Running Puppy on Acer Aspire One

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
JB4x4

#46 Post by JB4x4 »

Has anyone been able to use opengl / dri on the Aspire One??

Here is what I have done so far....

--Installed xorg_dri_7.3-1

Tried to run glxgears, but X crashes and returns to the prompt. I wonder if it may have something to do with the 915resolution hack.

Any ideas??

JB

deniros

#47 Post by deniros »

same here, glxgears only runs with lousy performance when uncommenting "dri" in xorg.conf.

have not found solution yet
JB4x4 wrote:Has anyone been able to use opengl / dri on the Aspire One??

Here is what I have done so far....

--Installed xorg_dri_7.3-1

Tried to run glxgears, but X crashes and returns to the prompt. I wonder if it may have something to do with the 915resolution hack.

Any ideas??

JB

fotoworks

wifi unable to make it work

#48 Post by fotoworks »

I have installed Puppy 4.1 on my Acer Aspire One 512mb 8gb and it seems an almost perfect combination.

For information the route I took to Puppy is - Linpus, Xubuntu, Debian live ee, Ubuntu,

Keen to get wifi working I installed :: madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16.pet after having removed the existing driver.

What I get has me stumped, I would appreciate whatever light anyone can shed on this.

In the network wizard itś id is ath0. and in blinky it is wifi0
in the wizard, testing wireless gives -Unable to connect to a wireless network.
Also in the wizard, clicking DHCP gives -Network configuration successful.

At the end of all this I am unable to connect.to wifi.

iscraigh

#49 Post by iscraigh »

On the aspire one wifi issue
I can kill my wifi connection by changing anything to do with my sound card module
IE: adding the suggested option line for the intel-hda sound chip.

To get it back I must uninstall the madwifi pet, reboot, reinstall pet, reboot, turn on wireless switch on the front (move it just once you get no feedback.) Then run the network wizard. It will survive reboots unless I make a change again. Can someone try to duplicate for me?

Thanks

Craig

PS: Any one get the internal mic to work yet.

Boneo

#50 Post by Boneo »

I'll need some help getting wifi to work on my Acer Aspire One with it's Atheros AR242x chipset. I'm using P4.1 and after reading the advice on here I assumed that I need to use the madwifi sourced ath5k_pci driver which I downloaded ie. madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16 wifi-modules.
I let the PETget package manager do the install and got a message saying as there was no name attached it wouldn't be added to the menu. ifconfig only shows the eth0 and iwconfig has no wireless extentions. Looks like I have no wifi chipset driver loaded yet I see that I've installed the madwifi package in Petget..

What do I need to do next?

iscraigh

#51 Post by iscraigh »

This should work I have done several installs. Have you gone into the network wizard (after a reboot), this seems to work for me.

Craig

Boneo

#52 Post by Boneo »

Thanks iscraigh, after a re-boot I've got into network wizard and it just shows eth(0) active. There's no relevant module in the list of modules except ath_pci which doesn't work (as expected). What's gone wrong? Whilst ath_pci isn't loaded nevertheless do I have to blacklist it?

Added later: My AA0 seems to have an Atheros AR242x chipset not like others reporting AR5007EG who are using the earlier quoted madwifi solution. Incidentally my Ubuntu Intrepid on a flash works with the madwifi sourced ath5k driver on the AA0 though I'm not sure if I'm comparing like with like.

iscraigh

#53 Post by iscraigh »

I will check when I get home but if I am correct it is the ath-pci module that will work the ath5k works with the 27 kenel that intrepid has.

Can you try renaming your save file, booting up with puppy pfix=ram,
install the pet file, shutdown making a new save file, reboot and go into the network wizard. Oh and if after boot it shows up and doesnt work then move the wireless switch on the front (just once you will get no indication it did anything)wait 30 seconds and do the network manager thing again.

Craig

tempestuous

#54 Post by tempestuous »

Boneo wrote:I assumed that I need to use the madwifi sourced ath5k_pci driver which I downloaded ie. madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3861-k2.6.25.16 wifi-modules.
Yes, that's the correct dotpet package to use but no, that package does not contain the "ath5k" module, it contains a modified "ath_pci" module.
The ath5k module does not work properly with Puppy 4.1's 2.6.25.16 kernel.

After installing this dotpet package and rebooting, you should ensure that the "ath_pci" module is loaded in the Network Wizard.

Boneo

#55 Post by Boneo »

I'm not making any progress. I removed and re-installed the madwifi-hal package and I can see it's there in Petget package manager. Rebooting, selecting the ath_pci , rebooting etc doesn't get my wlan(0) recognised. I'm not really sure if I'm loading a new ath_pci or the old original ath_pci.Whilst I've been working at this loading and unloading of network modules I notice sometimes I get a report that ath_pci is already loaded when I was about to load it.

tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy will automatically load the ath_pci module, it should not be necessary to manually load it.

And we're talking about Puppy 4.1, right? The madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6 driver is not compatible with 4.1-retro.

iscraigh

#57 Post by iscraigh »

start fresh with pfix=ram load just that pet make a new save file with a different name, reboot.

Network wizard/ath0/scan if that see's no network move the network switch over once and try again after a reboot

I will try to remaster mine and post an iso of a working one sometime over the weekend if it does not work for you.
Craig

Boneo

#58 Post by Boneo »

tempestuous you deserve a star, I suspect that I've now found the reason why my wifi doesn't work. I'd used UNetbootin running on XP to create my USB flash Puppy 4.1 and the only Puppy version option was the "Latest_Live" so I assumed it was the latest kernel but uname -r showed otherwise, I've been running my Puppy on 2.6.21.7 that is the retro kernel which apparently doesn't work with the latest madwifi drivers which I'd loaded.
Assume I know nothing, how can I create Puppy on a USB flash memory stick that has the latest kernel?

iscraigh

#59 Post by iscraigh »

Boot up a pc with a cd of the latest puppy 4.11
then use the universal installer in the menu to install to a usb stick. I have done a remaster with the alsa patch(internal mic will work) and wifi, I will test and post within a couple of days.

Craig

Boneo

#60 Post by Boneo »

Job done after I downloaded a newer Puppy iso. I'm posting with wifi from my USB flash stick. A few changes to xorg were needed to get a satisfactory resolution and touch pad. One thing I've found that's different, the desktop's "Connect" icon rather than going into the network wizard it opens a new window with pgprs -connect Press CTRL +C to disconnect at the top.
Next project is to get my bluetooth mouse working.

Kallethen

#61 Post by Kallethen »

If you are using Unetbootin, there is an option for copying an already downloaded ISO onto the flash drive. Select "Diskimage" instead of "Distribution" and fill out the location box to where your file is stored.

tempestuous

#62 Post by tempestuous »

iscraigh wrote:alsa patch (internal mic will work)
Ah, that's the first confirmation I have heard.
I will note that audio driver is working in the original forum post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 886#245886

tempestuous

#63 Post by tempestuous »

Boneo wrote:I've been running my Puppy on 2.6.21.7 that is the retro kernel which apparently doesn't work with the latest madwifi drivers
Of course. Modules (drivers) are kernel-specific.

iscraigh

#64 Post by iscraigh »

sorry I didn't post about the internal mic earlier I just tested last night.
My quick remaster appears to work for both the alsa and the wifi. you will be able to find a link @ http://www.humyo.com/F/6099101-246705607

If anyone can host it that would be great I am not sure how quick I will reach my download limit. I will try to work on incorporating all of the fixes by next week. I am going to try to do a better remaster possibly based on box pup ( having trouble thus far) or puppy 4.1.1 with a more netbook friendly interface.

I will need help from the experts to fine tune.

Craig

kevin-isca

#65 Post by kevin-isca »

Hi

This sounds really good. If you can get a working puppy with openbox for the aspire I'd love to try it.
How is the battery working with Puppy? The times I have tried booting 4.11 off usb it has seemed to drain far faster than when running Linpus - returned to a simple XFCE state! Time varies but less than two hours rather than 2.5

Cheerio