pMusic 6.0.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#1771 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.2.5
See main post

Changelog
- Trackinfo: Albumart: Accept folder.jpg as local image-file.
- Bugfix: Masstagger can't import content of sourcelist if browsing.
- Bugfix: First run fails for CD-audio (thanks to OscarTalks)

zigbert

#1772 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.2.6
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Autoplay CD only if valid audio-CD (thanks to OscarTalks)

DrSunshine

pMusic 4.2.6 - Podcast not displayed.

#1773 Post by DrSunshine »

I have made the migration from Arch to Puppy on my netbook and have been enjoying it so far. pMusic is a great 'niche' app, good job!

I am podcast junkie and was relieved to see that there was podcast support with pMusic, however, the issue is that no matter what I seem to do I cannot see my downloaded podcasts in pMusic.

The podcast dialog accepts my feeds, and downloads with no errors. The mp3 files are downloaded to ~/.pmusic/podcasts and are playable when opened from Rox. The audio files have 644 permissions and directories ./podcast and it children have 755 and all owned by root:root.

Copying a mp3 into each parent directory I am not able to see the file (within pMusic browser) until I get to my home directory. In fact, any file or directory is masked/invisible within the ~/.pmusic directory and its children. The .pmusic directory has permissions of 755 root:root as well.

Going to Music Sources --> Podcast --> Show Podcasts takes pMusic browser to the /root/.pmusic/podcasts/ directory but nothing is displayed, while Rox at the same location shows subdirectories and files.

Running pMusic from terminal gives no errors though when exiting the podcast setup dialog it does log this:

Code: Select all

BUTTON_REMOVE=""
PODCASTLIST=""
EXIT="OK"
Opening My Music DB, does show the podcasts in the editor.
Podcasts.
. . . .- Click on podcast in manager to show downloaded files in sourcelist.
. . . .- Bugfix: Show podcasts via Music-Sources menu.
I saw this in the changelog but I am not sure in what context I should be finding podcast in what manager.

Sorry if this has been addressed before I tried every term I could think of but returned up empty.

I am running a stock Slacko and upgraded pMusic to 4.2.6 and gtkDialog to 0.8.4r514
And if it is important it is running on a EeePC platform.

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

zigbert

#1774 Post by zigbert »

DrSunshine
Welcome to the Puppy forum, and thank you for the bugreport. The bug is located to the browser module. Happens for all browsing inside hidden directories, not pods alone.

I have to admit that the pod-module hasn't got the love it deserves - as the coder never listen to pods. It has been on my todo-list for a long time to update the podcast structure. It is a bit old-fashion compared to other modules I use daily.

If you have any suggestions how a good pod-gui should work, I would be happy to hear from one who actually use it.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1775 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.2.7
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Browse inside hidden directories (thanks to DrSunshine)

zigbert

#1776 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.2.8
See main post

Changelog
- 4.2.7 made dirs invisible when browsing :shock:

nooby

#1777 Post by nooby »

Hi Sigbert thanks for friendly invitation to describe how
pMusic behave from my point of view due to my peculiar
habits.

I don't remember much but maybe like this.

I have a Desktop and on the pinboard on screen
the GUI I have drag and drop Dir and one goes to
Music. I click on that one and see all the MP4 and MP3
files that is almost exclusivel from Youtube.
Using wmplayer that file which I choose plays instantly
but your program has a delay of several minutes
which way too much for my impatient body.

Maybe your program try to make a list if all 100 to 500 files
have I only guess have not counted them.

To close the file failed at first. I looked around and
could not find Files Shut down or what it is named.

That is about it. Was it specific enough.

If the pmusic is doing listing of all the files
then how do I stop that before it start to list them?

Hope it is this thread you talked about in Slacko?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

#1778 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @ZIgbert and others who follow this thread.

Here's a little insight BUT I'm sure that there are other views which can contribute the same.

Scenario
All of our lives we have been collectors in one form or another of multimedia content; especially Music.

About 40 years ago, IBM created the first "hardware database" (DB) machine. Instead of DB being constructed/managed by computer language of database procedures, they built many-much of that relational database language into the hardware. The benefit the 2 sucession lines of those mini's were that they were fastest DB access in the world.

One of the things they demo'd as far back as 1980 to Fortune 500 managment is how it can be used to manage multimedia content. As such they demo how immediate a song could be access and played from all the songs stored for access in the DB.

Let's fast forward to today. A little known secret....Android (maybe Apple too). EVERYTHING is via the DB!...EVERYTHING!!! in case you didn't hear. They are using a technology which was introduced in 1977!

I realize that many of the developers in PUPPY are NOT DB people, but, it is not much of a stretch to look into whether even a small DB would not just improve access, search, and playback, but also, lower overall system performance when in need of such.

In the past, members have incorrectly viewed size of a PET as having a negative impact on the system. I have found this to not be true especially when you consider system performance as the real measure of stuff, especially multimedia stuff.

Not being the pMusic developer, I'm not in any position to understand whether pMusic is designed such that it can easily accomodate a DB approach to music.

But, maybe Puppy LInux as it matures will find DB as a direction to go. And, sometimes things like this start with some small implementation where it catches on because of the value it presents.

I am a pMusic user. But, until now, I had not considered the difference in how it manages its use of files, nor have I compared.

If there is a DB person available who can read pMusic scripts, there may potentially be some "real" benefit.

There also maybe some examples of DB+Music use that exist in obvious places OTHER THAN WHAT HAPPENS IN Apache for information access.

zigbert

#1779 Post by zigbert »

playdayz wrote: The only problem I ever had with it is that because it is written with scripts instead of compiled it cannot (or could not) handle very large music collections (mine is around 7,000 tracks).
I just felt for commenting this :D
I have 74000 tracks atm, and pMusic has no problem managing those.

Playdayz's problem with pMusic is based on a personal habbit of having all tracks in the playlist. I learned this workflow with Winamp, but have changed my behavior after working with pMusic. Earlier, the pMusic playlist could not contain more than a couple of hundred tracks before pMusic became slow. This because of a bug in gtkdialog <tree> widget, This is now fixed, and a long playlist should not give the same problem. I have not widely tested this way of navigating since it is not my daily way of doing things. It would be great if someone (playdayz) is willing to review this and give some feedback based on the status of today.

When it comes to speed, bash isn't the fastest choice. For that reason the rating module is written in awk which gives a heavy speed improvement when it comes to picking/calculating tracks from the internal db.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1780 Post by zigbert »

nooby
Clicking on a file in rox to start playing should not give a delay of several minutes. Something is obvious wrong. I really want to find out what!

My 3Ghz machine uses approximately 1 sec to add 10000 music files to the db. This is what happens the first time you start pMusic (when the splash says "Fresh music..."). If you start pMusic from the menu (first time) it will search $HOME and /mnt/ for music files. If you click on a file it will search the given directory and subdirectories.

So, why is it taking so long for you? Please think loud together with me.
- You have an extremely slow system...
- When you click on a file, there is a universe of subdirectories...
- Your files is stored on a bad supported filesystem like FAT32...
- Probably many more possible pitfalls...

Please share any thoughts.

Thank you
Sigmund

zigbert

#1781 Post by zigbert »

gcmartin
I don't know what you think of when you talk about pMusic and DB, since a database can be everything from the smallest ans simplest stuff to what we see in systems that tracks all actions into its DB.

pMusic has its own DB to keep info of file-info, tags, musicbrainz-IDs, albumart/Lyrics-URL, stream-info and rating. You can see the content in 'MusicSources>My music'.

This gives several advantages
- Fast search for file, tags,...
- Find tracks belonging to one album
- Rating based on your play-habbits
- Smart-add
- Quick view of Track info
- Quick grabbing of lyrics/albumart based on URL

This DB is homemade, and is sure not as good/fast as the pro DB's. But it is suited to fit pMusic's need, and atm, I can't see the huge benefit of using an external DB.

Sigmund

gcmartin

#1782 Post by gcmartin »

DBs yours or otherwise: Think "tables". And think reference/filter extensions that map no matter which DB pMusic might be designed for. And think multimedia as all of what we do is moving forward.

Its NOT a requirement to change anything, its just some ideas tossed for review and thought. In fact, the pMusic DB is adequate for what it does and continues to deliver, as you show.

pMusic, as I expressed, is what I use, thanks to the manner provided via the distro developers in their PUP distro and thanks to you. (of course, you already know this)

Tote

#1783 Post by Tote »

Hello Zigbert, sorry to bother you if this has already been covered in your pmusic thread, I'm using pmusic 428 in Lucid 5.28.6 on a Thinkpad T61.

I wonder if there is a way to create the option to record the whole of a streaming radio programme? I have tried using the Hits Grabber after un-ticking the option to delete tracks less than 1MB but then it simply skips continuously and doesn't record anything.

Quite often I would like to save/record an entire radio programme. I realise there are other ways to do this with Puppy linux but I don't have much success in that direction. :?

many thanks for your time and for pmusic.

zigbert

#1784 Post by zigbert »

Tote

1.) Add URL to playlist
2.) Menu>PlayQueue>Export

Tote

#1785 Post by Tote »

That was surprisingly easy, even for me. :D Many thanks.

Not sure if you're aware, but I tried Music Sorces>Radio Stations>Setup>Install, and get a pop-up, No connection to server.

gcmartin

#1786 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Zigbert. Noticed from your last pic that you are testing-using a 4.3.0 version. Is that alpha/beta/posted somewhere?

zigbert

#1787 Post by zigbert »

Tote wrote:Not sure if you're aware, but I tried Music Sorces>Radio Stations>Setup>Install, and get a pop-up, No connection to server.
Seems that server is down. Either wait and try again, or you can build the index yourself from the Advanced tab.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1788 Post by zigbert »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @Zigbert. Noticed from your last pic that you are testing-using a 4.3.0 version. Is that alpha/beta/posted somewhere?
No, I have not uploaded anything yet. Still a lot of work to be done before anything valuable. Are there any specific issues/features you are looking for?

Sigmund

gcmartin

#1789 Post by gcmartin »

zigbert wrote:I have not uploaded anything yet. Still a lot of work to be done before anything valuable. Are there any specific issues/features you are looking for?
Sigmund
No, pMusic has so much more than I could use in my remaining lifetime. :lol:

Great, great. ... Thanks Zigbert!

Moat

#1790 Post by Moat »

Hi Zigbert,

Just a heads-up... it seems the meownplanet.net link for pMusic is down? I've tried a few times over the course of the day, to no avail.

Bob