Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 02:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
BJF

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 00:15    Post subject:  3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.  

HP NX9005 laptop with 2.17 on hard drive, and internal unsupported WinModem:

-This is pretty much a plug and play solution to the perenial dial-up modem problem common to Windows-friendly machinery. No drivers were required in this case.

-The modem was connected and switched on, and the laptop booted. No modem was detected during initialisation, possibly as the I had previously edited the first line out of the wvdial.config file thereby removing any location for the file to look to.

-modem-wizard was run, and found the serial modem on ttyS0. The location was saved.

-Pupdial wouldn't start, due to the blank location line in wvdial.config, so ttyS0 was inserted there.

-gkdial was started, using the configuration for my provider previously entered, and the modem dialed out and connected.

-Seamonkey was launched to verify the connection. Success!

-A shut down and reboot found an analogue modem on ttyS0 on boot-up, pupdial probed and tested on the same port, and dialled out too. gkdial has been chosen as the weapon of choice primarily because it doesn't advertise the password like pupdial does.

I have rationalised my dislike of the mains-supplied serial device with the valid point that the computer needs to be connected to a building to access a phone line and one more plug won't make any difference!
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 01:24    Post subject: Re: 3Com US Robotics 045668-01 Message modem with 2.17 Full.  

BJF wrote:
... and internal unsupported WinModem

No, WinModems are "softmodems" which require modem hardware emulation by the host CPU, via various Linux kernel modules and utilities. But your 3ComUS Robotics 045668-01, on the other hand, is a true hardware modem.
To say that the modem is "unsupported" is misleading, because this implies that a driver is necessary, but hardware modems require no driver in Linux at all.
BJF

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul 2008, 06:10    Post subject:  

Thank you, tempestuous. I had indeed wanted to describe a software modem for which no driver existed to make it work under Linux. Hopefully any reader who reads of my experiences with a real modem will see your comments and understand. I, for my part, will be more careful with my personal comments.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Dialup
Jump to: