Firefox 3.6, 3.5.6 and Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Firefox 1.5.0.12

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Makoto

#151 Post by Makoto »

Which version of Puppy are you using? I think the FF 3.6 pet listed in the first post will only install on Puppy 4.3 or higher (or any Puppy based on 4.3/.1). I could be wrong, though - that's the way it worked, for me.

The .pets redirect the defaultbrowser link to Firefox, so you should be able to click on the 'browse' icon on the desktop and have Firefox load. If that doesn't work, and you do indeed have the .pet installed, open a terminal window ('console' on the desktop, if you prefer), and try typing

firefox

...and press Enter, and see if any error messages appear.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

nooby

#152 Post by nooby »

I have tested the Firefox 3.6.pet on several puppies and worked well on all of them except Boxpup.

Which I installed it on that one it did say that it was missing many many dependencies but it works good enough that I use it just now when writing this.

Does any of you know what will not work due to these missing ones dependencies?

Edit

Yes I should have made a copy of that text but I have no knowledge of how one does such copies.
Maybe Boxpup are made on an older kernel and puppy variation?

If the log files in tmp get saved with each pup then maybe the error message are still there?

Or if it is important then I can start all over and report the error message?
Last edited by nooby on Sun 28 Feb 2010, 15:02, edited 2 times in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Aitch

#153 Post by Aitch »

nooby wrote:....which says that many man dependencies is missing
Man is the information pages, so if you are correct, and it is man, not main, then I think you are maybe only missing F1 help files, or plain FF man pages

....but you would need to post the missing dependency message to be sure

Aitch :)

nooby

#154 Post by nooby »

Axiys wrote:Hi! I'm new to puppy, and I can't install FireFox 3.6, It won't open it like an application, any help?
I guess you are talking about the downloadable files direct from Mozilla?

The Pets that this thread points to would always give messages and not refuse to try to get installed.

Tell which puppy you have too

Aitch

I had an unfortunate "Typo" there. many man
should be many many

Sorry.

I don't know how to make a copy of error messages.

Is it still there in some log so I can copy it now if you describe how one do that? the list was very long so I will not do it word for word.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

FrPaulB

#155 Post by FrPaulB »

I am using Puppy 4.3.1. I can successfully install FF 3.6 using the PET. But I'd like the British English version. (Helps with spell-check in Google Docs). I can download a compressed file from the Firefox site, but I don't know how to install it. could I uncompress it over the already installed FF 3.6?

ttuuxxx

#156 Post by ttuuxxx »

FrPaulB wrote:I am using Puppy 4.3.1. I can successfully install FF 3.6 using the PET. But I'd like the British English version. (Helps with spell-check in Google Docs). I can download a compressed file from the Firefox site, but I don't know how to install it. could I uncompress it over the already installed FF 3.6?
yes you can, basically find where the firefox pet installs to, probably something like /usr/lib/firefox or on 2.14x,dpup its /lib/firefox open the folder and highlite everything, and right click delete
then extract your firefox uk version anywhere and open the folder and highlite everything and drag it into the old firefox folder and click move
that should be it.

or if the the 2 folders are named firefox then just delete the old one and drag the new uk one into that directory

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

4-stroke

#157 Post by 4-stroke »

ttuuxxx wrote:probably something like /usr/lib/firefox or on 2.14x,dpup its /lib/firefox
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hi ... index.html

FrPaulB

#158 Post by FrPaulB »

Yes, that worked. Install FF 3.6 using the PET, delete the Firefox directory from /usr/share then expend the UK English version to /usr/share

FrPaulB

#159 Post by FrPaulB »

It's also true that you can simply install FF 3.6 using the .PET and add a UK English dictionary using the dialogue boxes in FF, probably an easier route!

strategic_thinker

Firefox 3.6 pet

#160 Post by strategic_thinker »

Hi,

I am trying to download the Firefox 3.6 pet from here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30434

But, I am being asked for a username and password. What do I enter ?

The post does not seem to indicate it.

Thanks.

James C

#161 Post by James C »

username ......... puppy
password ......... linux

xman

#162 Post by xman »

Can't find 3.6.9?

There were problems on newest Firefox updates which patched 11 critical vulnerabilities, and Mozilla stopped providing security updates to Firefox users as it investigates a bug that caused computers to crash last week. “Mozilla began receiving a large number of crash reports after releasing Firefox 3.5.12 and 3.6.9 last week. The reports have come from machines on all three platforms that Firefox supports, with the majority of them occurring during browser startup.

xman

#163 Post by xman »

Yes, somebody got a bad pair of mittens. So, I’m not surprised that Mozilla has released Firefox 3.6.10 shortly after 3.6.9.

charnisingh

Firefox 3.6.10

#164 Post by charnisingh »

Hi,

I have made pet as well as sfs of firefox 3.6.10 in puppy 432, if anyone is

interested, I will find a way to upload here. The pet and SFS should work

in puppy-4.

charnisingh

duckrow

#165 Post by duckrow »

Will it work with puppy 3.01? If so,yes please

Makoto

#166 Post by Makoto »

...or install the 3.6 .pet from the first post in this thread (on page one), and select Check for Updates... from the Help menu. Firefox will offer to update you to the latest version.

duckrow: I couldn't tell you. I've seen a fair number of .pets created for Puppy 4.3 that wouldn't install in earlier versions of Puppy. I don't know whether that means the programs inside the .pets would fail to run on earlier Puppies as well, though.

You could download Wolf Pup's pets and see if they install, though most of those pets didn't seem to want to start the install process for me when I was using Puppy 4.2.1.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

novax

#167 Post by novax »

First of all, greetings to the community from a new member: this is my first post here.
Makoto wrote:...or install the 3.6 .pet from the first post in this thread (on page one)
I just tried to download the 3.6 .pet using the link in the first post, but the link doesn't work: I get always the "404 Not Found" error.
Is it a temporary trouble?

Thanks

EDIT
I found this web page and downloaded and installed firefox-3.6.9.pet
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I am not able to start it neither from Menu > Internet > Firefox nor clicking on the "browse" desktop icon.
Using the terminal I get:

Code: Select all

# firefox

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/firefox/program/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What should I do?

Makoto

#168 Post by Makoto »

For some reason, the server directory containing all of Wolf Pup's pets, including those on the first post of this topic, appears to have been removed. :(

Yeah, you need to have dbus installed... some Firefox/Seamonkey pets you'll find don't install it for you. You might try using the search at http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html to search the forum for one of the dbus .pets posted ("dbus" and "libdbus" would probably be good starting searches). I would have run a search, myself, but I'm about to go run some errands. :oops:

novax

#169 Post by novax »

Thanks Makoto

I'll try and report :)

PS: I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 but I forgot to tell it.

novax

#170 Post by novax »

Hi

Your suggestion worked fine.
I found this post and I downloaded and copied the libraries in /usr/lib/

Now Firefox works, thanks. :)