pMusic 6.0.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
peebee

#2296 Post by peebee »

For info:

32 and 64 bit versions of pmusic-PLUGIN-trayapp have been added to
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -common32/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -common64/

and can be included in woof-ce builds using pet_packages-commonxx by having:
yes|pmusic_PLUGIN_trayapp||exe
in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-**

They are made with:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/p ... p.petbuild

from source:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/so ... rce.tar.gz
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

zigbert

#2297 Post by zigbert »

Version 5.7.0
First development release for 5.8.
I expect it to be stable enough for daily use as only few modules has been touched during coding.

Changelog
- pMusic will NOT scan your local drives at first run
- Heavily improved Podcast management
--> Search og browse based on language or category
--> Search for podcast info-tags
--> DB generator checks each url if actual rss channel
--> DB now contains about 40000 channels
--> Faster expansion of podcasts in channel
--> Mark 'dead' podcasts with red icon
- Nad / Gtk theme update to reflect changes in Podcast managment
- Remove some terminal output
- Bugfixing

jmarkus

Love pMusic

#2298 Post by jmarkus »

Zigbert, I have this installed on all three versions of Puppy linux. 7.5, BionicPup32, and 64bit that I run in VMs. It is extremely fast and seems to work with more radio stations than any other streamer I have tried. Would love to have this option in ubuntu MATE 19.10. Are you likely to create a snap, or deb of pMusic? Thank you for all the work on pMusic.
Jim

zigbert

#2299 Post by zigbert »

Hi Jim
Welcome to the kennel!

pMusic is architecture independent and will work for any X86/ARM (32/64-bit) system, as long as the dependencies is valid. pMusic is simply a collection of scripts, and not compiled code. That means all code are readable and executable after installation to /usr/local/pmusic/. The package is provided as a pet, which basically is a tar.xz. It will open in any archive program - at least if you rename it to pMusic-5.7.0.tar.xz

Sigmund

jmarkus

#2300 Post by jmarkus »

Sigmund, I'm not that familiar with installing scripts. I extracted the files from the pet file after renaming it. I placed them in the usr/local/pmusic/ dir and tried using the terminal to launch it with a simple pmusic command. Then I tried making a deb file using dh_make which asked for pmusic_5.7.0.orig.tar.xz. That didn't work so I tried the -f switch on the pmusic_5.7.0.tar.xz file. Can you spell it out for a dummy like me in a step by step approach?

zigbert

#2301 Post by zigbert »

What output do you get when running '/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic' in terminal?

Also, try to run the dependency check '/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -D' to see what dependencies you have, and what you miss.

sheldonisaac

#2302 Post by sheldonisaac »

zigbert wrote:What output do you get when running '/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic' in terminal?

Also, try to run the dependency check '/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -D' to see what dependencies you have, and what you miss.
Ah, good, Sigmund.
I had thought to try somehow to help, but fortunately didn't, hoping an expert would. And, minutes later, you have!
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

zigbert

#2303 Post by zigbert »

sheldonisaac wrote:I had thought to try somehow to help
I'm very glad for all help provided. I am maybe a pMusic-expert, but have close to no Ubuntu knowledge. Together we find solutions!

jmarkus

closer...but no cigar

#2304 Post by jmarkus »

Sigmund, I am beginning to think Puppy's root, and Ubuntu's non administrator logins are a problem. I get no message to the /usr/local/pmusic/pmusic command. This is what I get with the -D switch

dad@OptiPlex-7010:~$ /usr/local/pmusic/pmusic -D
R E Q U I R E D
bash >= 4.0 |OK|
coreutils, awk, sed, diff |OK|
gtkdialog >= r512 |MISSING|
ffmpeg >= 1.2 |OK|
aplay (alsa) |OK|

R E C O M M E N D E D
streamripper extended radio-rip/play |MISSING|
cdrtools play/rip audio-CD |MISSING|
wget connection to www |OK|

O P T I O N A L
youtube-dl Play/download youtube |OK|
pEqualizer 10 band equalizer |MISSING|
soundstrech bpm support |MISSING|
Timidity play midi |MISSING|
libcddb improved CD detection |MISSING|
pBurn burning audio-CD |MISSING|
pFilesearch File-search engine >= 1.28 |MISSING|
dad@OptiPlex-7010:~$

Formatting seems to change on the web...

I did try copying the entire extracted pmusic folder to /usr/local/ dir which made a command line rather strange as /usr/local/pmusic/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic. The installation music immediately began playing, but generated an error that it could not be run from that location. The D switch error looks like it is missing 3 important dependencies, and another 6 it probably should have options. Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

jmarkus

#2305 Post by jmarkus »

Got rid of 3 of the "MISSING" dependencies. I think if I can somehow get the "gtkdialog" installed - it would work. Left to Right = Before and Now.Image

mikeslr

#2306 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jmarkus,

I have no actual experience attempting to transpose an application created for Puppies to some other distro. But I have some experience with Ubuntu operating systems, their structure and the structure of Puppies. In any event, consider the following as an attempt to help, but proceed with caution.

Your terminal printout shows "gtkdialog >= r512 |MISSING|". This gtkdialog is required by pMusic. Ubuntu doesn't offer a version. I don't know whether your MATE 19.10 is a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Edit: See my next post about Xenialdog's repo. But search the Bionicdog repo first for appropriate package, https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog. If you have a 32-bit Ubuntu you could try this gtkdialog first, gtkdialog_0.8.7-wiak-B-2_i386.deb, https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... ages/Extra. IIRC, it includes wiak's modifications so that it could be used not only with bash, but also dash. There are several other debs you there you could try.

However, https://pkgs.org/download/gtkdialog reveals that Slackware versions of both architectures are available for Slackware 14 thru 14.2. 14.2 is the newest, and contemporary with Ubuntu 19. I downloaded gtkdialog-0.8.3-x86_64-1_slonly.txz and UExtracted it. You can use the same technique as you did with pmusic. [I suggest, however, that since Ubuntu lacks UExtract, you install pzip. Nice to have a GUI.]. Within the extracted folder there appeared to be only one significant file, the binary, /usr/bin/gtkdialog. You can copy just the gtkdialog file from the extracted folder to Ubuntu's /usr/bin folder.

"I did try copying the entire extracted pmusic folder to /usr/local/ dir which made a command line rather strange as /usr/local/pmusic/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic". Emphasis supplied.

After extracting an archive, such as txz, don't copy the entire archive. Only copy those files and folders you need.

For example, after extracting pmusic 5.6.1, you'll find a "root" folder within which is a hidden .config folder, and within that the rox.sourceforge.net folder containing folders and files having to do with calling pmusic via a Puppy's Right-Click Menu. You can probably live without them. But, if you wanted them, you could probably just copy the .config folder to Ubuntu's Home Folder, If I recall correctly, within that folder will be a folder for config and settings. If so, use that folder. [Puppies 'run as root', hence config's are in /root. Ubuntus run as User, hence config's are in the User's Home Folder].

Within the extracted pmusic folder is one named usr and within that 'local' and 'share' folders. Just copy the CONTENTS of pmusic's local folder into Ubuntu's /usr/local folder. pmusic's share folder contains two folders: applications and pixmaps. Copy the contents of pmusic's pixmaps folder into Ubuntu's /usr/share/pixmap folder. Copy the contents of pmusic's application folder into /usr/share/applications folder. Doing so should create entries of pmusic's modules on your Menu.
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#2307 Post by zigbert »

mikeslr points out what's important - You need gtkdialog. Without this, the pMusic gui won't show up.

On the other hand, all the recommended and optional dependencies is NOT required to get pMusic working. But, still great to see that you filled all the recommended dependencies as they extend the usage - espesially because you use the radio-module.

mikeslr

#2308 Post by mikeslr »

Following up zigbert's post. Ubuntu's synaptic package manager should be able to provide streamripper, since Ubuntu's repo search page, https://packages.ubuntu.com/ will lead you to one for Bionic, https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/streamripper. Note the dependencies. Synaptic will pull them in along with any dependencies of dependencies.

Cdrtools is another story. Again, Ubuntu doesn't have them. You could try slackware's via pkgs.org. But I suspect that you could live without the convenience of starting them via pmusic. They pertain to playing and ripping CDs for which Ubuntu is likely to have its own versions.

Just some background information which may be helpful. The file structure --where files go so that the operating system will find them--of the various Linuxes are almost always identical. The are three primary differences: (1) Other Listros have you run most applications as a Limited User and so place configuration and settings files in that User's Home Folder. That's also where the data files you create will be placed by default. Puppies run as root. So its root folder will contain those files and folders you would ordinarily find in other Linuxes' Home Folders. (2) Puppies always employ the /mnt folder as the location through which your operating system communicates with hardware devices. Other Linuxes most often use the /media folder, only occasionally the /mnt folder.

(3) The most important take-away for your project is the relationship between packages and package-managers. When a package for a particular Linux is created the creator includes instructions which will be read by that Linux's package manager. In puppies its done automatically when the command dir2pet is invoked. The instructions tell the package manager into which location to copy each of the files found in the package. Puppy devs have thoughtfully include in Puppies' package manager instructions not only as to how to handle pets, but also debs, txzs and some others. Ubuntu lacks that ability.

Regarding the components which are optional to pmusic, you may want to search Xenialdog's repo, https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog or Bionicdog's, https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog since fredx181 has repackaged some puppy applications as debs which Ubuntu does know how to deploy. And if you haven't already installed the Slackware version of gtkdialog, you'll find a gtkdialog, pfind (includes psearch) pburn and maybe others there.

jmarkus

Partial success

#2309 Post by jmarkus »

Sigmund and Mike, Thanks for the input. I will have to follow all the links Mike provided. To answer a few questions raised - Ubuntu MATE 19.10 is 64bit, I already used Synaptic Package Manager to find the Stream Ripper, cdrtools, and the optional Timidity. I followed this blog post to install gtkdialog 0.83 [LINK HERE](http://impurval.blogspot.com/2016/12/in ... buntu.html) However, I think it is the wrong version as I still get the missing dependency report. BUT pMusic does run, Podcast does work, but radio streamer is broken. It can't install the radio station database or search. I haven't tried the cd player. I'm a visual person (A photographer) - so pardon all the photos - I tried to include the terminal for feedback.

pMusic Running

Radio Streamer Playing Podcast?

Radio Station Database Install Not Working

Podcast Working

Radio Install Fail-gtkdialog Dependency Fail

jmarkus

Gonna stop now

#2310 Post by jmarkus »

I think the gtkdialog package on ubuntu has been a problem for a very long time. The web is full of brick walls that multitudes of users have been bashing their heads upon concerning this package. I'm going to stop spewing files all over my hard drive. The gtkdialog-0.8.3 literally put almost 100 mb on my system, and the fonts flying by in the terminal varied in color from hot pink to yellow as I saw "WARNING" fly by multiple times in the terminal window. Fortunately, my system is still ticking along happily, but if I continue I will undoubted screw it up. I'll just run a vm of any of three versions of puppy that I now have pMusic installed on, and use it that way. Thanks for the help! Maybe someone smarter that me can do this in the future.

zigbert

#2311 Post by zigbert »

jmarkus
You are really close... Your gtkdialog 0.8.3 is basically working, but misses the latest features included in version 0.8.4.

I also see issues with the gtk-theming, but that's minor... maybe just try another theme.

Thanks for trying. We are also learning. If you ever continue the process, please let us know.

zigbert

#2312 Post by zigbert »

Just a teaser of more news coming to pMusic...
Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
(24.68 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Screenshot(2).png
(113.7 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

zigbert

#2313 Post by zigbert »

Version 5.7.2
See main post

This is fun stuff...
...All "thinkable" music available for you.

Changelog
- Search for (and dig into) Artist discography. Play tracks either locally or from youtube
- Remove Radio, Podcast and CD frontends from main package
- Trackinfo: Complete discography, Image of artist, Show Wave image

zigbert

#2314 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 6 is released

See blog for release notes
See wiki for download

foxpup

thnx!

#2315 Post by foxpup »

Thank you @zigbert for this New Year's Present!
It looks wonderful.

I was surprised to see it is not in Bionicpup64.
It should be in all standard Pups.
It is totally Puppy:
small, feature rich, economical... it's even beautiful.