Puppy Gamers Unite!

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
steve_s

Puppy Gamers Unite!

#1 Post by steve_s »

Let it be known: I am not much of a gamer at all.

But my sons love the stuff...

So, I've happened to be able to set up a pretty good system that I am putting a Puppy gaming format on.

The system spec's: crosshair motherboard, AMD 64 processor, ATI X1600 Radeon PCI express card. Puppy is installed on the hard drive, full install.

I put together a gamers version of Puppy 4.0, pumping the remaster up to 580MB, including games like Tremulous, Battle of Wesnoth, Supertux, ppracer and such (some card games also). I'm using advise from this thread for the games I've got so far.

Used advise from here about setting up the graphics card, but it was pretty basic.

But what I would love to know from those with higher end systems that like their games: is there anything I'm missing?

Would love advise on games that you love...

Would love advise on configuring the video card...

Or any other advise regarding this type of system that you would love to share; successes you have with Puppy games, other threads that you like, whatever.

I'm still getting it set up (including internet) so I figured now would be the time to get this thread started...please help the cause and maybe this can be a good thread to give out some good gaming system advise.

Edit: oh, I should mention that the boys like games like Shaiya, so any advise on possible Wine config, or other games in that category would be helpful. They like the other games I've mentioned thus far, but any advise in this category would be appreciated...

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

Have you looked at Mark's "Hurt Me Plenty" (named after a difficulty setting in Doom)? It is based on Muppy and sets up 3D on its own (you wouldn't have to worry about it). It includes a bunch of good iD games (Doom, Doom 2, Quake 2, etc.) as well as stuff like Tuxracer and chess. I think it may have Wine in it already, but I won't swear to it.

It seems like that might be a good base for you to start with instead of regular Puppy. Even if you're already far enough along that you don't want to start over, you should download it to get an idea of some games to add to your setup. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28179

Although you have to pay for them (and thus would have to install later instead of including them in any Puplet you make), both Neverwinter Nights and Doom 3 have Linux clients. I know that most games by Blizzard will run under Wine (Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft, etc.).

I would also include some emulators. There are some good Super Nintendo and Playstation 1 emulators for Linux.

Some old-school games like Rogue and Nethack would be good inclusions as well.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Hurt me plenty:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28179
You also might need this patch for nvidiacards:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 144#210144

As doomsday/quake2 make up most of the size, they also could be deleted from the mgamesa.sfs.
Then you could add other games instead.

I finish serverstuff this week,then drive back to southern germany.
I then might create a "Muppy-games" based on Muppy-Mini.
It would include all libs and drivers from Muppy0083e.
The games themselves would be in a seperate sfs for best modularity.
So an updated, more modular version of hurt-me-plenty.

This also would solve the legal issues concerning violence in germany.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

Those both sound great...I'll check into all of that. Great posts, MU and SirDuncan.

Um, well, I just went with 4.0 'cause it's a little more recent and went from there. But I'm not averse to going with a different puplet at all, so I may have to look into hurt me plenty. It is an ATI card so will I have any issues with drivers (I know that NVvidia gets used more often)?

...and I'm not as concerned about setting up a puplet of my own, although that is a possibility. First it's "get the computer set up for the boys" ya know? Then maybe I'll refine the remaster and release it.

But I'll check out MU's puplet, especially if it has better luck with my internet issue and configures well with the video card...

MU

#5 Post by MU »

hurtmeplenty is based on an alpha-version of Muppy 008.
The drivers are not up to date.
If you have an OLD Ati-card (up to Radeon 9250), the current Muppy 0083E might work much better, as it includes Display-drivers from Ati in addition to the free ones.

Also note this post on libGL, that gave me better results with the free drivers on an Ati Radeon 9250:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28031

You may get best results like this:
install Muppy0083E MINI + the addons.sfs.
Then use in this system the mgamesa_083.sfs from Hurtmeplenty.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

steve_s

#6 Post by steve_s »

MU wrote:hurtmeplenty is based on an alpha-version of Muppy 008.
The drivers are not up to date.
If you have an OLD Ati-card (up to Radeon 9250), the current Muppy 0083E might work much better, as it includes Display-drivers from Ati in addition to the free ones.

Also note this post on libGL, that gave me better results with the free drivers on an Ati Radeon 9250:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28031

You may get best results like this:
install Muppy0083E MINI + the addons.sfs.
Then use in this system the mgamesa_083.sfs from Hurtmeplenty.

Mark
Sorry, but can you please give more specifics on how to install the .sfs files? I understand installing Muppy0083E if it installs as easily as 4.0, but I don't know how to install the .sfs's...please advise.

MU

#7 Post by MU »

you download the 2 isos (Mini and hurtmeplenty), and burn a CD from the MINI.
Then you boot MINI from CD and then reboot it.
Now it offers to create the savefile.
On the same drive, where the savefile was created, you download addons.sfs.
http://muppy-linux.de/EN/index.htm

Then you can add it in the Menu SYSTEM-BOOTMANAGER.
Now you click on the downloaded hurt-me-plenty.iso.
This will mount it.
In the mounted folder, you will see mgamesa_083.sfs.
Copy this one, too,on the partition with your savefile.
Also add this one in the bootmanager.

After a reboot, you should have the 3D drivers running and the games in the menu.
Just to install the ATI-drivers, more action would be required.
But we can do this later, once you have the rest up and running :)
Mark
Last edited by MU on Thu 03 Jul 2008, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

steve_s

#8 Post by steve_s »

MU wrote:you download and burn the 2 isos (Mini and hurtmeplenty).
Then you boot MINI from CD and then reboot it.
Now it offers to create the savefile.
On the same drive, where the savefile was created, you download addons.sfs.

Then you can add it in the Menu SYSTEM-BOOTMANAGER.
Now you click on the downloaded hurt-me-plenty.iso.
This will mount it.
In the mounted folder, you will see mgamesa_083.sfs.
Copy this one, too,on the partition with your savefile.
Also add this one in the bootmanager.

After a reboot, you should have the 3D drivers running and the games in the menu.
Just to install the ATI-drivers, more action would be required.
But we can do this later, once you have the rest up and running :)
Mark
Thanks, Mark...terribly appreciated.

Can I do this with a full install as well? Just select from the menu to have those booted as well? I'm looking to run this as an install...

If that is not possible, then I'll go this route that you recomended; seems pretty straight-forward.

Download site for these? I'm having trouble locating 8.3...

MU

#9 Post by MU »

English version:

the files listed there are version 0083E.

A full installation cannot use SFs files easily.
This would require some tricks, I do not recommend full installations except on very very old low-memory computers.

You can use a frugal installation instead (recommended for modern computers, as they are used to play 3D games like Tuxracer), that works fine with SFS files.
It can be done with the universal installer, and grubinstall, if there is no bootmanager yet.
They are in the System and Setup menus.

I also recommend to create a swap partition of 256 MB.
Instructions can be found on the page mentioned above.

Mark

steve_s

#10 Post by steve_s »

MU wrote:...

Mark
Excellent! You ROCK! Hopefully I'll be posting back with some screenshots...thanks!

And if there are any further updates on gaming-ish systems, please keep us updated.

steve_s

#11 Post by steve_s »

All right! With the help of Master Mark and Sir Duncan, we are up and running with a frugal install, just as MU suggested, adding the additional .sfs files and everything. And, if you've seen my other internet thread that I mentioned on my first post, you will now notice that I have internet going.

Now, as you mentioned, MU, how do we get the ATI drivers going so that we can get all the graphical stuff cooking?

Oh, and I've got 719 MB left of ram...how can I add new games? Will that be enough to just simply install games like tremulous (have to reinstall that now in this distro as well as the one I had)? Or are there other ways to install games via this type of install?

I have a total of 2 gigs of memory, so am I doing this right or do you have other suggestions? I've never run an entire OS out of ram; Puppy is very unique in that, amazingly so.

Oh, for fun, here is a screenshot...a lot going on with the default settup, so I tried to get a wallpaper that didn't add too much to the chaos, but was still appropriate for the boys' gaming computer...
Attachments
scrnsht-gears-of-war.jpg
(116.32 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times

steve_s

#12 Post by steve_s »

MU: didn't know if I should have or not, but installed xorg_xorg_full 7.3, then libGL from this thread, then info from this thread, but no dice. I realize they were probably for different cards and I'm getting ahead of myself, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Is there something else I should install? Configuring I should do?

***Edit: ok, after a long back and forth about trying to figure out the ATI x1600 card, I'll spare you the mystery: I end up switching to an nVidia Geforce 6200. ATI just doesn't provide 3d driver support for this version of Puppy..ugh. However: skip past that if you want to find out more about how the gaming system turned out.
Last edited by steve_s on Fri 25 Jul 2008, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

ftp

#13 Post by raffy »

Internet cafe owners tell me that the only things holding them back from the use of Linux are
- the availability of games
- the availability of Yahoo Messenger (with audio/video)

It seems like they are about to have no more excuses. :)

Should there be an ISO that you want to share, you can try this:

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

steve_s

Re: ftp

#14 Post by steve_s »

raffy wrote:Internet cafe owners tell me that the only things holding them back from the use of Linux are
- the availability of games
- the availability of Yahoo Messenger (with audio/video)

It seems like they are about to have no more excuses. :)

Should there be an ISO that you want to share, you can try this:

ftp://puppy:puppylinux@ftp.servage.net
...thanks, Raffy...will do! Hurt me Plenty has it set up for the games on Linux, it seems, but if this thread produces anything close to a cool gaming system, I'll be more than happy to iso-it-up for everyone. 8)

Right now I gotta get this video card working right, and getting the ati drivers going...any advice would be appreciated.

steve_s

#15 Post by steve_s »

All right, all you ATI driver people: please speak up!

I don't know how to get 3d graphics going...items I see now are "DRI not active" telling me 3d graphics will run slow.

It seems, however, I did get the correct ATI driver installed. I went to here, downloaded the installer to the hard drive (same area where "home" is) and ran it from there.

Reboot.

then via command line, as the vague instructions recomended, I ran aticonfig --intiital -f to set up the ati config area (whatever that is).

I now have 24 bit color it seems (didn't have that before) but no 3d yet.

Please advise...

steve_s

#16 Post by steve_s »

Well, I seem to have come full circle on this...I installed it myself, didn't like that, installed somethings that didn't work, then finally came back to the pet file that had been made for this radeon driver, a la kirk:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29727&sid=a811aae7860077c40261fecd0a2361f3

(thanks to kirk for creating this one...)

Edit: since then, i've discovered the correct driver for my kernel, also due to kirk's diligence, and installed it.

Edit: also, when I run

Code: Select all

fireglcontrolpanel
which is the same as clicking on the ATI Control in the menu, I get this error:

fireglcontrolpanel: xcb_io.c:357: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.
But I still don't have any 3d elements at this point. Everything looks good, but I can't really get the games going without the 3d (except REALLY slow) .

So, how can I get that set up?

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

Shot in the dark: do you have 'DRI' enabled in the xorg.conf file? Should be a line for it in the modules section.

If so, check the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any errors.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

Pizzasgood wrote:Shot in the dark: do you have 'DRI' enabled in the xorg.conf file? Should be a line for it in the modules section.

If so, check the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any errors.
Nice catch, Pizzasgood, you may be onto something.

DRI is enabled.

however, I checked the log file and saw this...you know this stuff better than me, is this the error you are talking about and, if so, what can be done about it?

drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports PCI:1:0:0
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __glXFindDRIScreen)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libGLcore.so
(II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 7.2.0, module version = 1.0.0
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0
(WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"
(--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/input/mice"

steve_s

#19 Post by steve_s »

All right, what about switching to the Linux radeon driver? Can someone tell me how to give that a try?

The reason why is that I saw this at this site:

Unfortunately, the version 8.41.7 of fglrx for 10.3 is not recommended by AMD for any non-HD cards, and is known to be broken on AGP 4th and 5th generation radeons (ie. the AGP x700, x1300, x1600, etc.) 

Before using the drivers below, try running your 3D application using open source drivers: radeon.
...so, switch to the Radeon driver? If so, how? If not, what do you recomend?

Edit: well, just realized they are talking about AGP cards, and mine is a PCI express card, so not the same.

Still would love help figuring out what that error message is all about and how to fix it?

steve_s

#20 Post by steve_s »

I know that it is poor form to answer myself, but I am impatient to figure this out, so I'll just keep muddling along. If anyone feels that they can tell me what I should do to fix this, I would LOVE the input.

Okay, I google the error code (just copied it and searched directly).

Came across this site that had exactly the same problem on an Ubuntu install with only a slightly different card. They recomended disabling aiglx.

This siteexplains how to disable aiglx. In fact, it even mentioned that disabling aiglx is helpful in resolving the exact issue that I seem to have.

I'm going to do that tonight and post back.