Icon Themes Exchange

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

This theme is another very neat artistic idea that, to be honest with you, I'm surprised that someone hadn't thought of sooner.

It's from here so thanks to the creator Darknessssen; great idea!

I've done mod's like I usually do customizing for puppy.

Minimalist, hand drawn black and white "paper" icons.

Oh, using a black-white jwm theme from early in the jwm themes exchange forum thread. And the wallpaper is an original gimp done by one of my kids of one of our dogs.

8)

steve_s

#77 Post by steve_s »

These are the classic Tango icons...usual mod's, etc. by myself. Tango, as usual, very simple, clean and straight-forward.

But what is significant is that these are the first svg icons that I've assembled. Puppy has it's own way of doing things so in order to modify stuff I had to teach myself inkscape. Lite wasn't getting it, so hunting down libraries, etc. finally got Inkscape full installed. Then, after much, "WHY AREN'T YOU EMBEDDING?!!" and, "UGH! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE EXPLAIN THAT I HAD TO TRACE THE BITMAP'S PATH?!!" and the like, I gradually began to figure out how to use Inkscape effectively.

...it was a similar process to learning gimp. Ahhh...good times. :lol:

So now I am actually looking forward to the next round of svg icons...they do end up looking very sharp, perhaps coming out cleaner than straight png icons...not ready to create them all myself, but I can mutate with the best of 'em now! 8)
Attachments
tango-screenie1.png
(176.75 KiB) Downloaded 6879 times

steve_s

#78 Post by steve_s »

These are from here.

I did the usual mod's, except this is a fully svg icon set, including the mounted and mount boot versions of various icons...thank goodness for Inkscape. Also, I put together a jwm theme that is on the jwm themes thread.

Oh, the start-button.png doesn't like svg, so it is a png icon.

I have full screenshots on the My Puppy Looks Better Than Yours here.
Attachments
area042-icon-screenie.jpg
(107.75 KiB) Downloaded 3987 times
area042-icon-theme.pet
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times

magerlab

#79 Post by magerlab »

how do you imply svg icons into jwm?
that looks nice

i like nuovo icons and now use jwm-winter theme and mime from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=420
they are aslo svg

steve_s

#80 Post by steve_s »

magerlab wrote:how do you imply svg icons into jwm?
that looks nice

i like nuovo icons and now use jwm-winter theme and mime from here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=420
they are aslo svg
..thanks for the compliment!

Master Barry explains it best here. The deal is that the icon switcher script takes the svg files (assuming they are named correctly; I basically use a list of icon names that are in one of the themes from 4.2 and the advice from Barry's blog) and converts them to the correct png's, including sizes, whenever the script is run.

I've found that the svg icon themes can be easier to put together (since you don't have to have as many 'cause they are scalable) but they are harder to deal with (since I'm much better with gimp than inkscape, although I'm learning). So, there are definite plusses and minuses.

My two cents.. 8)

dejan555

#81 Post by dejan555 »

Now you can browse iconsets here. ;)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

steve_s

#82 Post by steve_s »

dejan555 wrote:Now you can browse iconsets here. ;)
Yeah! Excellent! This is what Puppy deserves. I realized that "all the other linuxes have their icons," why not us?! Nice compilation, dejan555!

steve_s

#83 Post by steve_s »

8) I hope that you all are enjoying my icon insanity...don't know why I'm on this roll, but...

Ok, this set is a compilation of sets, the bulk of which are from the Assorted Icons set from Deviant art. All icons are from deviant art. All are from sources with at least creative commons license release, so they are all good for re-use, but please don't sell 'em unless you track down the source of the icon.

This icon set has my usual mod's, so all have been resized and renamed at least. Only ones that could be modified have had things added to them like mount, etc.

The intention of this set is to have icons that are as true to life as possible, so I looked for some very sharp icons and I think it turned out well. Thanks to deviant art for having this kind of service available.

The wallpaper is from here and the jwm theme (yes, that's jwm) is the vista theme provided by WhoDo on the jwm themes exchange thread...
Attachments
truly-screenie2.png
(188.61 KiB) Downloaded 6536 times
truly-screenie1.png
(173.62 KiB) Downloaded 6826 times

battleshooter

#84 Post by battleshooter »

steve_s wrote:8) I hope that you all are enjoying my icon insanity...don't know why I'm on this roll, but...
Your roll is great Steve! Keep it up! I really like having so many icon options. The icons have a bit of a way to catch up till they meet the variety of the icewm themes- and you're helping them :). You could become the WhoDo of icons ;) Thanks for posting so many!
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

hondasid

more icons

#85 Post by hondasid »

I have been at iconarchive.com for about 2 hours now. There are thousands of cool icons that you can download, as a pack or individually. I've replaced almost every puppy icon!

steve_s

#86 Post by steve_s »

battleshooter wrote:
steve_s wrote:8) I hope that you all are enjoying my icon insanity...don't know why I'm on this roll, but...
Your roll is great Steve! Keep it up! I really like having so many icon options. The icons have a bit of a way to catch up till they meet the variety of the icewm themes- and you're helping them :). You could become the WhoDo of icons ;) Thanks for posting so many!
Thank you, battleshooter...that is very appreciated.

hondasid: good suggestion! Thanks!

hondasid

#87 Post by hondasid »

yeah, they have a ton of stuff. I posted my desktop when I was through with it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=735

I've since added FakeNES and ZSNES and have desktop icons for both.

Thinking I'm going to add Opera and remove Firefox 3, way too buggy with online videos, which is how I watch television.

steve_s

#88 Post by steve_s »

hondasid wrote:yeah, they have a ton of stuff. I posted my desktop when I was through with it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=735

I've since added FakeNES and ZSNES and have desktop icons for both.

Thinking I'm going to add Opera and remove Firefox 3, way too buggy with online videos, which is how I watch television.
I'm a bigger fan of having a set of icons, but I'll check that out for ideas; thanks again... 8) Oh, and Texan's unite!! ;-)

hondasid

#89 Post by hondasid »

odd question and i just want to know if it would work.

I have made a seperate folder of all of the stock puppy icons and then replaced each of them with an icon of my liking, while renaming them appropriatly to match the factory names. If I give this folder a name and place it in the themes folder with the rest, will it show up on the desktop icon switcher?
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

steve_s

#90 Post by steve_s »

hondasid wrote:odd question and i just want to know if it would work.

I have made a seperate folder of all of the stock puppy icons and then replaced each of them with an icon of my liking, while renaming them appropriatly to match the factory names. If I give this folder a name and place it in the themes folder with the rest, will it show up on the desktop icon switcher?
Unfortunately it only works if you follow the format of sizes, names, etc. Check the beginning of this thread and Barry posts the link to his blog that gives instructions on the correct sizing and naming and such...

hondasid

#91 Post by hondasid »

yeah, i've downloaded all the right size icons, 24x24 and 48x48 and have changed the names to reflect those of a stock puppy install. And they are all png files. I just don't want to load this thing in there and lose all my icons. I spent over a day getting them all. No flash drive or CD-R to save them to either.

steve_s

#92 Post by steve_s »

Looking for a theme that is a little more vibrant but not too serious? Try this.

Smooth-color is a combination of packages including various things off of iconarchive, deviant art and the like. Scrap icons, a little gartoon, etc. as long as I could stay with the feel of the theme and licensing issues didn't conflict. This one is free for non-commercial use, otherwise look up the creator...

All on 4.2; usual mod's by myself, including the start-button...

Enjoy and post back if you like 'em... 8)
Attachments
smooth-color-screenie1.png
(163.14 KiB) Downloaded 5880 times
Smooth-colors_icon-theme.pet
(174.68 KiB) Downloaded 1298 times

steve_s

#93 Post by steve_s »

hondasid wrote:yeah, i've downloaded all the right size icons, 24x24 and 48x48 and have changed the names to reflect those of a stock puppy install. And they are all png files. I just don't want to load this thing in there and lose all my icons. I spent over a day getting them all. No flash drive or CD-R to save them to either.
...well, save 'em some place secure, either the hard drive or something else. I completely understand working on 'em all day. But you are pretty safe with those 'cause here is what happens, basically: once the icons are saved in the right place (/usr/local/lib/X11/themes/) you can then click on change icon theme. Once you click on that it says, hey, you sure? you say yeah, then the script runs and essentially takes your icon theme and recreates it in the correct folder for the desktop (that's why the svg files can work 'cause the script converts 'em to png).

That's simplifying and any of the more learned dogs [dogs= a respectful term, in this case, regarding those that have been on the forum forever and know a great deal more than me..."dog" is meant to represent the grown up equivalent of a puppy, in this case :wink: ] on the forum feel free to correct me. But my point is, your icons are still there when the process is finished.

But remember, I did tell you to save them first... 8)

hondasid

#94 Post by hondasid »

Well, wonder no more. It works.

I copied the current theme from pixmaps folder to a new folder and slowly replaced them one by one. Once I had all of them changed, I gave the folder a name and put it in the themes folder with the other 3. I ran desktop icon switcher and there, even with a preview.

steve_s

#95 Post by steve_s »

Here is a new one folks..aluminum icon theme...straight from here...here

Similar to osx with aluminum style folders...

...I've almost got this process automated, folks.

Let's just say install imagemagick (search the forum) use mogrify to change icon sizes, use a rename script to rename and use composite to make the mntd and boot_mntd icons...I'm THIS close...;-) My goal is to have it to where I put the base icons in a file, run a script, then the icon set is created...I'll keep everyone posted...
Attachments
aluminum-screenie1.png
(110.96 KiB) Downloaded 3509 times