Desktop icons disappearing (1.0.5) - system hanging...

Using applications, configuring, problems
goncal

Desktop icons disappearing (1.0.5) - system hanging...

#1 Post by goncal »

Hi all

I came across my first Puppy problem - on four occasions my desktop icons just disappeared - and on two of those, my PC just hanged! Amazing and annoying I thought, as I felt Puppy would never give me those problems after leaving Windoze behind :?

ctrl alt backspace did the trick once but the other times the icons re-disappeared again.

on those occasions I seem to remember I had been running the small FTP shipped with Puppy 1.0.5.

I had also been uploading a 34MB photo on /var/ftp (I seem to remember that is the std directory for the server, am writing on a windoze98 machine right now)

on one of those occasions when going back to the prompt, endless lines of the sort digits - gpf - digits filled the screen.

I tried everything - ctrl alt f2 to start xwin - to no good use.

Anyone had this sort of problem?

Thanks

Gon

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Please search the forum.

I remember that there was a post of ROX loosing the icons and freezing the computer when it was creating thumb images in a directory with too many images.

It appears to be a bug in ROX (maybe an unchecked memory overflow).

Your problem seems to be very similar. I did not followed that thread so I don't know if there was any resolution other than turning off thumb images in ROX.

I hope this helps.

#3 Post by Guest »

Rarsa

Thanks again, I am sure it will work. Cheers

Gon

kcin

#4 Post by kcin »

rarsa wrote:
I remember that there was a post of ROX loosing the icons and freezing the computer when it was creating thumb images in a directory with too many images.

It appears to be a bug in ROX (maybe an unchecked memory overflow).

Your problem seems to be very similar. I did not followed that thread so I don't know if there was any resolution other than turning off thumb images in ROX.

I hope this helps.
I also had this happen once. In my case, I was adjusting the Pinboard Options in ROX at the time, to fix the foreground colors of the icon titles to show up better against the wallpaper background, next thing I knew, the icons all disappeared. Restarting icewm cleared it, but I am also inclined to think this is a ROX issue.

Regards,

kcin

goncal

#5 Post by goncal »

Have tried it, seems to work, system seems even to run lighter... thanks again!

cheers G :D