Heralding the arrival of Pizzapup 1.0.5!

News, happenings
Nathan F

#31 Post by Nathan F »

Here's the icewm unleashed package that I made. I replaced the menu with G2's Puppy-1.0.5 menu. This should make remastering the cd easier and neater.

This was made using G2's dotpup-see his post above. It's actually really easy to do yourself.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#32 Post by GuestToo »

i'm not sure about optimization

i think having a bigger image.gz means you need a little more ram when it first boots, but i think anything in /root0 (stuff that is copied from image.gz to /root) is deleted soon after it boots anyway, which frees up some ram ... anything in usr_cram.fs stays in usr_cram.fs and is not deleted, so it would stay in ram (whether you use it or not) ... i'm not sure which is better

Pizzapup had Icewm Help enabled in the menu, and Timidity needs a larger buffer ... other than that, i didn't notice any problems ... i could easily make a Pizzapup-Service-Pack dotpup for any tweaks and bugfixes

(also, for Timidity, i set the default volume higher ... when you click Timidity in the menu, a window pops up saying to launch midi files from the command line, but Timidity seem to have a gui, i think if the menu runs timidity -ig it should start the gui, but maybe there was a reason it was done that way)

i usually use my Set-Clock-From-The-Internet dotpup to set my clock (automatically from the internet) ... i think MU has a Time Set dotpup that is supposed to work well ... they are pretty small, because they are just scripts (setting the time from the internet is really just 2 commands, rdate and hwclock )

if you use Rox 2.3 for the desktop icons, it takes over the wallpaper and desktop colour (right click a desktop icon and click Background to set the wallpaper and/or desktop colour) ... maybe that can be disabled, if it can, i don't know how ... Barry's wizards that set the wallpaper/desktop-colour will not work if you use Rox 2.3 for the desktop icons (actually, it does work, you just don't see that layer) ... the Icewm background won't seem to work either, for the same reason

i have a program (dotpup) that creates an Icewm Unleashed package from your installed Icewm ... i think it should work ok, i haven't actually tested it by making an iso with it, but i think it should work ... the idea was, i would not make an Unleashed package with my own preferences and themes and configuration, you would set up icewm the way you like and my program would make an Unleashed package from your Icewm files

Amd 64

#33 Post by Guest »

couldi use iton an amd64pc

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know, that depends on Puppy itself, not Pizzapup.

Hmm, I thought I fixed the help thing when I made it. I did lose a small session of work at one point, but I don't think that was it. Oh well.

If you want to make a service pack, that's fine with me. I'm done updating this edition of Pizzapup unless something severe is found. The next one will probably have a preview first because it will have more significant changes, but this one only seems to have minor problems.

Also, I was aware that the old rox and the wizards were still there. I left them just in case the old rox was needed, because I still don't 100% trust 2.3. The next edition will leave it behind, but I'll make a dotpup to put it back.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Raman

MD5 for Pizzapup 105? Time&Date on Desktop?

#35 Post by Raman »

The link to Pizzapup 105 MD5 seems to be broken. Can you supply the MD5? Perhaps putting the MD5 sum on the release notes would make it easier to check the (dial up) download, which can be in serious error given the slow download speeds and dirty dial up connections and long, long download times in certain (very) remote parts of the world. Like mine.

Also, to restate my Time&Date request, please consider putting the Time&Date setting on the desktop like in the official 1.0.5 release. Some of us poor, downtrodden folks use fairly junky equipment and BIOS batteries can get old, and so forth, so setting time and date is a daily chore if the old BIOS is funky and batteries are hard to get in some (very) remote parts of the world.

Hail Puppy!

Raman

#36 Post by Guest »

1cabfba446700c99ce36a692fc6f7bd0

Pizzasgood

#37 Post by Pizzasgood »

The link to Pizzapup 105 MD5 seems to be broken
Sorry about that, I assumed Ted_Dog put the md5sum file on his server, but he just linked to mine :oops: I re-uploaded it, so all is well again.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

#38 Post by Guest »

Hello to all!

The idea of Pizzapup is wonderful. I like it. I also like Puppy that Im using for two months. But I have a problem with pizzapup edition so naturally I have a question.

When I start pizzapup everything goes well until the message:
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
and there the system stops.
Where is the problem??? I have 64MB ram. On my new PC work well!!!!
Thanks! hope you`ll help me!

Nathan F

#39 Post by Nathan F »

WaWeeT,

I think the problem yo're having is that Pizzapup has a much larger image.gz than the regular Puppy. You're probably running out of ram just at that point during the boot process, which is exactly where I would expect it to stall under the circumstances.

I don't know if there's any workarounds for oyur situation if this is indeed the problem, but someone else may know a solution.

Nathan

Pizzasgood

#40 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's what it sounds like to me. Good looks come with a price :(
The image.gz is 19 megabytes. Standard Puppy's is 6.8
Thats roughly three times. Next time I'm going to utilize the usr_cram.fs file more. I wanted to keep the stuff in the default install locations, but I see now that that was a bad idea. Like they say, you only stick a screw-driver into the electrical outlet once.

#41 Post by Guest »

Hehe!

This is bad news!
But I have 150MB of swap! Does it help???
I like Pizzasgood edition.
So I had to use standard Puppy edition.

thanks
and keep inprove Pizzasgood!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#42 Post by GuestToo »

i do not think swap will help if image.gz is too big

when the live cd boots, the boot loader unzips the Linux kernel (vmlinuz) in ram

image.gz is unzipped in ram and mounted on a ram drive (initrd - initial ram drive) ... this is a file system that has /bin, /sbin, /lib etc etc etc) ... the kernel starts running /sbin/init to start Puppy

at this point, swap is not mounted yet

the disadvantage in putting extra stuff in image.gz is that when you first boot, the larger image.gz requires more ram than a smaller image.gz would

the advantage is, after Puppy starts running, some of the stuff in ram is deleted so it doesn't take as much space ... if you put the extra stuff in usr_cram.fs, it does not get deleted, and stays in ram and uses up space in ram (but if usr_cram.fs does not get copied to ram, for example on a machine with not much ram, then usr_cram.fs does not take up space in ram)

another advantage to putting stuff in image.gz: if the extra stuff is stuff that gets copied to /root, like roxapps in /root/my-roxapps, then when Puppy runs, those apps are running from the hard drive, and are not being kept in ram at all (they only get into ram if they are actually used ... for example, icewm themes that are not being used are on the hard drive, not in ram)

so it's kinda complicated, and i'm not sure which is the best way to do it, but it's probably good to keep image.gz small

Pizzasgood

#43 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry WaWeeT. Next time I'm going to monitor my image.gz size. I'm also going to put firefox in usr_cram.fs. That's where a good bit of the size came from. I feel like slapping myself over that one. :roll:

Actually, I just got an idea. I don't know how well it would work for non-live cd installs though. I could set up a compressed file with everything extra that isn't needed to boot, then have it installed after it's setup. That way it would go into the pupfile. I could have a flag somewhere so it doesn't get copied every time. That would work with no pupfile also. I'm just not sure about multisession and option 2 installs. I think it would work with an option two if I did it right, but I know nearly nothing about multisession. There's so much going on in the forums that I gave up on keeping track of it. :|

If it was on the cd as therestofthesystem.tgz, would it show up in multisession? I think is should work in that case.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#44 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to do something like:

Code: Select all

if [ ! -r /etc/therestofthesystemisinstalled ]
then
  mount /mnt/cdrom
  tar -xzP --no-same-owner -f /mnt/cdrom/therestofthesystem.tgz
  touch /etc/therestofthesystemisinstalled
  umount /mnt/cdrom
fi
the advantage of this is, the extra stuff is on the cd and on the hard drive, not in ram ... the disadvantage is, it doesn't run as fast when it is not kept in ram ... this should not be important if pup001 is on the hard drive, but if it is on a slow usb drive, it would make more difference

most of my roxapps can be moved anywhere you like ... for example, to /usr/local/apps/ ... a few like Rox 2.3 can't (but could be moved if you hack it slightly ... it's just the way i chose to do it ... an easy way to move Rox 2.3 would be to move it where ever you like and put a symlink to it in my-roxapps)

#45 Post by Guest »

LuitLinux has a option to mount openoffice later when you log in XFCE.
This could be a good tool to mount later some programs such as office tools and games and some littleusedprograms. It would free some ram.

Probaly I will tray barebone edition and pupget a icewm wm and firefox! I hope it will work fine!

Sorry for my english! I hope you understand me! hehe

lightningfast35

#46 Post by lightningfast35 »

1st off, awesome puplet. I'm going to put this on my sis' aging P2 for some new life and freedom from Windows maintenance 8) .

I was wondering how to change the desktop wallpaper because when I go:

Control Panel --> Change desktop image --> select my .jpg

the wallpaper doesn't change. I'm using Pizzapup 1.0.5 in IceWM.

Pizzasgood

#47 Post by Pizzasgood »

Right click a desktop icon, go to backdrop, and drag the image you want to use to the box.

The entry in control-panel is for the version of Rox that Puppy normally uses. I left it because I left the old Rox in case someone prefers it. Pizzapup uses Rox 2.3 by default, which is set how I said above.

shagpile

#48 Post by shagpile »

May be a lot of effort, but will a pizzapup1.0.6 be coming out soon :D

Pizzasgood

#49 Post by Pizzasgood »

Highly doubtful. I do plan to make a stipped down version of the standard Puppy when I work on some more built-into-Puppy type projects to speed up the testing and ease the downloading.

As far as when I'll do this, probably not for a week or two. I've been so busy that I haven't even downloaded version 1.0.6 yet :( I get a whole week off of school for Thanksgiving, so that's the most likely time it would get done.

Rough list of apps
gftp
dillo
beaver
old-rox
IceWM or JWM-{probably JWM. If Ice, then small theme}
Perl-{Maybe}
gxine
standard system-stuff

Just about everything else will have to go.

dulac

Re: Heralding the arrival of Pizzapup 1.0.5!

#50 Post by dulac »

[quote="Pizzasgood"]Puppy 1.0.5: Pizzapup Edition
Pizzapup 1.0.5 now available by bit torrent at http://linuxtracker.org/
md5sum

Excelent looks... my favorite.

Just waiting for the 1.06... or 1.07... whatever comes first!

Cheers!
There are so many good and free OSs out there... But most people are stucked with
the mouse-maker OS because of all the nice programs they didn't do... Sad! Isn't it?!?