Compiling kernels for 2.4.x

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
psi_g33k

Re: What is best distro for compiling?

#1 Post by psi_g33k »

Hey everyone,
(first post, so lemme get this out of the way.... Barry, Puppy is awesome. While I don't think "thanks" is enough for your efforts and time...thanks!)

Now, is there any definitive answer to the whole "which distro" question (for compiling)? I need the Garmin USB drivers that were included in the kernel after 2.6.10.x (I think?), so I'm wondering which kernel / distro to start with for Puppy 1.0.2 - 2.6.7 and Slack? VL?

I found / read the older page on compiling kernels for 2.4.x....can I follow it loosely for 1.0.2 and use an updated kernel??

Any help / suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-James

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

Hi,

Sorry this was mistakenly split when I was doing some "maintenance".

Either way I thought it merited a separate post.

Cheers
JohnM

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Ah, yes, things are happening in that department...

I'm really getting to like Vector Linux 5.0STD.

I'm developing something new, to be called "Suppy Sourcerer", which is for compiling source tarballs for Unleashed. I'm doing this in Vector.

Regarding the kernel, I'm awaiting the release of 2.6.12, then I'll compile it in vector, then see if vector can actually run with the same kernel as will use in Puppy ...if so, then the decision will be to go with Vector.
Then I'll update the web page on how to compile the kernel.

So you see, it's an awkward moment right now, in transition...

psi_g33k

#4 Post by psi_g33k »

Sorry this was mistakenly split when I was doing some "maintenance".
Not a problem (it took me a minute to find it); that thread was becoming a tad 'messy' ;-P.
So you see, it's an awkward moment right now, in transition...
Barry - I have downloaded and installed Vector 5 beta - which I am liking, and it solves my immediate problem (the Garmin GPS driver is included)... so I'll toy with VL for now, but I'll keep an eye out for your updated HOWTO - Thanks!

-James