Can I boot off a PNY usb pendrive?

Booting, installing, newbie
linuxhippy

Can I boot off a PNY usb pendrive?

#1 Post by linuxhippy »

I'm starting to see more live Linux distros that are bootable off USB sticks. I have 2 USB sticks or memory drives. The first is a small Lexar Jumpdrive that's only 128 MB. I put Puppy on it and it boots fine. I wanted to use my second USB stick (a PNY 1 GB attache) for a larger USB distro-possibly Chubby Puppy. Problem is that I cannot get it to boot even with Puppy using the same setup procedure I did on the Lexar (boot off the Puppy 1.0.5 cd and run setup for make a puppy usb). I called PNY and they said that their USB stick was not made to be bootable, though third party software may be able to do this.

I googled around and could not find a method to get this thing to boot. Has anybody successfully gotten a PNY attache to boot? If so, how?
Marty

raffy

The answer?

#2 Post by raffy »

You asked a question, but it could be the answer to this painful thread in this forum.

And the possible answer is:
I have 2 USB sticks or memory drives. The first is a small Lexar Jumpdrive that's only 128 MB. I put Puppy on it and it boots fine. I wanted to use my second USB stick (a PNY 1 GB attache) for a larger USB distro-possibly Chubby Puppy. Problem is that I cannot get it to boot even with Puppy using the same setup procedure I did on the Lexar (boot off the Puppy 1.0.5 cd and run setup for make a puppy usb). I called PNY and they said that their USB stick was not made to be bootable
Some people here use a floppy boot disk to use an unbootable USB stick (like if the motherboard cant boot from USB). Try searching for "USB and floppy"...

Thanks a lot for your info!