4.1 Alpha 5

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#106 Post by rcrsn51 »

I stand corrected. A fresh copy of 4.00 does not have a /mnt/hda1 folder . I was misled by your statement
anything I write to "/mnt/sda1(hda1)"

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#107 Post by Béèm »

otropogo wrote:
Béèm wrote:@otropogo
trange. I have a 12.6GB partition, vfat, on which I have a pup_save file.
Through /mnt/home I can read, write, delete etc.. to the part outside the pup_save file without problem.
ortropogo wrote:which Puppy version are your running?
Dingo 405
ortropogo wrote:does your partition also have zdrv_400.sfs on it?
No and no zdrv_405.sfs either
ortropogo wrote:Which physical drive is it on (1st, 2nd, or 3rd IDE etc)?
1e HDD (only one)
ortropogo wrote:Which partition is it?
2e
ortropogo wrote:How large is your pup_save file?
704MB
ortropogo wrote:Can you access the data written to this partition when booting with another Pup version?
Yes, with Puppy302 f.e.

I use the Lin'N'Win method for my frugal installs.

So in my laptop I have 1 HDD with 2 partitions.

Partition 1 is ntfs and has Windows XP.
For each version of puppy I want to use I create a directory.
puppy302, puppy400, puppy405
I mount the iso's (no creation of a CD) and copy the base files to those created directories. So f.e. in puppy400 I have also the zdrv_400.sfs

I copied the grup loader from Lin'N'Win to the root of the ntfs partition and made it selectable through the boot.ini
For every version of puppy I have, I create the entry in menu.lst

Partition 2 is a vfat.
It contains the pup_save files corresponding for each version.

When I boot I choose GRUB and once in GRUB I select the puppy version to boot.
I get that selection screen to choose the pup_sav file to use, so I take the one corresponding to the puppy version I boot from.

Boot continues until the desktop.
/mnt/home points to the partition 2.
I can save any file to it and thus it is outside the pup_save file.
I can choose to save a file inside the pup_save file if I want.

So installing a new version is a piece of cake.
Download the new iso.
Make a new directory on the ntfs partition for the new version.
Copy the pup_save file and give it a new name with the new version in it.
Add an entry in menu.lst for the new version.
Mount the new iso and copy the puppy base files to the newly created directory.

Boot and choose the new version in GRUB.

See the info on Lin'N'Win
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

otropogo

#108 Post by otropogo »

Hi Beem,

It looks like your setup is considerably different from mine. Aside from the different partition placement, if I understand your post correctly, you have Puppy in a frugal install to hard drive, while I'm booting from the LiveCD each time.

I should add that after moving both my 2fs files and zdrv off the hard drive to flash cards, and then moving them back to the hard drive, the problem I described has disappeared, although everything looks exactly the same.

So now when I try to copy 800MB of data to /mnt/home, it completes with no problem, instead of stopping at 400MB. And I can now read those files with 405, even though they were copied with 4.0, and xprot can now scan the first partition.

I'm interested in a couple of things you said, and wonder if you could explain them.

1. you mentioned that you could copy files into your save file or outside of them as you choose,

How do you copy a file into into the 2fs file, and why would you want to?

2. you also mentioned "mounting the ISO". Do you mean that literally? Are you running puppy from ISO without the use of a LiveCD or disk install? If so, that's something I'd like to investigate for my laptop, as it has no CDROM or USB, and none of the other load options Puppy is famous for seem to work anymore.

I've got a frugal install of 3.01 Retro on the laptop, and with it I can access a pcmcia scsi CDROM drive, pcmcia flash cards, and the network.So getting files onto the hard drive is not a problem. But booting is.

I can't even boot the installed version except with the WakePup floppy. I was never able to get Grub to boot from the hard drive, and only once managed to create a working Grub boot floppy. But it got corrupted and I haven't been able to repeat the trick.

Given all these problems, I'm not prepared to do a hard drive install or to try another Grub installation on the laptop. But if I could boot an ISO or a virtual LiveCD using a floppy, that would definitely be worth trying.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#109 Post by Béèm »

ortropogo wrote:1. you mentioned that you could copy files into your save file or outside of them as you choose,

A small example for using the pup_save.
I created in /root another directory: my-pictures
When I take a screenshot to highlight a post, I put the .png file in there.
So this is inside the pup_save.

Secondly newly installed programs (pets) go automatically inside the pup_save in my case.

All other files like documents, spreadsheets etc... go on a USB attached HDD, It has a vfat partition as this HDD is connected to my desktop if needed. So All my important data is accessible to both my laptop in XP and Puppy and the desktop in XP.

Most of the time this external HDD is plugged in the desktop in a docking station. With pnethood I go from the linux laptop to the share in the desktop XP to retrieve and update those documents.
Time savers:

Béèm

#110 Post by Béèm »

ortropogo wrote:2. you also mentioned "mounting the ISO". Do you mean that literally? Are you running puppy from ISO without the use of a LiveCD or disk install? If so, that's something I'd like to investigate for my laptop, as it has no CDROM or USB, and none of the other load options Puppy is famous for seem to work anymore.
I had a bad experience trying to install a linux on my laptop with MBR on the partion to boot from etc...
I couldn't boot XP anymore and it took me one week of asking questions and scanning forums before I could solve the issue.

I swore I would never allow anymore for a MBR to be written on my PC's.

I then saw the method in the Lin'N'Win project
The method is very simple.
So on my ntfs partition I have the different puppy version and flavors, each in their own directory. So the base files for puppy 400 in puppy400, those for puppy 403 in puppy403 and now those of puppy 405 in puppy405

Let's say I start from puppy 403. I have a pup_save pup_save.403.2fs
I download the new 405 ISO image to that famous external HDD.
I create on the ntfs partition (hda1/sda1) the new directory puppy405
Still in 403 I go to the directory where I copied the 405 ISO and in rox click on it. The ISO is mounted. and I copy all the files to the new directory puppy405 on the ntfs partition.
I go to menu.lst and create an entry for puppy 405.
I reboot the system and edit the puppy 405 entry in GRUB to add pfix=ram. I boot and I answer the questions for the keyboard and X.
I am in puppy 405 now, but without a pup_save file.
I then copy the pup_save.403.2fs to pup_save.405.2fs and reboot (no need to save the configuration)
This time I don't edit to add pfix=ram.
I get the list with the pup_save files and select the newly created pup_save.405.sfs
During the boot process it is detected that there is a version change (403 to 405) and a versioncleanup directory is created in /tmp.
Ones in the desktop, I run puppy 405 with the updated pup_save for puppy 405.

Very simple and no need to burn CD's/DVD's anymore.
Time savers:

nooby

#111 Post by nooby »

Beem,
tanks indeed for such detailed description. Seems to be a good
set up to have an external hdd with eerything important if the Computer
get broken HDD it wont effect what one saved on the hdd.

But Ifail to get this iso open thing. Are you doing it with a puppy program and how do you tell it to extract them to that new folder/directory?

Or are you doing it in windows and what program can do such.

I always have to burn it first in windows using burncdcc and then open the cd with the windows file viewing program and copy the files over.

would be very practical if I could do it all from within puppy and stay in puppy too.

Does that need one are in different hdd or could I open an iso on same sda1 or hda1 as the puppy are in frugal install on?

Hope it is not a too much derail for the thread.
I can delete it and send pm if you want.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

trapster

#112 Post by trapster »

With puppy 300 and up you can just click on an .sfs or .iso file and it will open the contents in a rox file window.

You can then open another rox window and drag from the .iso contents to copy wherever.

This is also how I download and boot different puppies with Windows. I use tiny.exe from gujin to boot with.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

otropogo

#113 Post by otropogo »

Béèm wrote:
ortropogo wrote:1. you mentioned that you could copy files into your save file or outside of them as you choose,

A small example for using the pup_save.
I created in /root another directory: my-pictures
When I take a screenshot to highlight a post, I put the .png file in there.
So this is inside the pup_save.
"What do you mean by "take a screenshot to highlight a post"?

Béèm wrote:Secondly newly installed programs (pets) go automatically inside the pup_save in my case.
Of course, but as you say, that happens automatically in the case of pets or pups. Or by carefully directed placement in other cases.

IOW, it seems extremely unlikely that any user would accidentally write data files to the pup_save , and certainly not repeatedly.

nooby

#114 Post by nooby »

trapster wrote:With puppy 300 and up you can just click on an .sfs or .iso file and it will open the contents in a rox file window.

You can then open another rox window and drag from the .iso contents to copy wherever.

This is also how I download and boot different puppies with Windows. I use tiny.exe from gujin to boot with.
Thanks I download teenpup today and test
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

otropogo

#115 Post by otropogo »

Béèm wrote:...

I had a bad experience trying to install a linux on my laptop with MBR on the partion to boot from etc...
I couldn't boot XP anymore and it took me one week of asking questions and scanning forums before I could solve the issue.
Basically what happened to the Win98 installation on my laptop, except that my disaster was permanent, due to my having run afoul of both Gparted (which "sucessfully" resized my two DOS partitions) and GRUB, which refused to boot either DOS or Puppy, and further messed up everything.
Béèm wrote:I swore I would never allow anymore for a MBR to be written on my PC's.

I then saw the method in the Lin'N'Win project
The method is very simple.
Sounds very promising, and I'll see if I can make it work on my systems. Thanks!

otropogo

#116 Post by otropogo »

trapster wrote:With puppy 300 and up you can just click on an .sfs or .iso file and it will open the contents in a rox file window.

Other than moving the ISOs and sfs files around (and does that include 2fs files?), can you also edit them?

I ask specifically because of a very annoying problem I'm experiencing with xfprot.

With some help from GeoW, I managed to get xfprot running under 405 on my main Linux desktop. However, where I really need to run it is on my Win98 system, which hasn't been properly scanned since Fprot dropped free DOS sig files months ago.

Since I'm running 405 from LiveCD, I thought I should be able to simply write the 2fs file holding the configuration to a flash card, then boot the other system with the LiveCD and the pup_save file from the Puppy system. 405 comes up fine, but when I try to run xfprot, it aborts with a "version number not found" error, or words to that effect.

Have posted this problem some time ago, but haven't had any feedback. Is it possible to edit a pup_save file to preadapt it to another hardware platform?

Béèm

#117 Post by Béèm »

If you know exactly where to edit that pup_save file you can boot with pfix=ram and through rox, mount that pup_save.2fs file and do all the editing you want.
Time savers:

CHLee

Freememapplet disappear

#118 Post by CHLee »

Last I posted the "Freememapplet disappear after frugal install", and have more information now.
If the size of pup_save.2fs is small(<512M), the Freememapplet disappear.
If the size of pup_save.2fs is big(>512M), the Freememapplet display normal.
Hope can help debug. Thanks !
C.H.Lee

RoteSocke

#119 Post by RoteSocke »

Is it possible to kompile the nfs-Support for my own?

On Dingo, i needed only to modules:
sunrpc.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/net/sunrpc
lockd.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/fs/lockd

How can I do this?
Or could somebody compyle them and upload them to this forum?

djringjr

#120 Post by djringjr »

nic2109 wrote:Hello; to open the optical drive tray is easy:

1) open a Terminal session (Main menu => System => Terminal)

2) type 'eject'
Nice try, Nick, but that won't work because the cd won't unmount because it is being used

[/code]# eject
umount: cannot umount /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2: Device or resource busy
eject: unmount of `/dev/sr0' failed
#

Code: Select all

I wish there was a way to do this!!!

It makes this version of Puppy not so good because to play DVD or copy CD/DVD or even remaster Puppy, you now have to buy an additional DVD player so you can watch movies!

Best

David 

Caneri

#121 Post by Caneri »

Hi David,

I'm not sure if this helps you but Barry's blog has an entry for this senario (i think) as follows..

Optical drive now released
4.1-testers reported that when upgrading from an earlier pup_save file, the CD/DVD drive remained mounted.

This is actually a bug from 4.00. When you boot Puppy from CD for the very first time, or boot with "pfix=ram", at shutdown you are asked if you want to copy the 'pup_xxx.sfs' file from CD to the same place as the pup_save file, and normally you would reply yes. Then at next bootup Puppy will find the pup_xxx.sfs file on the hard drive and use that.

However, when upgrading a pup_save, the CD has a later pup_xxx.sfs file, let's say 'pup_406.sfs' and this is only on the CD. If Puppy decides not to copy it to RAM then it is mounted from where it is, thus leaving the optical drive mounted.

I have fixed this. The 'init' script detects this situation and copies the pup_xxx.sfs to the same place as the pup_save, thus freeing up the optical drive.

http://puppylinux.com/blog/

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Béèm

Pup_save not asked to be saved.

#122 Post by Béèm »

I got this from Dingo 400 on, but as I was away for 8 weeks didn't report it yet.
When I start from GRUB (Lin'N'Win) and boot with pfix=ram or select 0 at the pup_save list, I am not asked if I want to save the session, alltho I had to configure X and the keyboard.
Very annoying if one wants to start from scratch.
Time savers:

djringjr

#123 Post by djringjr »

Yes, I believe you are right. I'll try copying the pup_xxx.sfs file to the hard drive. I had suspected that.

Thanks old friend,

DR
Caneri wrote:Hi David,

I'm not sure if this helps you but Barry's blog has an entry for this senario (i think) as follows..

Optical drive now released
4.1-testers reported that when upgrading from an earlier pup_save file, the CD/DVD drive remained mounted.

This is actually a bug from 4.00. When you boot Puppy from CD for the very first time, or boot with "pfix=ram", at shutdown you are asked if you want to copy the 'pup_xxx.sfs' file from CD to the same place as the pup_save file, and normally you would reply yes. Then at next bootup Puppy will find the pup_xxx.sfs file on the hard drive and use that.

However, when upgrading a pup_save, the CD has a later pup_xxx.sfs file, let's say 'pup_406.sfs' and this is only on the CD. If Puppy decides not to copy it to RAM then it is mounted from where it is, thus leaving the optical drive mounted.

I have fixed this. The 'init' script detects this situation and copies the pup_xxx.sfs to the same place as the pup_save, thus freeing up the optical drive.

http://puppylinux.com/blog/

Best,
Eric

djringjr

#124 Post by djringjr »

This is NOT a bug - but it is a report of a missing program that tells us where we should get our programs.

gslapt is NOT installed.

If Barry Kauler wants us to get packages from gslapt, he should include it.

I know that you can install afterwards, but its NOT being included might send a message to the less knowledgeable user: "gslapt isn't included so search elsewhere for programs!"

If it is safe, gslapt should be included, if it causes problems, then stick with the pets and pups and include Puppy Software Installer.

Thanks

David

djringjr

#125 Post by djringjr »

Bug: Petget Package Manager - When "all" is checked, PPM does NOT show the "building blocks" in the list.

Feature Request: Petget Package Manager needs a search engine. It is time consuming and difficult to search for each of the repositories by separately repeating the search.

Best

David