Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 12:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
4.1 Alpha 5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 7 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 04:18    Post_subject: Ethernet over firewire broke. (Dingo 405)  

I can no longer connect the Dingo laptop with the XP desktop via FireWire (1394) All seems to be configured correctly and I have the blinky icon for this 1394 interface. (eth2)

When I try in Puppy 302a1 it is working.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
pigshed

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 07:47    Post_subject:
Sub_title: NOSMP ACPI tests

Tested shutdown problem with NOSMP parameter.

To confirm - APM, not ACPI runs by default (on puppy 4 and Alpha). Everything works correctly in Puppy 4 without ACPI running. System won't shutdown by default on the alphas and with ACPI=force - system fan never kicks in.

-----------------------

NOSMP parameter added - Shutdown stops at System Halted.

NOSMP pfix=ram - Shutdown stops at System Halted

NOSMP pfix=ram ACPI=FORCE - Shutdown causes Shutdown ! AND !!!! The with nosmp parameter- the CPU fan now works correctly in Alpha.

Cheers, Adam.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 08:45    Post_subject:  

Can you include SDL and OpenAL and DRI on by default ?
RoteSocke

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug 2008, 10:55    Post_subject:  

Quote:

I have compiled LIRC for 2.6.25.11, now attached to the MPlayer thread -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=222212#222212
Any further queries, please post there.

Thanks tempestuous!

It's working. Now puppy is also a Distribution for vdr.
I will create a howto for installing vdr.
Perhaps it could be interesting, to make an entry on vdr-wiki.de, or an entry on vdr-portal.de.
RoteSocke

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 07:49    Post_subject: nfs?  

Is there a possibility to mount nfs-Shares from a Server to puppy?

nfs is not known in puppy alpha 5. The module nfs is loadable, but if i load it with
modprobe nfs
it gives a kernel compatibility error
Perhaps a bug in nfs.ko?
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 15:32    Post_subject: 2fs on hdd blocks read/write access in 4.0/4.05!!
Sub_title: Pmount shows 8.1GB available on sda1/hda1, but only access is to alotted 2fs space

Have posted about this before, but have seen no useful response (apologies in advance if I've somehow missed it).

I've been saving my 4.0 (kernel 2.6.21) and 4.05 pup_save.2fs files to the 1st partition on my system's hard drive /sda1/hda1, formated vfat. The second partition is linux swap, the third ext2.

.Pmount and MuppyQuickmount both show this first partition as being 8.9GB in size and having 8GB or so "free".

But it can be accessed only as /mnt/home, and although I can write to "/mnt/sda1(hda1), the write fails if I exceed the allotted space of the current 2fs file (1GB for 4.0, 256MB for 4.05).

So the remaining 8GB of space is totally wasted.

Furthermore, anything I write to "/mnt/sda1(hda1)" is only accessible when the corresponding Puppy is running. Thus, anything I save to the partition during a 4.0 session is inaccessible when I'm running 4.05.

In order to recover the use of the wasted 8GB, I copied the 2fs files and the 4.0 zdrv_400.sfs files to a CF card (using the other version in each case), then deleted them files from /mnt/sda1(hda1).

Now I can finally write more than 1GB of data to my 9GB vfat partition, AND access it from any puppy, whether booting clean or with a save file.

BUT to do it, I now have to give up the ability to write to the unused 1GB of my 2GB CF card, which is now hosting my 2fs files, as well as the ability to remove the card and write to another one, since Puppy won't allow me to unmount it (just as it wouldn't let me unmount sda1/hda1 when it was hosting the 2fs files)

I assume the gravity of this defect would be obvious to the participants of this forum, and am hoping that this time around my report will get some serious attention. (ie. a bit more than "oh really? that shouldn't be happening...".)

Maybe some of you could try it yourselves. It should only take a few minutes if you have a LiveCd handy.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 15:41    Post_subject:  

@otropogo
trange. I have a 12.6GB partition, vfat, on which I have a pup_save file.
Through /mnt/home I can read, write, delete etc.. to the part outside the pup_save file without problem.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
djringjr

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 17:07    Post_subject:  

Woof Woof!

Hello everyone!

Is there a way to eject the CD so that I can insert a different disk - as to play a DVD movie or burn a new CD?

Mut was very elegant - I loved it's simple functionality. Eject, mount, and Gxine buttons as well as Rox were all there to use.

I love the tri-colored disk icons someone posted! If you could add "eject" and "Gxine" to the group, I'd be in love again.

It will take me a bit to get used to the new disk numbering system!

So is there a way to eject the 4.1 a 5 CD and use the CD (or DVD/CD) drive for movies, playing CDs or buring CDs?

Best

David
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 17:13    Post_subject:  

Béèm wrote:
@otropogo
trange. I have a 12.6GB partition, vfat, on which I have a pup_save file.
Through /mnt/home I can read, write, delete etc.. to the part outside the pup_save file without problem.

which Puppy version are your running?

does your partition also have zdrv_400.sfs on it?

Which physical drive is it on (1st, 2nd, or 3rd IDE etc)?

Which partition is it?

How large is your pup_save file?

Can you access the data written to this partition when booting with another Pup version?
nic2109

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 17:17    Post_subject:
Sub_title: How to eject a CD/DVD

Hello; to open the optical drive tray is easy:

1) open a Terminal session (Main menu => System => Terminal)

2) type 'eject'

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 17:23    Post_subject: New modem fixes for reported problems
Sub_title: Refines probing and initialzation scripts

To resolve the problems I reported earlier at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=219621#219621
I am appending a dot pet with the fixes as well as the corresponding difference files.

The following changes were made:
1. Modemprobe changed to utilize the current /dev/modem target device if the probe for it is successful. Previously, the device found via /dev/modem was ignored, making the probe useless. Also added return of wvdialconf result to pupdial (so code could be added there to correct its report to the user -- when not modem found).

2. To prevent the probe from attributing a successful probe to the wrong device (an old problem), particularly after a modem changeout, most of the PCI-modem scripts delete their device links/nodes if their driver is not loaded, leaving the device link/node for only the active/resident modem(s). In these cases, /dev/modem is also deleted, since it would point to a non-existent link/node. (This fix trusts that Puppy will create only the link/node required by a loaded PCI-modem driver module, as done in alpha5.)

3. Added ttyS... links for the Intel modems, so that modemprobe can find them. But ensured that the actual device name is retained.

4. Restored prioritization links for SmartLink modems, so that USB type checked first, then PCI, then ALSA. The ttySL0 link is not managed, since it does not conflict with the other PCI modems.

The attached dotpet is suitable for testing, since the modem scripts are in both the operational directory and the firmware tarballs. For incorporation into the next alpha, only /usr/sbin/modemprobe and the /lib/module/all-firmware tarballs need be copied into the "master."

BTW, since the "martian" Lucent driver does not work in alpha5, I compiled and ran it, and tested its script successfully in Puppy 4.0. I hope that the loading problems with martian_dev and slamr are related to the SMP kernel, and that they will work in the promised uniprocessor kernel. The slamr problem can be worked around, but the martian problem is a showstopper.
Richard

Unfortunately, I am unable to attach my dotpet file containing the corresponding all-firmware tarballs, receiving the following forum response:
Quote:
Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.
However, apparently the diff listings and the scripts themselves were accepted.
modemfixes_for_406-no_tarballs-1.pet
Description  All of the scripts but no tarballs. I can send the tarballs directly to Barry if requested.
pet

Download 
Filename  modemfixes_for_406-no_tarballs-1.pet 
Filesize  9.2 KB 
Downloaded  316 Time(s) 
modemprobe_for_4.0.6.tar.gz
Description  This is only the modemprobe script, the most important part of the fix, and the most code.
gz

Download 
Filename  modemprobe_for_4.0.6.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.66 KB 
Downloaded  323 Time(s) 
modemfixdiff406.tar.gz
Description  Difference listings for modemprobe and the modem init scripts. Not for use in testing.
gz

Download 
Filename  modemfixdiff406.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.1 KB 
Downloaded  294 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 17:49    Post_subject:  

otropogo: I have attempted to replicate your situation. I booted off a 4.00 CD and made a pristine 32 MB savefile in a 10 GB vfat partition. I then rebooted and successfully copied a 90 MB file to /mnt/home. Like Beem, it was obvious which areas were inside the savefile and what was in hda1 external to the savefile. Even when I manually mounted hda1 as /mnt/hda1, I was still outside of the savefile. I then booted another Puppy Live CD and had the same success.

I don't want to get into an argument over whether you have found a Puppy defect, but I am curious about how you are mounting /mnt/hda1.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 18:38    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo: I have attempted to replicate your situation. I booted off a 4.00 CD and made a pristine 32 MB savefile in a 10 GB vfat partition. I then rebooted and successfully copied a 90 MB file to /mnt/home. Like Beem, it was obvious which areas were inside the savefile and what was in hda1 external to the savefile.

Obvious - how?

In my many, many trials with this problem, both in 4.0 and in 4 alpha5, I was only ever able to get at one writeable directory on my host partition "/mnt/home", which contained the 2fs files. The only direction from there was the "parent directory" , which led right back to /mnt/home.

Both Pmount and MuppyQuickmount produced the same results. The host drive was shown as having some 7.9GB of free space, but when I dragged and dropped an 800MB folder into /mnt/home, only 400MB or so were written (the amount of space left in my 2fs file).

When I rebooted with the other version, that 400MB was not accessible.

Nor could xfprot access the data written there with 4.0, since I had xfprot working only on 4.05.

rcrsn51 wrote:
Even when I manually mounted hda1 as /mnt/hda1, I was still outside of the savefile. I then booted another Puppy Live CD and had the same success.

Well, guess what? After copying all of my 2fs files and the zdrv file to flash, deleting the originals from sda1/hda1, and then copying them all back again to hda1/sda1, the problem has disappeared.

I'm now able to write the whole 800MB file to /mnt/home without getting an error, and I can access it with either version.

Yet the directory looks exactly the same as it did when I had the problem, And I initially installed the original 2fs files strictly by the default procedure.

I ran the live CD and accepted its suggestion to write the save file to one of the available drives, allowed it to abstain from searching for a serial mouse (an unadvisable choice anyway, as detailed elsewhere), and declined the offer to write the 400.sfs file to the hard drive.

In other words, the handicap I've endured for weeks (ever since I tried to clear my camera and found my other partition full) is built into Puppy's installation structure somehow - don't ask ME how. And the fact that I've been able to "fix" it on my machine now, with some desperate file shuffling (ie. "voodoo"), doesn't get rid of the bug. It just makes it harder to fix.

Like any problem, intermittency makes diagnosis hellishly more difficult. If everyone using Puppy experienced it, or even a significant number of regulars here, it would soon be solved.

If someone with the necessary technical skill had paid attention when I first posted the problem, we might have been able to figure out what was causing it. Now that opportunity is probably gone.

rcrsn51 wrote:
I don't want to get into an argument over whether you have found a Puppy defect, but I am curious about how you are mounting /mnt/hda1.

I find your question strange. The host drive for the pup_save file in use has always automounted on my system and been locked in that state on startup .. Pmount shows it as sda1 or hda1 with the "unmount" tab greyed out.

If I click on its icon in the Pmount window or on the desktop, /mnt/home opens. If I use ROX to navigate the filesystem, I can go uparrow/mnt/home. All these routes take me to the same place. "sda1/hda1" don't appear anywhere except in the pmount window and during the boot process, when the choice of save files is offered.

In Rox, /mnt/home is shown as a symlink to /initrd/mnt/dev_save, but when you click on it, the resulting window looks exactly the same as it does if you click on the desktop drive icon or the one in the Pmount window.

Nor has that changed since the problem was "fixed".

If the user has mount options for the host partition, or other paths to accessing it while mounted, they're well hidden.

What are they?

Edited_time_total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 18:58    Post_subject:  

There is no bug. I believe that you are not using the Puppy filesystem correctly.

When you run Pmount and click on the "hda1" button, a window opens into your full hda1 partition. Puppy names it /mnt/home. You can confirm this because you should see your pupsave file there. If you drag files into this window, you will be saving them where you want.

However, if you click the up-arrow, you are now in the /mnt folder which is part of your "personal" filesystem built inside the pupsave file. If you then go into the hda1 subfolder and store files there, you are actually putting them in your pupsave file. This is because the /mnt/hda1 folder is not automatically connected to /dev/hda1. It is the /mnt/home folder that is serving that purpose when you boot off the Live CD.
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2008, 19:36    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
There is no bug. I believe that you are not using the Puppy filesystem correctly.

When you run Pmount and click on the "hda1" button, a window opens into your full hda1 partition. Puppy names it /mnt/home. You can confirm this because you should see your pupsave file there. If you drag files into this window, you will be saving them where you want.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I've just finished editing my orignal response, apparently while you were responding to it.

The "proper" procedure your describe is EXACTLY what I have always done.

rcrsn51 wrote:
However, if you click the up-arrow, you are now in the /mnt folder which is part of your personal filesystem. If you then go into the hda1 subfolder and store files there, you are actually putting them inside your pupsave file.

Well, that's something I've never tried, and I couldn't even do it now if I wanted to because THERE IS NO HDA1/SDA1 subfolder as you describe, only exactly the same folder /mnt/home that I see when I click on /mnt/sda1 in the pmount window or on the /mnt/home icon on the desktop.

If what you say were true, then my 1GB save file would have inexplicably expanded all by itself to more than 1.8GB, since there are 1.2GB of image files in the folder at the location you describe - click on sda1 icon in Pmount, click on uparrow, click on "home" (as there is no sd1 there, or anywhere else in the file tree)

rcrsn51 wrote:
This is because the /mnt/hda1 folder is not automatically connected to /dev/hda1. It is the /mnt/home folder that is serving that purpose when you boot off the Live CD.

I think you need to reread my post and rethink our analysis. It clearly doesn't address either the present or the original situation.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 7 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum