Unable to run minidlna in Xenialpup 7.5

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Scott99

Unable to run minidlna in Xenialpup 7.5

#1 Post by Scott99 »

I am running Xenialpup 7.5 on a HP Pavillion dv200 laptop. I have minidlna-1.0.22-1 installed. I am getting the following error message:

# /etc/init.d/minidlna restart
minidlna stopped.
/usr/sbin/minidlna: error while loading shared libraries: libsqlite3-3.6.12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
minidlna is not running.

What do I need to do to fix this and get it running? P.S. I will be connectiing to a Roku box. Thanks in advance. Scott

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Where did the minidlna package come from?
If it was not compiled in a compatible environment you are likely to get library mismatches like that.
The packages.ubuntu.com website shows the official xenial version number as 1.1.5 which looks to be later than yours.
Sometimes you can work around these things by installing a library if it is really missing or by creating a symlink named as the needed lib and being a link to a lib of a similar name, but best to install a compatible package from the outset.
Oscar in England

Scott99

#3 Post by Scott99 »

Hi Oscar, I downloaded the package from one of the puppy linux download pages. You've been very helpful to me in the past. May I approach this from a different angle. I would like to stream downloaded videos from my computer, running Xenialpup 7.5, to my Roku receiver. Can you advise me how to do this? Thanks, Scott

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

I have experience of setting up media streaming servers like icecast and shoutcast, but this is something different and I only glanced at minidlna and dlna servers/clients after reading your question so I am no expert in these matters.

From what I read though it looks like minidlna might well be a satisfactory way of doing what you want. I think it is just that the one you installed is too old and unsuitable for your Puppy. I looked up the source code for minidlna and it seems the latest version is 1.2.1 from 2017 which I downloaded and compiled in a fresh XenialPup32 without any difficulty. I can let you have a copy if you want to test if you can make it work for you. Obviously if compiled in Xenial it runs without any library errors. Otherwise search for it in PPM and install the one offered from the "universe" repo.

I can make it run here, (as root or as some other user), but I can't really test streaming over LAN to a Roku box because I don't have one of those. You have to set up the configuration the way you want it in /etc/minidlna.conf. For stop and start I used the init.d script from Ubuntu with one line removed, but there is an alternative one in the source which would probably be OK as well. If running minidlna as some other user you may have to add the desired user (and possibly group). As with all servers you have to make sure that ports are open so as to allow clients to be able to connect to them.
http://minidlna.sourceforge.net
Oscar in England

Scott99

#5 Post by Scott99 »

Ok. So I followed your link and downloaded the current minidlna version. I unpacked it and attempted an install which didn't work. This is what I found in the config log: It was created by MiniDLNA configure 1.1.3, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69. Invocation command line was

$ ./configure

configure:3590: error: in `/root/minidlna-1.2.1':
configure:3592: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Not sure what I did wrong. Also when I searched ppm I got sorry no matching package name. I'm not a programmer so I need to know that I am following all the required steps for any operation precisely. Thank you in advance for your patience and support. Scott

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

I think that is simply because you have not loaded the devx which you need to do if you want to compile anything. After you do that, it is always a good idea to run ./configure --help and read the information before deciding what options you need to include along with ./configure

For example in this case:-
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --enable-netgear --enable-readynas
(not sure if those last 2 are needed but they don't seem to hurt)

Anyway, I will attach the one I compiled to make things easier, you can do your own experiments with compiling as an aside if you wish to learn.

I have done some experimenting and can report that I have this one fully working here in 32bit Xenial (hope you are definitely using 32bit).

Install the .pet and edit the media_dir path in /etc/minidlna.conf
You will probably want this to be outside of pupsave (to save space) if it is a frugal install, so something like /mnt/home/media as the directory where all the media files will be stored.
The minidlna daemon scans this and creates a database and logs (under /var)

To start it:-
/etc/init.d/minidlna start
Or you can stop or restart with:-
/etc/init.d/minidlna stop
/etc/init.d/minidlna restart
Presumably it will automatically start on boot once installed.
Look in Task Manager to verify that minidlnad is running
(Will be running as root unless you want to change that)

I can't test a Roku box because I don't have one, but I read that you can use VLC as a DLNA client for accessing and playing the media files, so I tested my build of VLC 2.2.8 which I have running in DpupStretch elsewhere in my LAN.

You have to make sure that no firewalls are blocking it.
You have to make sure that UPnP is enabled in your router.

I am attaching the picture of VLC in DpupStetch which finds (and plays) the "Dark Matter" video which is hosted in the XenialPup file system via minidlna server over LAN connection.
Attachments
minidlna-client-vlc.jpg
Receiving and playing a "Dark Matter" video using VLC as client in one Puppy and minidlna as server in another Puppy over LAN connection.
(53.11 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
minidlna-1.2.1-i686-xenial.pet
Compiled from source in XenialPup32 - tested and working on my LAN
(160.24 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Oscar in England

Scott99

#7 Post by Scott99 »

Ok Oscar I'm almost there. This is what I see on my tv which has a Roku box:

scottspuppy: ReadyNAS

Browse Folders

Added: Unknown

and these folders

Browse Folders, Pictures

Music , Video

The folders are all empty and I don't know if they exist and if so, where they are located.

Hopefully, this will make sense to you or someone on the forum. Thanks again, Scott

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

In my VLC I just had to click the little arrow to expand the "Browse Folders" item and it showed the video which was the only file I had placed in my /mnt/home/media directory in the server computer.

So what is the location of your media files in the Puppy computer and have you set this directory as the media_dir in the /etc/minidlna.conf file?
Oscar in England

Scott99

#9 Post by Scott99 »

Do I need to nstall vcl on Roku? I couldn't find the config file in the /ect directory. media_dir=/mnt/home/desktop. The config file I edited is located in my root minidnla-1.2.1 folder.

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

No, you do not need to install VLC in Roku, I only used VLC as a substitute and as a way of testing without a Roku.

Did you use my .pet because I had to add the /etc/minidlna.conf file to it manually because the "make install" command does not do so? This means that if you did use my .pet it should be there. If you ended up compiling yourself it might not be there. Not sure about a config file under /root, that does not sound right to me. Is that where you extracted the source code? Maybe you are seeing the wrong config file.

Sounds like the minidlnad daemon is running and Roku is seeing it. The folders in Roku should correspond to folders in Puppy and depending on how you have set the config, one of those folders in Roku should be like a copy of your media_dir folder in Puppy and the media files should be displayed there and available for Roku to play them, but minidlna needs to be finding and registering the media files in the first place.
You might get some clues by looking at the log file at /var/log/upnp-av.log
Oscar in England

Scott99

#11 Post by Scott99 »

Hey Oscar, the only folders I can actually explore on my t.v. are Palemoon and Firefox. Am I supposed to create the media_drive folder? Can I search my computer to see if the folders I am seeing the t.v. have been created on my hard drive and where they are located? l did use your package and have copied the configuration file to etc. My firewall is off. I must be missing a step. I have minidnla installed. My computer is connected to the network via LAN. What is not happening is that I can't locate the media files on my computer on my Roku connected t.v.What does Ready-NAS mean and where did it come from? Thanks again. Scott

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

You only have to know where your media files are located in your Puppy PC, you mentioned that they are in /mnt/home/desktop
This could be a directory which you create in the Puppy PC specifically for the purpose, I named mine /mnt/home/media

Then make sure this has been defined in /etc/minidlna.conf
Find and edit the line so it reads:-
media_dir=/mnt/home/desktop

After making any changes you must restart minidlna
/etc/init.d/minidlna restart

You can inspect /var/log/upnp-av.log for information
It should tell you, among other things, how many files have been found by minidlna

Once you are sure minidlna has recognised them, they should become available in Roku over the LAN network. Most of the folder locations in Roku will be empty, you need to find the one that has the shared media files in it. I think you can sort them into different types of media (audio-pictures-video-etc) which would be in different folders but I didn't explore that.

I think ReadyNAS and minidlna are connected derivatives of the same basic thing but I am not sure exactly. The name which is displayed in Roku is supposed to be the name announced by minidlna and you can set this in /etc/minidlna.conf also.
Oscar in England

Scott99

#13 Post by Scott99 »

Hello Oscar, it's still not working. Does this output from the log file provide any clues?

[2020/02/29 08:54:40] minidlna.c:1048: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.2.1.
[2020/02/29 08:54:40] minidlna.c:350: warn: Removed media_dir detected; rebuilding...
[2020/02/29 08:54:40] minidlna.c:1089: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2020/02/29 08:54:40] playlist.c:135: warn: Parsing playlists...
[2020/02/29 08:54:40] playlist.c:269: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
[2020/02/29 10:32:10] minidlna.c:155: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2020/02/29 10:33:24] minidlna.c:1048: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.2.1.
[2020/02/29 10:33:24] minidlna.c:1089: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2020/02/29 10:58:00] minidlna.c:155: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2020/02/29 10:59:13] minidlna.c:1048: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.2.1.
[2020/02/29 10:59:13] minidlna.c:1089: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

Thanks. Hope you are enjoying your Saturday. What are the Royals up to today:)

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

I still think it is not set up and configured correctly, with the media files you want to "transmit" to Roku being all placed in a specific folder, and then the name of that folder being given as the media_dir in the config file.
That log shows no mention of a directory being scanned or files being found.

Booting fresh Xenial32 here with no save (so no /mnt/home)
My 2 media files are now in /mnt/sda3/media
I set the config to include this as my media_dir and start minidlna
My log looks like this
Note the scanning of /mnt/sda3/media and then when scanning finished - 2 files !

[2020/02/29 19:41:57] minidlna.c:1048: warn: Starting ReadyDLNA version 1.2.1.
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] minidlna.c:346: warn: Creating new database at /var/cache/minidlna/files.db
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] minidlna.c:1089: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] scanner.c:731: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda3/media
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] scanner.c:820: warn: Scanning /mnt/sda3/media finished (2 files)!
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] playlist.c:135: warn: Parsing playlists...
[2020/02/29 19:41:57] playlist.c:269: warn: Finished parsing playlists.
Oscar in England

ETP

#15 Post by ETP »

Hi Scott99,

I agree with Oscar that it is still not set up and configured correctly, but you are
close to success as you were when Roku saw your Palemoon folder within opt.
I am going to suggest an easy plan of attack which first involves re-winding.

1. Use PPM to uninstall Oscar's pet.

2. Reboot making sure that you save the session.

3. Visit /var/cache and delete the minidlna folder and it's contents.

4. Install Oscar's pet again but make no changes to any files.

5. So that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet we need a known quantity in terms of test media so
from the link below download the following 2 files: (They are in the more 'videos folder')

Blue Pup V6 - Oct 2014.png (Roku might need this)
Blue Pup V6 - Oct 2014.mpv (12MB)

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... PPOS6oYU6X

6. Copy those 2 files to opt which should then look similar to the shot below with the Palemoon folder and the 2 files.

7. Reboot again ensuring that you save the session.

8. Check the log to see whether 1 or 2 items have been parsed.

9. Check if the Roku can see and play the video.

Note:
Having media files in opt as Oscar stated is only for testing purposes as they should not be in a location
where they will add to your save file/folder. The objective here is to first establish whether your Roku can play an mp4
served up by minidlna running on a Pup.
ps
Ready-NAS was the former name of minidlna (NAS stood for Network Attached Storage)
Attachments
Extra-test-videos.png
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by ETP on Sat 29 Feb 2020, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Scott99

#16 Post by Scott99 »

Hi Oscar, could you post a screenshot of your conf file? Thanks, Scott

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

Not sure how much it helps. Most of the lines are commented-out explanations or commented-out default settings which don't have any effect.
In this one the media_dir has been set to the one I am using.
In yours it will need to be the path to the directory where you have put your media files.

The version of this file in the .pet has this media_dir path set to /opt
You can grab this by right-clicking the .pet and extracting with UExtract, then navigate within the extracted directory tree.
I hadn't "twigged" until ETP brilliantly pointed out that this was why you were seeing Palemoon in Roku because Palemoon in in /opt in XenialPup. This is an indication that it will all work once you get this media_dir path configured.
So as a test you can leave config unchanged and put a couple of media files in /opt as suggested.
From there you can change the path to point to where all your files for sharing are stored.

Anyway, as requested, the contents of /etc/minidlna.conf in my working test are:-

# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
#network_interface=eth0

# specify the user account name or uid to run as
user=root

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
# * if you want multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
# * if you want to restrict a media_dir to specific content types, you
# can prepend the types, followed by a comma, to the directory:
# + "A" for audio (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
# + "V" for video (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
# + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
# + "PV" for pictures and video (eg. media_dir=PV,/home/jmaggard/digital_camera)
media_dir=/mnt/sda3/media

# set this to merge all media_dir base contents into the root container
# note: the default is no
#merge_media_dirs=no

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients
friendly_name=Puppy DLNA Server

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache
#db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
#log_dir=/var/log

# set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged
# each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info, or debug
#log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=warn

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
# note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
# note: the default is yes
inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO
enable_tivo=no

# set this to beacon to use legacy broadcast discovery method
# defauts to bonjour if avahi is available
tivo_discovery=bonjour

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
# * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
# which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products.
strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
#presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.
notify_interval=900

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
# in its XML description
serial=12345678
model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
#minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
# possible values:
# + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
# + "B" - "Browse Directory"
# + "M" - "Music"
# + "V" - "Video"
# + "P" - "Pictures"
# + Or, you can specify the ObjectID of your desired root container (eg. 1$F for Music/Playlists)
# if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
#root_container=.

# always force SortCriteria to this value, regardless of the SortCriteria passed by the client
#force_sort_criteria=+upnp:class,+upnp:originalTrackNumber,+dc:title

# maximum number of simultaneous connections
# note: many clients open several simultaneous connections while streaming
#max_connections=50

# set this to yes to allow symlinks that point outside user-defined media_dirs.
#wide_links=no
Oscar in England

Scott99

#18 Post by Scott99 »

Dear Oscar and ETP, thank you for helping me. I followed ETP's steps and successfully played the test video. One last question (perhaps): should I now edit the media directory to point to my desktop (which, at least for now is where my video files are stored)? All the best, Scott

ETP

#19 Post by ETP »

Hi Scott99,

Good to hear that it is now working. I think you should go for proper placement straight
away as placing the files in the desktop folder will also result in them being backed up
in the save file/folder. Over time they can build up from a few hundred MB to GBs !
Left in the save file/folder they will slow down your boot speed and if the total is
large, exhaust your memory and swap file or swap partition if you have either of them.

They need to be in a media folder next to where your main sfs is stored.
The shot below shows Bionicpup 64 8.0 but 7.5 is almost the same.
So,
1. Create a media folder there as I have done in the shot below and place all your files in that folder.

2. Then edit the config file to read

media_dir=/mnt/home/media (save the change)

3. Reboot ensuring that you save the session.

@ All
Please help yourselves to any or all of the files in the shared link:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... PPOS6oYU6X
Attachments
Placement of mp4 & icons.png
(40.36 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Scott99

Problem Solved

#20 Post by Scott99 »

Thanks Oscar and ETP, I have minidlna up and running. Peace, Scott