4.1 Alpha 5

Please post any bugs you have found
plinej

#61 Post by plinej »

I'm now using the 4.0.5 ide version and was just experimenting with my laptop/internet problem posted above. It seems when I shut my lid to my laptop all of my internet traffic stops. This never used to happen to me in previous puppies. I could start torrents, shut the lid and when I came back and opened my laptop the torrents would be finished. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just torrents so I went to youtube and started a video then shut my lid. After a little under a minute the video will stop. When I re-open the lid it immediately starts back up again. My laptop doesn't go into a suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk mode. I can play audio from my hard drive and it will continue to play after I shut the lid. Once again I'm using the ath5k module to wirelessly connect to my router. Anyone else with laptops experience the same thing?

dogone

Re: mouse copy from text file & paste into terminal not work

#62 Post by dogone »

GeoW wrote:In puppy 403 I highlighted commands from a text file, dropped them into a terminal, and executed them....This feature is not working in 405.
GeoW, you'll be relieved to know that your highlight and paste trick is alive and well in 405. I used it just now. See if this agrees with your experience.

1. highlight text with left-click, hold and drag.
2. position the mouse pointer above where you wish to paste and middle-click. The text will appear and can be pasted repeatedly until you press the left or right button.

It's easy to flub this procedure by, for example, left-clicking to set the cursor where where you wish the paste. The paste fails because the left-click steals the focus from the original text. Another simple error is forgetting that the middle mouse button commits the paste.

Anyway, try it again and report if there's no joy.

plinej

#63 Post by plinej »

Alright, my problem appears to be the ath5k module. Previous versions of the madwifi driver worked fine for me. The old ones that worked created the connection as ath0 this new version uses wlan0. I removed the ath5k & mac80211 modules and then used ndiswrapper & the windows driver. The windows driver works correctly.

Barry, can you compile an older source of the madwifi drivers for this kernel?

tempestuous

#64 Post by tempestuous »

plinej wrote:Barry, can you compile an older source of the madwifi drivers for this kernel?
It's already there. Just modify /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG to use ath_pci in preference to ath5k -
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?page=10

plinej

#65 Post by plinej »

Thanks tempestuous, that did the trick. It seems the ath5k module must be buggy.

Jim1911

#66 Post by Jim1911 »

Tried puppy-4.0.5-ide_kernel using pfix=clear since I had save files with the previous 4.0.5. On my Dell Dimension 8250 with two hard drives, neither showed up with p-mount, therefore I could not mount partitions that were not mounted during bootup. Went back to the previous version and they showed up properly. On a Sony vaio laptop with one drive, it showed up properly with the puppy-4.0.5-ide_kernel.

Thanks for your great work.
Jim

Jesse

#67 Post by Jesse »

I've had spontaneous kernel lockups with the two kernel editions for puppy 4.1alpha5 (the initial edition and then the IDE kernel edition).
My system seems very stable, it stays working for many hours, then the mouse stops moving, sound stops, screen stops updating, so I assume its a kernel lockup.
I know this kernel has some wireless networking built in, but I don't have wireless networking, just ethernet networking.
Its a real nice distro, but a pity as its not stable enough for me.

Nevermore

#68 Post by Nevermore »

i tested alpha5 on my eeepc and loaded the asus-acpi module from the forum
it does work correctly, turns off wireless and back on, however if i don't load the led-class module sometime the led flicker..
with led class no problem..
i am unsure if this is caused by low battery on my eeepc but i will make more tests later once the battery charges

with full charged battery no need for led-class. i won't load it anymore.

however is not possible to save using heavy encryption, if doing so the system takes very long for generating the pup_save file then at next reboot the password won't be accepted.
--
/sbin/Nevermore

Sage

#69 Post by Sage »

OK - a day's work and I've found at least one cause of reported lock-ups in 4.1alpha5. It's that damnable, accursed Seab*st*rd. I hate it; I loathe it. No matter how much memory you throw at it, no matter how conservatively you operate your system, eventually it will crash the entire edifice.

Please, please, Barry, believe me - this piece of rubbish has caused me more grief in more distros than almost anything else except 'doze. It is bloated beyond belief, badly coded (who am I to judge, though!) and in trying to do so many things, fails to do any of them well. It taints your talents at every turn. I may only be an humble user, but I know what I see.

Don't just take my word for it, the Forum shows a preponderance of preferences for other browsers. Opera would be my choice by a country mile. It may have a few quirks and require a little more effort to set up by the user, but it stands way out in another league. Even Firefox from the same Mozilla stable (as in horses, rather than adjectival) seems relatively benign in comparison and has a much bigger cross-platform following.

I would never ever under any circumstances use Seathing's email client, so it sits there wasting my resources. Sylpheed and Claws are entirely satisfactory for 90% of users. Unfortunately, the excellent Eudora won't work in Linux, even with Wine, but there are ways of making eg Evolution work if you must have a top-level client. Since I hate Gnome and won't be using MU's Muppy+Gnome, I'll have to pass on Evolution itself, but there are others?

This is an Achilles' Heel that is long past time for rectification.

djringjr

#70 Post by djringjr »

Opera is a very good browser - it even magnifies making it a great choice for the visually impaired.

Barry, a couple of "regrets" about Puppy 4.1 alpha 5.

No more mut. Mut is much better than pmount.

You cannot un-mount the CD that you booted from. One of the distinctive features of Puppy from Knoppix and others was that you could remove the CD/DVD and play a movie, etc.

Partview has been removed - this is excellent when you have quite a few partitions to store things in. There is NO good way to find out how much free space is on a partition before you download a big file. Blah!

I'm not used to disks being mounted as S1, S0 - the old hda1, hda2, etc was very easy for me!

Make the CD unmountable, put in Partview , and put in mut - mut allowed me to play CDs, DVDs by pressing a button!

Best Down Under,

David

rerwin

Mixed success with SmartLink modems

#71 Post by rerwin »

In testing with a PCI SL modem, the device appears to be detected, but loading of driver module slamr fails. If I edit pup_event_backend_modprobe to add logging of modprobe errors, the following are logged:
sh: modprobe: command not found
sh: modprobe: command not found
FATAL: Error running install command for slamr
If the PCI modem is not physically installed, those messages do not occur.

To work around this, I added loading of slamr through the BootManager. The modem was then detected (on reboot) and performed normally!

After removing the PCI modem, I booted with a fresh pup_save and a SL USB modem plugged in. I did this with both my Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8GHz) and K2-400 (400MHZ) PCs and got different results. The slow PC detected it and it functioned normally. But the fast machine apparently runs the slmodem initialization before the slusb module is completely loaded! I got it to work by inserting a 3-second delay/sleep into the slmodem script before the test for the presence of the module.

I conclude that some means is needed to synchronize the script execution with the completion of module loading. While the 3-second delay was not noticeable, even faster PCs may require a longer delay. There must be a way to determine that the drivers are loaded before running the "service" initialzation scripts (in rc.services, I presume). Without it, I fear we may see unreliable initialization behavior.
Richard

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#72 Post by Lobster »

Tried the IDE kernel with Puppy pfix=ram
On my mouse / keyboard problematic No 1 machine
(that runs Puppy 4 OK)

Got a fatal error during the boot up
Keyboard flashing - complete freeze
This is the kernel error that displayed:

Code: Select all

Code : Bad EIP value
EIP : [<000000000>] 0x0 SS:ESP 0068:c04a9f54
Kernel panic not synching! Fatal exception in interrupt
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GeoW

#73 Post by GeoW »

dogone,

Thanks for your post. I actually use this feature all the time. It works
within a text file and between text files and from a chat window to the
address bar. It just would not work for me from a text file into a console.

I have gotten around it by starting up Glipper. It requires an extra step
but it does the job.

GeoW

BarryK
Puppy Master

#74 Post by BarryK »

For you guys who have reported 4.1alpha5 locking up, can you please give this new build (with 2.6.25.14 kernel) a go:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00276
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#75 Post by Lobster »

can you please give this new build (with 2.6.25.14 kernel) a go:
OK :)

mouse locked - within 5 seconds
and keyboard within same time :?

One strange result:
I rebooted from Puppy 4 (used puppy pfix=ram of course)
and the keyboard actually froze at the 'select keyboard stage'

I turned the machine off and waited 20 seconds
and it was OK and I got to the Puppy 'cyclist' screen
then the mouse and keyboard froze as reported

I would remind you that this lock up was experienced with Hardy Heron
Is it now confirmed as a Linux kernel problem?

Sorry it is not better news :(
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PaulBx1

#76 Post by PaulBx1 »

I'm still wondering if these lockups are related to /tmp being in ram rather than in the pupsave. Symptoms sound similar. Guys, see if /tmp is filling up, before the lockup...

RoteSocke

#77 Post by RoteSocke »

First of all: Nice work. With 4.1 i was able to compile vdr an use it with my Nexus-Card as output-device to my TV.
Great.

BUT, one problem is still there.
I need nfs, because all important data are on a Server with nfs-Shares.

On puppy 4.0 this workaround works:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30529

Inserting nfs in the setup with puppy boot configuration does not work. Modprobe nfs gives me:

Code: Select all

sunrpc: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_put_task
nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_proc
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_proc_register
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_wake_up_task
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_write_pages
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_shutdown_client
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_recv
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_inline_decode
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_mkpipe
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_wake_up
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_exit_thread
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_opaque
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_read_pages
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_opaque_fixed
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_sleep_on
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_run_task
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_print_iostats
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_enter_page
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_pages
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_create_xprt
nfs: Unknown symbol __rpc_wait_for_completion_task
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_setbufsize
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_clone_client
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_process
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_peeraddr2str
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_init_decode
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_max_payload
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_proc_unregister
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_create
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_destroy
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_call_start
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_create
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_call_sync
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_queue_upcall
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_delay
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_create_thread
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_killall_tasks
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_reserve_space
nfs: Unknown symbol rpcauth_lookupcred
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_restart_call
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_inline_pages
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_init_wait_queue
nfs: Unknown symbol put_rpccred
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_string
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_unlink
nfs: Unknown symbol svc_print_addr
nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_init
nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_call_async
nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_done
nfs: Unknown symbol rpcauth_create
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_init_encode
nfs: Unknown symbol nfs_debug
nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_shift_buf
hda: UDMA/33 mode selected

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

strange hotplug behavior

#78 Post by Béèm »

First: great that my ipw2100 hw is detected, configured and configuration sticking between boots.

Now for the hotplug issue.
The picture says a lot.

I have a laptop with an internal IDE HDD with 2 partitions.
They used to be hda1 and hda2 up till puppy403.
I have an external USB HDD with 4 partitions and they were sda1-4 up till puppy403
The picture shows the desktop icons for 403, but this is the same in 405 except that MNTD is now the big yellow dot
I always migrated the pup_save from Dingo version to the next one.
That makes me think, that some file in there is causing this, but I don't know in what direction to start looking.
Any suggestions?
Attachments
hotplug-403-pan.png
(166.34 KiB) Downloaded 700 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

RoteSocke

#79 Post by RoteSocke »

is it possible to get the kernel-sources, or are they the same as from kernel.org?

I get errors while making lirc. configure was ok.
Where can i get the lirc_serial module?

tempestuous

#80 Post by tempestuous »

RoteSocke wrote:is it possible to get the kernel-sources
http://puptrix.org/sources/