pMusic 6.0.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#2026 Post by zigbert »

Mick
If you have the time, I have changed line 106 in /usr/local/pmusic/pmusic to:

Code: Select all

nice -n 18 $APPDIR/func_index -msg_quick_update &
Does that help?
I don't have such a complex system. I only have 2 harddrives, and the scan is done in a few seconds...

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

greengeek

#2027 Post by greengeek »

zigbert wrote: I don't have such a complex system. I only have 2 harddrives, and the scan is done in a few seconds...
Would it be possible to have a default setting where pmusic would ask which drives or locations the user wanted to be included in the search? Especially on first run i feel it should ask rather than assuming everything is fair game...
At times i may have a number of usb drives plugged in (maybe 10 or 15 partitions sometimes.)
Cheers!

zigbert

#2028 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 5 Beta3

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

zigbert

#2029 Post by zigbert »

greengeek wrote:Would it be possible to have a default setting where pmusic would ask which drives or locations the user wanted to be included in the search? Especially on first run i feel it should ask rather than assuming everything is fair game...
At times i may have a number of usb drives plugged in (maybe 10 or 15 partitions sometimes.)
Cheers!
You explain how first run worked in the pMusic 3 branch. At that time some complained that pMusic was too advanced...
But, I am open for any good suggestion. The default directories to scan are seen in Menu>Music_Sources>My_Music.
- It is set to scan /mnt/ and $HOME.
- At first run it does a full scan. After this, main window shows the message/buttons to scan directory of added unknown files (unkown for the internal db). The idea is; if you want to play tracks ie. from your usb-drive and will not add content to the DB. you can skip scanning. AND, there is no external dialog. The message are shown in the main window, and will go away by itself in short time. This mechanism works well (I think), but the first run is tricky - what is the best approach for most users...

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

greengeek

#2030 Post by greengeek »

zigbert wrote:but the first run is tricky - what is the best approach for most users...
Ok, I will give it some more thought and see if I can find the best modification for my needs.
I don't run a savefile so every time I start pmusic after booting is "firstrun" for me. (yep - the way I use Puppy is a bit weird :-) )

smokey01

#2031 Post by smokey01 »

zigbert, I unpacked the pet, made a SFS of the directory, loaded the sfs and it ran fine in Fatdog64-702.

Nice work.

Pelo

that the playlist lists the titles

#2032 Post by Pelo »

Pmusic is a good media player Zigbert. but user wants always more.
Exemple, i have a CD 'Johnny Halliday', quiet the Elvis Presley for France.
I have the pocket beside me with the picture and the titles listed.
Do you know what i would like ? that the playlist lists the titles :!: damned users, never satisfied.
Pmusic does it, but this CD was sold with a review, so it is possible that the metadata are not registered ont it. Perhaps, perhaps not.
And the Johnny picture would be a plus...
My ideas about that : what information on the CD permit a player to list the songs ? Does a link to a CDDB on the web could fill the lack of information ?
CDs were burned in 2010.
DataCrow find the songs. Why not link a mediaplayer to a collection manager ? Alexandra does that, but is not compiled for Linux (it was in the past, but as Linux users only study computing, without listening music, developers develop for Mac and windows, nowadays)
Attachments
Olympia.jpg
Jacques Brel or Edith Piaf would have been 'unkown artist' too
(90.93 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

greengeek

#2033 Post by greengeek »

Testing version 4.9.4 and all seems to work well now for me. Thanks for the restoration of the "add to queue" for directory.

The only problems I can see now relate to Nad5 theme (which I guess needs updating for new version). The sound processing icon is missing from main page and the mute icon is missing from EQ.

I love Nad5 by the way...
It's a "must have"
:-)
Attachments
SoundProcessor_Icon.jpg
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
mute icon.jpg
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

zigbert

#2034 Post by zigbert »

greengeek wrote:I don't run a savefile so every time I start pmusic after booting is "firstrun" for me.
Then it becomes very clear why you don't like the firstrun scan :)

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

zigbert

#2035 Post by zigbert »

smokey01 wrote:zigbert, I unpacked the pet, made a SFS of the directory, loaded the sfs and it ran fine in Fatdog64-702.

Nice work.
Thank you taking the time to give positive feedback. - It's rare and nice. Developers most often get feedback when something is wrong...

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

zigbert

Re: that the playlist lists the titles

#2036 Post by zigbert »

Pelo wrote:Do you know what i would like ? that the playlist lists the titles :!: damned users, never satisfied.
pMusic uses 2 different sources for detection of CD-audio meta information:
- libcddb is the default choice is available. (check for cddb_query in terminal or simply run 'pmusic -D' for a dependency check)
- cdda2wav is the fallback solution.
Depending on your system, your issue may have relation with a missing libcddb.

Albumart is grabbed from amazon.com as soon as Artist - Album (metatags) are detected.

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

zigbert

#2037 Post by zigbert »

greengeek wrote:The only problems I can see now relate to Nad5 theme (which I guess needs updating for new version). The sound processing icon is missing from main page and the mute icon is missing from EQ.
Hmm... I can not reproduce this?
A fresh install and downloaded the Nad5 theme from the forum thread. - Looks good to me???

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

gcmartin

#2038 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Zigbert. Nice effort coming along.

I would like to present 1 idea, here. @Musher0 and @StemSee, each, last year presented solutions to instanteously locating files. They used a 2+ decade old Linux command family which is now known as "slocate" from the family of "updatedb-locate".

As PUPs move forward, more and more PUP developers will be include one or the other as there is extreme benefit to use of those commands for all sorts of both developer and user uses.

This has tremendous benefit as some/many users has terabytes of information collected over their home's lifetime that we are having to weave thru each day for the many various ways we use our file-systems. So the distros which have this built-in bring advantage to applications and users over those distros without it.

I am sure you agree that instant file locating is of benefit to the db building needs of pMusic. As such, when pMusic starts, could it detect 'slocate' and use, if present, for its user needs?

Hope this is helpful as you continue forward.

zigbert

#2039 Post by zigbert »

gcmartin wrote:I am sure you agree that instant file locating is of benefit to the db building needs of pMusic. As such, when pMusic starts, could it detect 'slocate' and use, if present, for its user needs?
The official Puppy does not include *locate. The idea of the pSeries is to extend Puppy with already existing dependencies, not to introduce any new. If *locate finds it way into Puppy, I will sure consider to use it.
Remember, this is a first-run issue only. The pMusic DB contains much more info than the output of *locate can give.

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

don570

#2040 Post by don570 »

I've been testing playmusic by THUNOR

and I saw an interesting feature.

Click on the name of the file and the location or details are shown.

Left-clicking the track details toggles between album/artist and track.

Left-clicking the cover navigates to the next folder if one exists.
Right-clicking the cover navigates to the previous folder if one exists.
Middle-clicking the cover will open the cover full-size in another window.
Attachments
screenshot-playmusic2.png
playmusic screenshot
(15.29 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

zigbert

#2041 Post by zigbert »

don570 wrote:I've been testing playmusic by THUNOR

and I saw an interesting feature.

Click on the name of the file and the location or details are shown.
I don't see how this can extend pMusic?
In the main window track info is shown beside the albumart, while filename with path is shown in statusbar.

Hover a track in the playqueue will also show complete /path/file as a tooltips.

Please explain if I misunderstand your point.

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

don570

#2042 Post by don570 »

I just thought it was interesting technology when I saw it.
By the way, your new beta version is noticeably faster in precise puppy 5.7.1.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unui ... remix-os#/

zigbert

#2043 Post by zigbert »

don570 wrote:By the way, your new beta version is noticeably faster in precise puppy 5.7.1.
Good news :)
Thank you for testing

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

zigbert

#2044 Post by zigbert »

01micko mentioned many find/grep commands running at first startup of pMusic. I have now dived into it, and tries to understand and improve...
  • Many finds and greps has become one find and grep even if user actively adds/manages tracks in pMusic. This should reduce the scan-time.
  • I have given the first-run scan a lower cpu priority (nice -n 18 )
  • 'find' is much slower on my ntfs filesystem than my ext4. This could be an issue for many users, and a solution could be to skip scan if filesystem is not linux-friendly. - But after all, I guess music files is likely to be stored on both vfat or ntfs for compatibility reasons, so this doesn't sound too smart.
  • 'find' becomes even slower if filesystem contains errors...
  • I have not tested if splitting 'find' into parallel tasks could give a noticeable speed improvement. It would be possible (I think) to ie. run one 'find' command for each /mnt/ folder. This would require a bit of coding...
Please share your thoughts

pmusic 5.0.0 Beta

gcmartin

#2045 Post by gcmartin »

thanks.