How I compiled my first .pet!

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
davidA

How I compiled my first .pet!

#1 Post by davidA »

I am slowly learning and getting a handle on how puppy works (thanks to all the good info here - and all the helpful folk)

Today I downloaded and installed the devx_400.sfs file to my hard drive and compiled a simple App (a text editor called Nano) with no problems.

If you have other than a hard drive install the steps are a little different (they are easier as a matter of fact) and this is explained in the links.

I downloaded the devx file for 'dingo' (note the '400' in the file name) if you are using a different version of puppy you should be able to locate the devx file for your version fairly easily. Here is a link to the devx_400.sfs file that I used.

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... _modules-4

Here is a link to where you can download the source code for Nano. If you are looking to compile your first App, Nano is a good place to start as it is an easy one to build that you likely won't experience difficulties with.

http://www.nano-editor.org/

Here is the link to the developer site I used, that explains how to set up your machine to compile applications.

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

As I have done a hard drive install, I had to follow the extra instructions in order to get the compiler working properly. Although they look a little intimidating, if you follow them in order (one by one) I doubt that you will experience any difficulties.

Afterwards I read the instructions (on the developer site) about how to create a pet file and compiled again.

Below is a link to the instructions I followed, that show you how to make a pet package.

http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm

I tested the pet file on my own machine and afterwards installed with no problems (although Nano was installed already in a different place)

Thanks everyone for all the help. I am amazed at how 'unbuggy' Puppy is. Puppy Linux is great :)

Cheers

David
Last edited by davidA on Fri 20 Jun 2008, 14:44, edited 5 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

That's great! Thanks!

A link to the developer site where you found the instructions on how to create a .pet would make your account ever so much more useful to others who might like to try making their own .pets.
You can edit your post, to add such a link. :)

davidA

#3 Post by davidA »

Flash wrote:A link to the developer site where you found the instructions on how to create a .pet would make your account ever so much more useful to others who might like to try making their own .pets.
You can edit your post, to add such a link. :)
Thanks Flash: I have gone into a little more detail on how I built my first puppy application (and made a pet file out of it) If you think it prudent please consider moving this thread to the beginners forum.