Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 16:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Macromedia Flash plugin doesn't work with FVWM95 in 1.0.5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
spark

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 13:44    Post_subject:  Macromedia Flash plugin doesn't work with FVWM95 in 1.0.5  

I'm not sure if this should be considered to be a "bug" since 'fvwm95' is no longer the default window manager. Anyway, after installing 1.0.5-Mozilla with the default window manager ('jwm') I was able to visit web sites that required the Macromedia Flash plugin.

However, once I installed 'fvwm95' using "PupGet", web sites requiring the Macromedia Flash plugin were no longer visible?

Puppy 1.0.4 did not have this problem, but of course 'fvwm95' was the default window manager in that version.
spark

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct 2005, 15:12    Post_subject:  

A followup:

An important thing I forgot in my first post is that I am running MU's "Xorg" version of Puppy 1.0.5 (and a beautiful thing it is). So, I performed a re-installation of 1.0.5, and instead of loading Xorg first (using Xvesa instead), I loaded "FVWM95", and there were no problems like those descibed in my first post. That is, I could view web sites that required a Macromedia Flash plugin using either JWM or FVWM95.

Although it shouldn't affect the web browser, when time permits I will now re-install Xorg to see if I can reproduce the problem. However, since "Xorg" is not an integral part of Puppy (I wish that it was), I guess this is not a "bug".
spark

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2005, 10:43    Post_subject:  

Yeah, it has been quite a while, but I didn't like leaving a "loose end". I finally got back to looking at this problem. I determined that the problem is related to the use of Xorg, but apparently my specific use. That is, with a generic "xorg.conf" file I was able to view web sites that required a Macromedia Flash plugin with either JWM or FVWM95.

Something in my "xorg.conf" file is causing the problem, but I doubt if I will find the time to find out just what it is. I have a bit more complicated set up using "xinerama", enabling "DPMS", etc.

Anyway, after an extensive search of the web I found a "blurb" that suggested putting the following statement in the file that started up Mozilla (which in PL 1.0.5 is ‘/usr/local/bin/mozstart’):

‘export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1’

I am not sure exactly what this does, but it works!

I doubt that this will be very useful to the Puppy community at large, but maybe some user will experience the same problem that I had, and the following will provide at least one possible solution.

So, the file was modified as shown below:

#!/bin/sh

#Puppy does not want more than one instance of Moz running.

COMTAIL="$@"

URLPREFIX="`echo "$COMTAIL" | grep --extended-regexp "http://|ftp://|https://|file://|-mail|-edit|-addressbook|-calendar|-remote"`"
if [ "$URLPREFIX" = "" ];then
[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] || COMTAIL="file://${COMTAIL}"
fi

ps | grep "mozilla\-bin" > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ];then #=0 if found.
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
exec /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin -a mozilla -remote "openURL($COMTAIL,new-tab)"
else
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
exec /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin $COMTAIL
fi
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum