4.1 Alpha 5

Please post any bugs you have found
Keef

#46 Post by Keef »

Still getting the same problem I have had with previous alphas:
After making a savefile, I cannot select it if there is another savefile to choose from - keyboard will not respond. Keyboard works fine on first run, or if I ignore savefiles, so it is not a fault with the keyboard.
This has also been reported by GeorgR with previous alphas.

Flapdoodle

#47 Post by Flapdoodle »

I reported Package Manager was working fine... Not quite.

Apps that were installed from some source other than PETget manager can be uninstalled, but so far none will uninstall if they are put in by Package Manager.

Nevermore

#48 Post by Nevermore »

hello
tested on my eeepc
it works and boots faster than 4.0 but the wireless is not available nor after loading module.
so no internet
--
/sbin/Nevermore

PaulBx1

#49 Post by PaulBx1 »

Ran into an interesting problem, in rox-filer I think. I was working with several spreadsheets. If you open them in rox by clicking on them, they do open but do not appear on the task bar (which can make switching back and forth among them nigh impossible). If you instead go into gnumeric, and open them via the file menu there, they DO show up on the taskbar. I neglected to see if the same would happen with abiword or other application files.

The jwm default theme is that grey gradient, I think. With that one it is extremely difficult to tell which item in the taskbar you have selected. If you use the original theme, it is as plain as day. The gradient may be a bit prettier, but function is more important than pretty, so I suggest changing the default theme.

tempestuous

#50 Post by tempestuous »

Nevermore wrote:the wireless is not available nor after loading module.
You Eee owners should know by now that your Atheros chipset requires a special variant of the ath_pci driver. You should also check the forum for updates, such as "Extras for Puppy 4.1" -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 445#219445

Crash

#51 Post by Crash »

I tried out PCMCIA compatibility on a Dell Inspiron computer, circa 2003. It uses a Pentium 4M with a TI PCI-4510 Cardbus controller. A Sandisk CF card was plugged into the PC Card slot through a Sandisk CF-to-PCMCIA adapter.

I had six different versions of Puppy Linux loaded on a 1 GB USB thumb drive for the test. Versions tested were:

4.00 with Kernel 2.6.21.7
4.00 with Kernel 2.6.25

The first three (2.17, 3.01, and 4.00 with Kernel 2.6.21.7) identified the CF card OK, as "hde1". The last three (4.00 with Kernel 2.6.25, 4.02, and 4.05) did not recognize the CF card.

Actually, I would normally just boot to the USB thumb drive, so there is no loss in capability. Perhaps for older PC Card controllers, the results would be positive, but I don't currently have access to an older machine to find out.

P.S. The built-in mouse pad worked fine on all six versions.

GeoW

mouse copy from text file & paste into terminal not working

#52 Post by GeoW »

In puppy 403 I highlighted commands from a text file, dropped them
into a terminal, and executed them.

I used this extensively to download, compile, and test updates to Ayttm.

This feature is not working in 405. I can't figure out any way to drop a
highlighted line into a terminal.

I have an inexpensive PS2 laser mouse - 2 buttons and a wheel.

Intel D850MV, P4/1.5GHz, 256MB RDRAM, 16G HD/ 1 NTFS partition

GeoW

gazb

fprot

#53 Post by gazb »

when I opened fprot from menu it asked to click ok if i wanted to download it or click the x close if not. When I clicked the x close box it started to download anyway.

paulh177

#54 Post by paulh177 »

It seems that when I try "Setup CD/DVD reader and burner drives" Puppy 4.1a5 never sees "default DVD reader" -- it sees the CD ok and the burner ok but not the "middle one".

Code: Select all

Puppy has probed your PC and found these CD/DVD drives:
/dev/sr0 HL-DT-STDVDRAM_GSA-T20N_

Puppy thinks the default CDROM reader drive is:  /dev/sr0
Puppy thinks the default DVD reader drive is:    
Puppy thinks the default burner drive is:        /dev/sr0

DEVICE LINKS:
/dev/cdrom is currently linked to: /dev/sr0.
/dev/dvd is currently linked to:   /dev/sr0.
I can select it ok (sr0) but it never gets remembered. If I open the dialogue again it's missing once more.

Paul

Lin'n'Win Frugal on VFAT ptn
CD/DVD -- LG GSA-T20N

pigshed

acpi/apm problem

#55 Post by pigshed »

I've been playing more with my "not shutting down" problem. Where the system just stops at system halted.

Conclusions or discoveries so far.

1: when you spend a couple of hours alternatively booting alpha 5 and 4.0 you begin to appreciate how much quicker alpha 5 is.

2: On my machine . a Laptop - Panasonic toughbook CF-71 with a PIII 600 intel coppermine :

In Puppy 4. 2.6.21.7 APM loads by default. In hardinfo shows APM bios of 1.2 . Shutdown & battery information works and shows correctly. Fan runs as required as it's controlled by the machine not the OS.

If I insert ACPI=FORCE into grub. The ACPI modules all load up and APM is not loaded. Shutdown and battery work correctly and the FAN kicks in at sensible temperatures - even though it's now being controlled by the OS.

If ACPI is running on your machine you can look in the sensor section of HARDINFO and it will tell you the temperatures. On mine - sensible seems to be the fan running at 42 Degrees C .. If you only have APM running the sensor section isn't populated with temperature information (or at least it isn't on mine).

In ALPHA 5 (and previous ones) 2.6.25.11 APM runs by default again - though Shutdown just causes the machine to stop at System halted. ACPI=FORCE solves this problem.. BUT ..... Even though all the ACPI modules are loaded - the fan NEVER starts - I've taken it to 79 degrees so far before aborting - I'm sure it'll run higher before total meltdown but I don't think I'm doing it any favours on the longevity front.

So my questions are : in 2.6.25.11 is there a bug in the PM module which causes shutdown not to work correctly (I've read elsewhere about setting "APM power_off=1" to get round the problem - but can't work out where to enter that to test it.

Is it possible there is a bug in the 2.6.25.11 ACPI modules which is causing the fan not to engage ? On workstations you may not notice as the PSU fan will be running - the system may not hand over CPU fan control to the OS - so it may not be a problem - but worth keeping an eye on the temperature when you have the processor working hard just to check. It maybe more of a laptop issue - though some laptops may not hand over fan control when running ACPI to the OS either ..

I started another thread with the acpi=force question, so if anyone has any other conclusions or results probably best to post them in there so as not to fill this thread :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32035

Cheers, Adam.

plinej

#56 Post by plinej »

I haven't read thru all the bugs and don't have time right now but I just noticed a possible problem. It seems that when I shut the lid to my laptop all of my running torrents start to slow down and die until I open the lid again. Is this some kind of suspend feature in the kernel or a module that's loaded? I'm wirelessly connected to my router via the ath5k module. I don't recall having this problem in 4.0 but I'll have to boot that up later today when I get a chance to see if it works okay.

tempestuous

#57 Post by tempestuous »

plinej wrote:I'm wirelessly connected to my router via the ath5k module.
That's the first report of success I have seen regarding the ath5k wifi driver.

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

Not to in any way dampen our enthusiasm but why do we named it
4.1 A5 when it clearly says puppy-4.0.5-seamonkey.iso

I feel so lost or something. :)

Yes I download it and have some 4 minutes remaining
ok trhee minutes. Ok ...

Still testing but it works as expect I guess. Sometimes it hangs
on youtube just after the second choice and sometimes one
can see ten to twenty clips in a row and go back and forth without
hanging so I guess it is not related to Puppy at all.

I am too lazy to test it on Belkin wifi cause we have nobody else
active often enough for me to be patient to see if I see their closed
system from my window. They live too far away and my computer is
too far from window so signal very weak.

What is most important to test?
Last edited by nooby on Sun 03 Aug 2008, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

zygo

#59 Post by zygo »

rerwin: So, there's no way to dial up then? I tried pupdial from 4.0 in this alpha and got the same error: after a second it diconnects with exit code=16.

Barry: can you add a preference option to pmount. 'Do not eject disk after unmounting drive'

nooby: http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00135

capoverde

#60 Post by capoverde »

Testing puppy-4.0.5-ide_kernel, MD5 checked OK, booted with "pfix=ram":

booted quickly, connected OK (more complicated menu is probably needed, but less clear IMHO);

could not get MUT to work, neither by setting it as the default engine in Puppy Drive Mounter nor by calling it in the terminal;

after about four-five minutes the mouse (optical USB) froze completely, and so did the whole system - had to reboot, this is being written with Dingo 4 booted from an SD card. Thus in my case this kind of problem doesn't come from the SATA kernel, if that was suspected.

plinej

#61 Post by plinej »

I'm now using the 4.0.5 ide version and was just experimenting with my laptop/internet problem posted above. It seems when I shut my lid to my laptop all of my internet traffic stops. This never used to happen to me in previous puppies. I could start torrents, shut the lid and when I came back and opened my laptop the torrents would be finished. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just torrents so I went to youtube and started a video then shut my lid. After a little under a minute the video will stop. When I re-open the lid it immediately starts back up again. My laptop doesn't go into a suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk mode. I can play audio from my hard drive and it will continue to play after I shut the lid. Once again I'm using the ath5k module to wirelessly connect to my router. Anyone else with laptops experience the same thing?

dogone

Re: mouse copy from text file & paste into terminal not work

#62 Post by dogone »

GeoW wrote:In puppy 403 I highlighted commands from a text file, dropped them into a terminal, and executed them....This feature is not working in 405.
GeoW, you'll be relieved to know that your highlight and paste trick is alive and well in 405. I used it just now. See if this agrees with your experience.

1. highlight text with left-click, hold and drag.
2. position the mouse pointer above where you wish to paste and middle-click. The text will appear and can be pasted repeatedly until you press the left or right button.

It's easy to flub this procedure by, for example, left-clicking to set the cursor where where you wish the paste. The paste fails because the left-click steals the focus from the original text. Another simple error is forgetting that the middle mouse button commits the paste.

Anyway, try it again and report if there's no joy.

plinej

#63 Post by plinej »

Alright, my problem appears to be the ath5k module. Previous versions of the madwifi driver worked fine for me. The old ones that worked created the connection as ath0 this new version uses wlan0. I removed the ath5k & mac80211 modules and then used ndiswrapper & the windows driver. The windows driver works correctly.

Barry, can you compile an older source of the madwifi drivers for this kernel?

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

plinej wrote:Barry, can you compile an older source of the madwifi drivers for this kernel?
It's already there. Just modify /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG to use ath_pci in preference to ath5k -
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?page=10

plinej

#65 Post by plinej »

Thanks tempestuous, that did the trick. It seems the ath5k module must be buggy.