Updated Puppy/Devon_IT VIA C3 based thin client available

News, happenings
sverdy

Updated Puppy/Devon_IT VIA C3 based thin client available

#1 Post by sverdy »

Devon IT has been selling VIA based small form factor Puppy PCs to readers of this forum for a few months. These Puppy-based PCs are based on our 6010 thin clients. We've had a very positive feedback from the readers who have purchased this unit, and we'd like to announce a new and improved version.

The new version is based on our 6010B terminal which has a faster processor: VIA C3 800Mhz. You can get more info at http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php
It is upgraded to 256MB of RAM, and runs the latest version of Puppy OS (1.05 at the date of posting). We can sell these at US$230 plus shipping to readers of this forum. Shipping fee is $10 for the US. We include a US keyboard, a mouse and a power cord.

We cannot offer support on the OS but the terminals come with our 3 years warranty. We are not advertising these on our site so if you send an email, please make sure you refer to the "Puppy"! Also, we are donating $10 of each Puppy Thin Client sold through this forum to Barry - no strings attached - to help foster his development efforts.

We will also include - free of charge - one of our popular NTAVO Penguins with each terminal.

Since this is a prototype, the configuration and price may change accordingly and I will keep you apprised as it evolves.

If you have any questions on buying, send an email to info@devonit.com or send me a private message. If you have questions that would be of interest to the forum, feel free to post them here and I will answer as soon as I can.

Finally we encourage our users to send us feedback at puppy@devonit.com

Thanks!
Stephane, Devon IT

Ted Dog

Stephane, No replies to emails sent

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

I've sent an email to you and info a week apart no reply to either.
Ted

Edit: just checked my email Paul contacted me back :oops:
Well, I called. Allan in sales voicemail, then new option four. all I got was dead air... :cry:

Everything got cleared up, shipping early next week. :P

cplater

#3 Post by cplater »

Drat! :roll: I just ordered two of previous ones last week. They're not here yet so maybe I'll get the upgraded ones.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

The Puppy Linux Foundation of which I am one acting publicity "officer" welcomes all hardware based Puppys.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FoundationPuppy

What we can offer:

1. A free OS (It is based on Free Linux, It is Free to download, Free it remains)
2. Integration. We want Puppy in hardware (well I do). If you wish to discuss anything post on this forum.
3. Fun. Yes I am sorry but we are seriously more fun than Redhat (sorry Redhat).
4. We are friskier

PS - Well done on offering the free Tux - that would seem to be the clincher . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 31 Oct 2005, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

#5 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote:Some of you might find this article about Linux in hardware interesting.
http://tinyurl.com/cm5qx
Lobster, I tried your link but only got '404 Not Found' :(

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

sverdy:
I can't find if these have USB 1.1 or 2.0 type of USB ports and the type (DDR?) of RAM. Do you have some more information? Thanks
Dan

sverdy

additional specifications

#8 Post by sverdy »

Dan,

The USB ports are USB 1.1. The exact memory type is PC SDRAM 133Mhz.

Regards,
Stephane

dvw86

#9 Post by dvw86 »

Thank you.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Came across this
http://www.technologyreview.com/article ... ellweg.asp

and wondered what the time from switch on to Puppy desktop is?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ted_Dog

New puppy lost in the grass

#11 Post by Ted_Dog »

I whent to the front gate to get my mail, and in a box half hidden in the tall grass was a brand new puppy. Thanks NTA (playing with her now)

cplater

#12 Post by cplater »

Lobster wrote:Came across this
http://www.technologyreview.com/article ... ellweg.asp

and wondered what the time from switch on to Puppy desktop is?
Mine boots up in about 37 seconds. A few more if no ethernet connected.

C. Plater

NewbornPupGuest

Viability of thin-client as home PC?

#13 Post by NewbornPupGuest »

Hi--am enjoying my newborn Puppy Linux and am thinking about buying the thin-client or the Chubby Puppy PC. The lightness of the thin-client intrigues me--but I am not a techie-geek yet. I love the idea of silent or almost silent operation--but what do you do about storage? The other question is attaching a CD/RW drive (external?)--is it easy and smooth? I am looking for something very reliable and smooth to write my dissertation on over the next couple of years and longer. The stability and speed of Linux is an asset and I am in love with small form-factors. I don't mind attaching an external CD or DVD drive if it will work. I would basically like a machine for word-processing, websurfing (is Java supported?) and audio and video (not recording, just listening and watching). Can I attach peripherals to the thin-client to do that?

NewbornPupGuest

I am sooo stupid!

#14 Post by NewbornPupGuest »

Both look great, I will figure it out....I reinstalled a video card today, opening up a PC for the first time. Duh. Now I know I can work with either and figure out a good configuration....

raffy

Go multisession

#15 Post by raffy »

Going multisession will enable you to work with your files as long as there is a PC with CD writer around...

cplater

#16 Post by cplater »

I've got one of the NTA thin clients and like it very much. The two fans ( one on the cpu and the other by the power supply) make little noise and mine lives in the living room next to the TV. They are limited in what peripherals you can attach. There is just one PCI slot and the USB ports are 1.1 not 2.0. Many external CD/DVD writers will not function on 1.1 so you would need to check for that. External hard drives and flash drives have work flawlessly for me though including a Video Ipod. In my PCI slot I just installed a Dlink DWL-G510 card in mine and will be working on getting wireless to function this weekend.