with Xarchieve and extracts the file to a working directory. Using the Rox file manager in the /usr/sbin directory, one first needs to rename the original input-wizard to something like "input-wizard.org". This allows one to easily restore the system back if new input-wizard has a problem. The final step is to move the new "input-wizard" file from extraction directory to /usr/sbin using the Rox file manager.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

raffy

USB install

#2 Post by raffy »

Thanks for the install tutorial, Greg.

Some users might be curious about first installing to USB keydrive and trying Puppy before doing a full install. For this they download the Puppy 4.0 ISO*, burn it to CD and use it to boot a "normal" desktop PC. Then they run Puppy's Universal Installer to install Puppy to USB keydrive. Installation is straightforward. (If booting with USB keydrive fails, they can return to the desktop PC, reboot it with Puppy 4.0 CD, check the USB's first partition with GParted and "Manage Flags" -> tick the "boot" checkbox.)

The USB keydrive should be useful for booting the 2GoPC. The "select boot device" key to be pressed at boot time should be F11 (this is how it's done in the Classmate PC).

Hope that helps.
-----------------------
* Checksum for verifying good download of the ISO = 7bce88db3067c3200247ae81d13d4e7f.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

JustGreg

#3 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Raffy for the additional information. The process you describe can also be used for a SD card. To boot the 2goPC using a SD card or USB keydrive, one has to press the F11 key at the boot screen. The 2goPC comes from the manufacture configured to not shown boot information/screens. So, one has to use the F11 key to get the boot device selection screen.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much